What does the bible say about self-mutilation/self harm and could we go to Hell for it?

The purpose of the forum is to allow people to post spiritual questions for which they would like answers from their fellow board members.

What does the bible say about self-mutilation/self harm and could we go to Hell for it?

Postby Never thirsty! » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:21 pm

I'm a cutter and I know He probably doesn't like me making myself suffer. Nothing anyone says helps but if I heard it from a fellow Christian it would make a huge difference “why didn't you ask a pastor?” Well I don't know how my pastor will take it he's unpredictable 99.999999 percent of the time so I have no clue if he will say something that is a 00.000001 percent of the time response or not. Feel free to add some well why didn't you ask... questions because I might find someone that I will be able to ask
Never thirsty!

Re: What does the bible say about self-mutilation/self harm and could we go to Hell for it?

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:17 pm

To my knowledge, the Bible doesn't talk about self-harm. Not the kind you're talking about, anyway.

I think (and hope) we can all agree self-harm is a bad thing--but I honestly don't know whether I'd call it a "sin". It's a complicated issue, like suicide, and if it's a sin it can't be treated like theft or lying or picking on your younger sibling. Treating it as simply a sin or a bad habit that will go away if you just guilt yourself or pray or "rely on God" more isn't going to work at all.

Cutters are deeply hurting, broken people. The cutting and self-harm itself is just an indicator and a coping mechanism for deeper emotional issues, like depression or self-loathing. If cutting is something you struggle with, having people tell you you're sending yourself to Hell is NOT going to fix those issues and can only hurt you more. Don't seek people that will treat you that way--seek someone that will help you find professional help, or can at least be there to listen to whatever's hurting you.

Whether it's a sin or not, and whether it means anything to you or not, you're worth something to God. So take care of yourself. Don't smother yourself trying to fight this all alone. Don't get hung up on whether you should be feeling guilty. Seek. Help.
FllMtl Novelist

Re: What does the bible say about self-mutilation/self harm and could we go to Hell for it?

Postby Okami » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:23 pm

Cutting is a very serious issue. It's a difficult topic, as has already been mentioned. If it's any sympathy, when I said in your prayer thread that you are not alone, I meant it...I know the pain...I am a recovering cutter, myself. Cutting stems out of a lot of deeply broken, deeply rooted places in our heart. It shows a physical hurt caused by an even greater emotional pain. A lot of it are lies, maybe you'll understand thoughts like these: "I'm not good enough, I'll never be good enough, I'm not worth anything, I'm hopeless/stupid/f***ed up, things will never get better, I can't change," etc.

Sometimes cutting stems out of a legitimate unmet need, like feeling loved and accepted (sometimes even attention, yes, it's true). Whatever the cause, it's a struggle, and doesn't change overnight to being recovered. That's why counseling, seeking professional help, is suggested to move forward. But it's ultimately your decision as to whether or not you want to get better.

I'm just going to quote this all again for emphasis, as I agree:
Cutters are deeply hurting, broken people. The cutting and self-harm itself is just an indicator and a coping mechanism for deeper emotional issues, like depression or self-loathing. If cutting is something you struggle with, having people tell you you're sending yourself to Hell is NOT going to fix those issues and can only hurt you more. Don't seek people that will treat you that way--seek someone that will help you find professional help, or can at least be there to listen to whatever's hurting you.

Whether it's a sin or not, and whether it means anything to you or not, you're worth something to God. So take care of yourself. Don't smother yourself trying to fight this all alone. Don't get hung up on whether you should be feeling guilty. Seek. Help.

Again, if you have the time, check out To Write Love On Her Arms' Story (This links directly to the story, and not just the homepage.) They also have a link to various helps, as well, which could prove beneficial to you! :) Please know that I know how hard it is to come clean, and I appreciate your willingness to trust this forum with what's going on. My PM box is always open if you need a place to vent or rant... But know we can only be of so much support; we are not professionals equipped in psychology. You're worth more than self-destruction.
Okami

Postby Xeno » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:16 pm

Cutting couldn't send you to hell any more than being born with a mental disability could. Is it something you can get help for, that you can eventually get control of and most likely stop doing? Absolutely. But it's not something that your holy book can be used to condemn without stretching and working scriptures to do so. The important thing to do here is to get help for your physical and mental well being because cutting is not healthy for those things. Once that is taken care of, if you end up feeling that a spiritual well-being is benefited as well then that is great, but that is far from the thing you need to focus on with this issue.
Xeno

Postby SierraLea » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:59 pm

I believe the comandment "Thou Shalt Not Kill" applies in this situation. This comandment actually addresses a lot more than just outright murder, like killing someone's spirit with undue criticism. Self harm is you causing a little death in yourself.
Also, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit?" Do you want to go cutting at the wrists of that temple with a razor?
SierraLea

Postby Okami » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:18 pm

SierraLea wrote:I believe the comandment "Thou Shalt Not Kill" applies in this situation. This comandment actually addresses a lot more than just outright murder, like killing someone's spirit with undue criticism. Self harm is you causing a little death in yourself.
Also, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit?" Do you want to go cutting at the wrists of that temple with a razor?

I know it's well-meaning and all, but throwing Scripture out-of-context like this can cause additional guilt/shame for a person's behavior....
Okami

Postby Sheenar » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:50 pm

Okami wrote:
SierraLea wrote:I believe the comandment "Thou Shalt Not Kill" applies in this situation. This comandment actually addresses a lot more than just outright murder, like killing someone's spirit with undue criticism. Self harm is you causing a little death in yourself.

I know it's well-meaning and all, but throwing Scripture out-of-context like this can cause additional guilt/shame for a person's behavior....

I agree with Okami here. Those Scriptures were in no way referring to cutting in particular. You have to read the verses around them to get proper context.

Okami and Xeno already said what I would say on the subject. I also used to self-harm (in ways other than cutting). It is a release --an unhealthy release--but still a release. Professional counseling and finding other ways to decompress/de-stress has helped a LOT with this issue in my life.
Sheenar

Postby theblackmist » Thu May 02, 2013 11:06 pm

Hell doesn't really exist as a place where anyone could end up at anymore. So don't worry, no real non-cloned human being is going to go to hell. =)
theblackmist

Postby mechana2015 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:43 pm

blackmist, may I suggest that you keep post to threads that are less than 5 months old please?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Return to Christian Growth Q&A