do people who attempt/commit suicide automatically go to Hell Christian or not?

The purpose of the forum is to allow people to post spiritual questions for which they would like answers from their fellow board members.

do people who attempt/commit suicide automatically go to Hell Christian or not?

Postby Never thirsty! » Tue May 07, 2013 4:34 pm

My friend's dad committed suicide and he was Christian but do you know if I'll see him in eternity? He was a very nice man and the last person anyone would expect to commit suicide and I'm extremely upset and I might feel better with reassurance that I'll see him again
Never thirsty!

Re: do people who attempt/commit suicide automatically go to Hell Christian or not?

Postby Xeno » Tue May 07, 2013 6:37 pm

Because of all the possible answers that could be given here, this is taken directly from the wiki page "Religious Views on Suicide"

Christianity
Main article: Christian views on suicide

This section needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (November 2012)
According to the theology of the Roman Catholic Church, the Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church, Number 2283 states, "We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives." However, the catechism points out that, "Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide." The Catholic Church used to state that suicide was a sin, and that persons committing suicide could not have a Catholic service and burial. However, the Church has since changed this point of view.[6]

Conservative Protestants (Evangelicals, Charismatics, Pentecostals, and other denominations) have often argued that because suicide involves self-murder, then anyone who commits it is sinning and is the same as if the person murdered another human being. An additional view concerns the act of asking for salvation and accepting Jesus Christ as personal savior, which must be done prior to death. This is an important aspect of many Protestant denominations, and the problem with suicide is that once dead the individual is unable to accept salvation. The unpardonable sin then becomes not the suicide itself, but rather the refusal of the gift of salvation.

Most Fundamental Denominationalists (traditional Baptists) view suicide as any other sin. John Piper speaking at a funeral at Bethel Baptist Church in 1981 said, "No single sin, not even suicide, evicts a person from heaven into hell. One thing does: continual rejection of God's Spirit. Our friend, we believe, gave up that resistance and accepted the forgiveness of Christ. What sort of momentary weakness, what brief cloud of hopelessness caused her to take her life remains a mystery."

The view of scripture on the topic is such that, once a person comes to faith in Jesus Christ, every sin they will ever commit is paid for if they continue to "walk in the light"(1 John 1:7), and "there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" if they continue to walk according to the spirit (Romans 8:1). These Christians believe suicide to be a sin, but do not believe it is impossible to find salvation. (Romans 4:8). Judas, who committed suicide in despair, is generally believed to have been damned, for his suicide and/or for his actions which caused the death of another. Other interpretations, however, suggests Judas may have committed suicide as an act of repentance, along with returning the "blood money" (Matthew 27:3-5). Other Biblical examples of suicide (Saul and his armor-bearer in 1 Samuel 31:4-5, Samson in Judges 16:16:28-30, Ahitophel in 2 Samuel 17:23, and Zimri in 1 Kings 16:18) describe people who are considered failures in their life. The narratives, however, do not explicitly condemn them for the act of suicide.

Eastern Orthodoxy, on the other hand, has never made any absolute statement about people who commit suicide. There have been those in the history of the Church that have killed themselves rather than be tortured and demoralized by invaders (see Dance of Zalongo). They also feel that perpetrators of suicide are most likely “not in their right minds” and that God will have mercy on them. In any case the Orthodox Christians leave the fate of suicide victims up to God and avoid making judgements.[citation needed]

In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, suicide is viewed as wrong, although the victim may not be considered responsible for the act depending on the circumstances.[7]

Some other denominations of Christianity may not condemn those who commit suicide per se as committing a sin, even if suicide isn't viewed favorably; factors such as motive, character, etc. are believed to be taken into account. One such example is the The New Church.[8]

In early Christian traditions, attitudes to suicide were notably different from today. In the fourth century, after several Christian women had committed suicide to avoid rape, Bishop Augustine declared that they had done "what was right in the sight of God".[9] During the years of Jewish persecution of Christians, many Christians chose to become a martyr by committing suicide. This became so common that the Jewish rulers decided to ban public mourning for all those who died by suicide, and prevent Christian suicide victims from being buried on hallowed ground, in an attempt to stigmatise and discourage the practice.[10]

In more modern times, Henry Pitney Van Dusen, the former president of New York's Union Theological Seminary and a presbyterian minister, signed a pact before committing suicide with his wife, Elizabeth. Both elderly, the Van Dusens believed that their increasing frailties prevented them from living the life they wanted to live, and believed that nursing homes were "virtual tombs" which artificially kept people alive who God may otherwise have allowed to die.[9]
Xeno

Re: do people who attempt/commit suicide automatically go to Hell Christian or not?

Postby Nate » Tue May 07, 2013 7:48 pm

I can't see how suicide is different than any other sin. I've heard "because you're saying that you know better than God" but that's true of all sins, stealing something from someone is saying you know better than God too, since God said not to steal.

The only way suicide could be a one-way ticket to Hell is if you believe in works-based salvation. Suicide would be "so bad" that it would get rid of any good that you had done, in other words. Christianity usually believes in salvation by faith however, which would mean suicide can't erase your salvation if you're saved. Now, there's some denominations that do believe in works-based salvation of course, so that wouldn't apply to those denominations.

The only other response is usually one of "You can't ask for forgiveness after you're dead, so you'd have died with sin on your heart." My response to this is imagine that I'm walking down the street and I see a hot woman, and I start lusting after her, and while I'm mentally undressing her I walk into the street and get hit by a car. Now, if I'm a Christian, do I go to Hell? After all, the situation is similar, I have died before I could ask for forgiveness for my lust. Some people I've asked have said that yes, I would, and well, I guess they are at least consistent. But most Christians will say that no, you wouldn't go to Hell if you're a Christian, even though you didn't have a chance to ask for forgiveness. And if so, then suicide is really no different.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Lynna » Tue May 07, 2013 10:16 pm

I believe that God died for all our sins, including the ones after we became a Christian. Therefore, if suicide is a sin, Jesus died for that one as well.
Lynna

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed May 08, 2013 11:04 am

No. I don't think hell exists.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Never thirsty! » Sun May 12, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks to all who responded he was like a father to me because my parents divorced when I was five so I've pretty much grown up with him cause I didn't have my father and he made a great replacement
Never thirsty!

Return to Christian Growth Q&A