what do you imagine Jesus looking like when He was on earth

The purpose of the forum is to allow people to post spiritual questions for which they would like answers from their fellow board members.

what do you imagine Jesus looking like when He was on earth

Postby Never thirsty! » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:22 pm

When I see him I see a middle-eastern possibly Arabic because he lived in the middle east (is it arabic or arabian? Notice I used parenthesis and not //.) anyway not as built as brock lesnar but quite muscular seeing as how he was a carpenter and had two modes of transportation on foot or donkey(can you imagine how fit we'd be if cars were nonexistent?) not sure about all of the facial features but at least full facial hair and long head hair(nothing to do with this but I don't want to waste a thread since Jesus was God did He know how many hairs were on His head?) Probably wore rags or at least clothes that didn't give away that He's the King because he became th least for us and would the least really have a fancy tunic with purple robes.
Never thirsty!

Re: what do you imagine Jesus looking like when He was on earth

Postby Crossfire » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:33 pm

I pictured him as an average dude for that time period with a cool looking beard.
Crossfire

Postby Xeno » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:38 pm

Never thirsty! wrote:(is it arabic or arabian? Notice I used parenthesis and not //.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wZZVhsrLRU
Xeno

Postby DaughterOfZion » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:45 pm

Never thirsty! wrote:When I see him I see a middle-eastern possibly Arabic because he lived in the middle east (is it arabic or arabian? Notice I used parenthesis and not //.)

Uh, he was Jewish. :shady: Definitely not Arabic.

Also, NEVER call an Israeli an Arab to his face or vice versa, there is a lot of animosity between the two.
DaughterOfZion

Postby Mullet Death » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:53 pm

I'm sure he looked vaguely like any other Semitic man of his place and time. Despite being a carpenter I doubt he was all that muscular though. Jesus fasted an incredible amount and always shared everything he had after all so he probably didn't have the diet for th at. But it's all unimportant really since Jesus can appear to men however he wants, so I just imagine Jesus as he is traditionally portrayed in my culture and the cultures of my ancestors. In other words, when I imagine Jesus I imagine the holy figure of sacred images like the Divine Mercy. Obviously that's the important part- who he is rather than what he looks like.
Last edited by Mullet Death on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby K. Ayato » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:59 pm

Even if we did have a good description of what He looked like, there was nothing about His appearance that would stand out and scream "Hey look, it's Messiah!" (see Isaiah 53 for reference). As Mullet Death said, He pretty much looked like every other Jewish man in that time.
K. Ayato

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:02 pm

DaughterOfZion wrote:
Never thirsty! wrote:When I see him I see a middle-eastern possibly Arabic because he lived in the middle east (is it arabic or arabian? Notice I used parenthesis and not //.)

Also, NEVER call an Israeli an Arab to his face or vice versa, there is a lot of animosity between the two.

Wait what? No. "Jewish" is an ethnic/religious group that originated from people who spoke Hebrew from the Middle East. "Arabic" refers to people descendant from the Middle East. So Jesus was a Jew and thus also Arabic.

Now when you say there is animosity between "Arab" and Israeli, do you mean Palestinian or something?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mullet Death » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:24 pm

I just realized I didn't answer the question of Jesus knowing the number of hairs on his head and such. That would definitely require its own thread because answering a question like that requires tackling serious theology about Christ's full divinity and full humanity. The short version is that Jesus was fully human and as such had a human intellect and so had to learn things. It's therefore pretty unlikely that Jesus knew trivial empirical details like the number of hairs on his head or the number of unique species of porpoise for example. But, it's a very confusing and mysterious subject and I hesitate to try and explain it lest I make the mistakes of ancient heretical groups.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Never thirsty! » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:34 am

Ok so arabs and Israelis aren't the same thing got it but I said impossibly I probably made that mistake because he spoke in arabic
Never thirsty!

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:38 am

Aramaic
K. Ayato

Postby Crossfire » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:23 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:
DaughterOfZion wrote:

Wait what? No. "Jewish" is an ethnic/religious group that originated from people who spoke Hebrew from the Middle East. "Arabic" refers to people descendant from the Middle East. So Jesus was a Jew and thus also Arabic.

Now when you say there is animosity between "Arab" and Israeli, do you mean Palestinian or something?

I assume DoZ was speaking of Israel as a whole and her neighbors, as there is no such thing as an "Israeli ethnicity" these days. Heck, the term Israeli-Arab exists for a reason.
Crossfire

Postby DaughterOfZion » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:56 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Wait what? No. "Jewish" is an ethnic/religious group that originated from people who spoke Hebrew from the Middle East. "Arabic" refers to people descendant from the Middle East. So Jesus was a Jew and thus also Arabic.

As I understand it the terms "Jew" or "Jewish" can be applied to members of the ancient Kingdom of Judah, which Jesus would have been a member of. That's what I was trying to refer when I said "Jewish", apologies for being too vague.
Crossfire wrote:
Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Now when you say there is animosity between "Arab" and Israeli, do you mean Palestinian or something?

I assume DoZ was speaking of Israel as a whole and her neighbors, as there is no such thing as an "Israeli ethnicity" these days. Heck, the term Israeli-Arab exists for a reason.

Crossfire's right, I meant the country of Israel, not an "Israeli ethnicity" . I was thinking more in terms of geography when I made my response. I meant the country of Israel and the League of Arab States or "the Arab World" which have had a history of conflict.

Never thirsty! wrote:When I see him I see a middle-eastern possibly Arabic because he lived in the middle east

Never thirsty! wrote:Ok so arabs and Israelis aren't the same thing got it but I said impossibly I probably made that mistake because he spoke in arabic

If you meant impossibly you mistyped your OP.
DaughterOfZion

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:47 pm

This. This is what Jesus looked like:

Suspiciously similar to Billy Ray Cyrus.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Xeno » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Serious post, if Jesus actually existed, I figure he probably looked like Jeff Bridges' character The Dude from "The Big Lebowski"
Xeno

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:35 pm

Xeno wrote:Serious post, if Jesus actually existed, I figure he probably looked like Jeff Bridges' character The Dude from "The Big Lebowski"

Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ClaecElric4God » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:52 am

I'm gonna have to agree with H-sama here. I imagine Jesus looked like a fairly average person. Although I'm sure He had an incredibly cool beard. :eyeroll: One thing I'd like to specify as far as my personal opinion - Jesus did not have long hair. Maybe I'm entirely wrong there, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. That stereotype is a pet peeve of mine. Jesus was a Nazarene, not a Nazarite. There's no reason to believe He had long hair.
Okay, I'm done ranting. But yeah, I don't think His physical appearance stood out that much.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:19 pm

Popular Mechanics did an article about this a few years back, you can click the link and see what they came up with:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science ... cs/1282186

Which while probably not totally accurate, is certainly a lot closer than the long-haired white guy that most people think of.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:39 pm

I remember this article. I kind of wonder why Jesus looked so bewildered. I think it's because someone went back in time with a camera and caught him by surprise.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Return to Christian Growth Q&A