Deliverance and Exorcism.

The purpose of the forum is to allow people to post spiritual questions for which they would like answers from their fellow board members.

Deliverance and Exorcism.

Postby J_d.d » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:51 am

Very Curious to know the difference as i am planning to go for a deliverance session. Anyone experience this kind of stuff before?
J_d.d

Re: Deliverance and Exorcism.

Postby Xeno » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Boy, sure ain't nothing like a good old southern deliverance meeting.

Can last three to six hours long some times, people talking in gibberish that they call tongues, getting into heaving masses of people and praying that people, the city, the region, the state, the county, the world be delivered from sin, demons, political leanings that they don't agree with, or whatever else.

Boy oh boy, I sure don't miss deliverance meetings.
Xeno

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:54 pm

I thought deliverance involved inbred rednecks and dueling banjos and pigs.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Xeno » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:04 pm

Nate wrote:I thought deliverance involved inbred rednecks and dueling banjos and pigs.

You just said what I did, only more concise.
Xeno

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:40 pm

On a serious note, I personally believe Christians cannot be possessed by demons. We can experience oppression by demonic forces, but if Believers have the Holy Spirit living in us, then I don't see how it's possible to have demons fighting for control at the same time. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I also don't believe our duty as Believers is to seek demons out in the world and try to cast them out. Jesus empowered the twelve (and later 70) with that divine ability. Personally, I don't believe we are equipped for that. He told us to go out and share the Good News.
K. Ayato

Postby J_d.d » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:55 pm

K.Ayato: Just to ask further out of curiosity, is your church more towards the fundamentalist kind of eh bible-Presbyterian? Sorry to ask cause the one i attend for the past few years hold the similar belief as you mention.
J_d.d

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:05 pm

K. Ayato wrote:On a serious note, I personally believe Christians cannot be possessed by demons. We can experience oppression by demonic forces, but if Believers have the Holy Spirit living in us, then I don't see how it's possible to have demons fighting for control at the same time. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I also don't believe our duty as Believers is to seek demons out in the world and try to cast them out. Jesus empowered the twelve (and later 70) with that divine ability. Personally, I don't believe we are equipped for that. He told us to go out and share the Good News.

Exactly what K-chan said. I also see no way that a born-again Christian can possibly have a demon possessing them. And we're not demon fighters. A Christian's duty is to share the gospel and be a testimony. I can't find Bible that tells the average Christian to "Go forth and cast out demons". It was an ability and a task given to a few who Christ entrusted that ability to. When I think of random people professing to have effectively cast out demons, I'm reminded of Matthew 7:21-23. Christ is talking about doing His Father's will, and that obviously isn't part of it.
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Return to Christian Growth Q&A