Is it possible to sin to the point that you lose salvation?

The purpose of the forum is to allow people to post spiritual questions for which they would like answers from their fellow board members.

Is it possible to sin to the point that you lose salvation?

Postby Never thirsty! » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:15 pm

I mean aside from unforgivable sins. I hope not I might have reached that point considering how if you told me to think happy thoughts they would be clips taken from 1000 ways to die but with my worst enemies in them. Extremely worldly and maybe even evil. I am currently seeing a professional to clense myself of these “happy thoughts” I might know the answer but I need others' thoughts to be sure I'm thinking no but I am unsure.
Never thirsty!

Re: Is it possible to sin to the point that you lose salvation?

Postby phantomeofanime » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:32 pm

Well, I think that there is a point to lose salvation if you stop believing in God, but if you sin, then sincerely ask God to forgive, God will forgive. And Christ paid the penalty for us all, so if we stay believing in him, and ask him to forgive us, we have nothing to worry about.
PhantomEofAnime
"There's no such thing as a painless lesson...they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary...you can't gain anything without losing something first. Although...if you can endure that pain, and walk away from it...you will find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle.....yeah...a heart made fullmetal." -- Fullmetal alchemist Brotherhood.

"Never Judge a peron by their past, you should always love them in the present and help them in the future." -- Me

"It was good for me to be afflicted, so that I might learn your decrees." -- Psalm 119:71
phantomeofanime

Postby Xeno » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:06 pm

Never thirsty! wrote:I mean aside from unforgivable sins. I hope not I might have reached that point considering how if you told me to think happy thoughts they would be clips taken from 1000 ways to die but with my worst enemies in them. Extremely worldly and maybe even evil. I am currently seeing a professional to clense myself of these “happy thoughts” I might know the answer but I need others' thoughts to be sure I'm thinking no but I am unsure.

But probably not considering everything the Bible says.
Xeno

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:34 pm

No, no, no. Obviously there are different views on this subject, but if you're planning on following the Bible, then no, you cannot "lose" your salvation at all.
The "unforgivable sin" is rejecting the Holy Spirit. Therefore, the only way you can commit the unforgivable sin is to not be saved in the first place. It's only unforgivable because it is the act of refusing to ask for forgiveness. I hope this makes sense, because it's the only way I can think of to explain it.
There are several Biblical passages that indicate that one cannot lose his salvation.
John 10:27-29 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
[28] And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
[29] My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
Romans 8:38-39 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
[39] Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Not to mention all the verses that contain the phrase "eternal life". It is impossible to keep from sinning even after we are saved. So why would God promise eternal life, if He was going to condemn anyone who sinned enough to lose their salvation, which is inevitably quite a few people? Christ died for ALL of our sins, long before any of them were committed. So why is it a stretch to assume that when you ask forgiveness for your sins, He forgives ALL of them?

Now, by no means does this mean "Go out and party, enjoy life, because Christ covered all of your sins and you don't have to worry about any of it". But you do need to get past the apprehension that you could be losing your salvation at any moment, because it's very detrimental to your walk with God. If you've accepted Christ as your Saviour and asked Him to pardon your sins, your saved, move on with your life, and don't look back on your old life. If you're having trouble, it doesn't mean you've lost your salvation. It just means you need to get your life straight and get closer to God. He'll be a much bigger help cleansing you from this kind of thing than any "professional". If you're going to trust Him a little bit, why not go the whole nine yards and trust Him to the fullest? It'll make your life alot easier. :)
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Return to Christian Growth Q&A