Eastern Orthodox

The purpose of the forum is to allow people to post spiritual questions for which they would like answers from their fellow board members.

Eastern Orthodox

Postby SilverToast » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:49 pm

Are there any CAA members who follow Eastern Orthodox Church or have attended services in an Eastern Orthodox church?
I have a few questions about the church.

Which church do you attend?

What are some differences between churches in the Eastern Orthodox Church family?

How would you describe a service? I know there is chanting and prayer and incense but I'm not sure what specific prayers or songs are chanted.

Can someone explain autocephaly, autonomy, and what it means for a church to be in communion. I get confused trying to understand it.
SilverToast

Re: Eastern Orthodox

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:08 pm

I'm not an Eastern Orthodox by any means, but their concept on theosis is incredibly important to me. Perhaps even the primary importance of my own spirituality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theosis_(E ... x_theology)
Mr. SmartyPants

Re: Eastern Orthodox

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:24 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I'm not an Eastern Orthodox by any means, but their concept on theosis is incredibly important to me. Perhaps even the primary importance of my own spirituality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theosis_(E ... x_theology)

It's the same for me, actually. While I attend a protestant denomination which I'm pretty loyal too (United Church of Christ), I remember reading about theosis for the very first time and being like; "This sounds much closer than anything else to what I actually believe!"
Azier the Swordsman

Return to Christian Growth Q&A