What Game Are You Playing Right Now?

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Re: What Game Are You Playing Right Now?

Postby Sundown » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:30 pm

I grew bored of strategic games and set aside Awakening for a while; only picked it back up a few days ago.

Perhaps I'm losing my touch, but despite Hard mode being described as 'for experienced series players' I'm finding it a lot more difficult than previous games. The latter levels were nearly unplayable and I barely scraped by the endgame - the only reason I made it is because Chrom Aether'ed twice during the finishing blows. Guess I'll go back to Shadow Dragon and hone my non-existent skills.
"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you will get neither." C.S. Lewis
Sundown

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Final Fantasy XV.

My favorite FF game since X. Gameplay is way better than 12 and 13 (especially 13, because I HATE the battle system in 13), and I like the real time KH style battle system better than ATB, though I think I like X's true turn based system better, and both sphere grid and materia were better leveling systems than the ascension grid, and the magic system in FFXV is the most out of place in the series, even comparing it to 8 and 1. I like that it's more open world (at least the first half) since I've been getting into those kind of games lately, and I love the characters (except Gladio post Altissia... Can't stand him after that.)The story is lacking because of the DLC nonsense, which I'm not happy about, but it's not as lacking and unfinished feeling as MGS5, and unlike MGS5 they actually DO plan on finishing the story (via the aforementioned DLC). I would have paid another 60 bucks to properly finish MGS5, but that won't happen now.

I also watched Brotherhood, which I loved. I really want to see more with these characters but I don't like how exploitative the current "season pass" style system is...

It'll take longer to place it properly in my FF ranking, but I know it's above 1, 12, and 13 for me for certain. The only games I really don't like are 1 and 13, so it's not like I hate 12, it's just I was really put off by the MMO style battle system. 13 is just SO TERRIBLE, though. And 1 is boring, and has almost not story to speak of. I'll be able to say in a year how it compares to X, which is the story based game I spent the most time on in my entire life (the only games I played more were Civ 2 and Sim Tower).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Kaori » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:57 pm

Confession time:

This is from a while back, actually, but back when I was still living in Okinawa I had started playing through Pokemon Crystal on emulator, and then had set aside for a few years, and a while ago (maybe the middle to end of last year?) I finally beat it (all of Johto and Kanto, but I didn't complete the Pokedex).

At the time, I didn't think I would have been able to get through it without a fast forward button.

But that said, it was really fun. It was similar enough to Red and Blue to satisfy that nostalgia, but it also, of course, had a lot more to it--more Pokemon, more gyms, more trainers, more features. I also noticed that it seems like it's possible to use a wider variety of Pokemon types from early on in the game; before even the second gym you can catch water types, a ghost type (Ghastly), psychic types, and rock types, whereas it seems like in the 1st gen. games it was all just normal, flying, and bug types in the wild for a while there.

In fact, I enjoyed this game so much that I actually started to play through it again . . . but I had a friend who wanted to play a video game together with me and we ended up playing Heart Gold and Soul Silver (I am playing Soul Silver, in Japanese).

Now, having experienced the DS version, I am pretty sure I never want to go back to the Game Boy version. The DS version just streamlines and gets rid of a lot things in the GB version that were just annoying, like getting rid of the limits to how many phone numbers you could record and how many items you could store in your pack and making PC box Pokemon strorage a lot easier to organize. For the GB version, I was thinking, "I couldn't make it through this game without a fast forward button," but the DS version does have a couple of things that are helpful in speeding things up, like the running shoes and the ability to turn off battle animations. So, grinding is still a chore, but not so much that I can't live without a fast forward button.

Some further thoughts:

I understand that with there now being a huge amount of different types of berries, it wouldn't be possible for a player to go around gathering them all from trees, but I can't get over my feeling that it is weird that berries don't grow on trees anymore and you have to buy them or exchange shards for them instead.

I also can't quite get over my disappointment that by the time it's possible to get a dragon type (Dratini) it's so late in the game that it's not very practical to level it up and use it in your team. Ice and dark types are also a bit difficult to get, though there are tons of Pokemon that can use ice and dark moves despite not being that type.

I'm really impressed by how deep you can go into this game if you want to. For example, when I was growing up playing Pokemon Red, I didn't bother with non-damaging moves whatsoever and just used leveling up and sheer brute force to win battles. Playing Pokemon as an adult, though, I find it really interesting how many different strategic things there are that you can do (for example, using Provoke to prevent that Miltank from going to sleep to recover its HP) and am enjoying trying to win battles using type strategies while my Pokemon are at a similar or sometimes slightly lower level than the gym leaders'. Besides that there are all the things you can do with Pokemon breeding, egg moves and so on, things that I mostly don't have time for but where you can do a lot of interesting things if you have the time and patience for it.

The games are really feature-rich, and even have a lot of new features that were not present in G/S/C. Some of these I am excited about, like having rematches with gym leaders. However, I find that I just cannot bring myself to care about completing certain sidequests like catching all of the unowns, or completing the Pokedex (way too much work).

Having someone to trade with is really awesome not only because of how much more rapidly you can increase your number of Pokedex entries but because of the ridiculously fast growth rate of Pokemon received in trades (150%!)

Having the first Pokemon in your party follow you around as a field sprite that you can talk to in order to see their reactions was also pretty fun, though more so when I first started playing (after that the novelty wore off).

The Pokewalker I can't comment on because I have a used copy of the game and the Pokewalker that came with my game isn't able to sync with the game for some reason.

Overall, this game is so fun that even though currently I have not finished going around and battling all the gym leaders in Kanto, I am already thinking about starting another playthrough, maybe a Nuzlocke or mono-type run.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby IPv4 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:38 am

playing PUBG and GTA5
IPv4

Postby Abassi » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:36 pm

Blazing Angels: Squadrons of World War 2 (PS3)

A great game for just flying around in. The gameplay experience can even be greatly improved by listening to speeches made during the appropriate historical era. It becomes quite immersive, odd though it may seem, when coupled with research into the events of the war as the game presents each major engagement.

...dang, I'm old. Advocating research and reading as an improvement to a video game.
Abassi

Postby IPv4 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:20 am

started playing and finished playing the walking dead season 3 this weekend, my Clementine became a "survival strategist". I made some "harsh" choices I guess in the game, but thats probably because Im heavily biased to do things in favor of Clementine.
IPv4

Postby Furen » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:56 pm

Still Persona 5. But the most recent one I finished was Costume Quest (I think)
cute, fun, short game.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Abassi » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:06 pm

An ongoing gaming endeavor; Minecraft with the TerraFirmaCraft mod. Never had any exposure to Minecraft until a year ago, it was really fun for the first little bit but got very boring. The mod, however, is agonizing more than boring, can't get past the bronze age. Still, the mod requires some level of thinking and that can be fun--in small doses.
Abassi

Postby duckmeat » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:54 am

Playing a ton of PUBG. And Hearthstone while I'm at it!
duckmeat

Postby Masaru » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:55 pm

Way, way too much Splatoon 2.

How is Hearthstone at the moment, duckmeat? I used to play but I admittedly got kind of burnt out trying to keep up with obtaining all the cards to stay competitive. :(
Masaru

Postby Kaori » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Pokemon SoulSilver: finished. Great game all around.

Pokemon Black: Played all the way through (including the post-game and rematch against the Elite Four and Champion).

Pokemon White: Liked the new Pokemon in this gen so much that there were a lot that I had wanted to use but didn't get a chance to, so playing through a second time. Have beaten the Elite Four (the first time) and am currently in the post-game, searching for the sages.

Overall thoughts on Black/White: It doesn't have quite the depth of HGSS (in terms of in-game things like growing and harvesting berries, needing to breed Pokemon in order to complete the Pokedex, the Pokeathlon, having a whole second region to explore, and so on), but the fact that there were no old Pokemon, only new Pokemon, until you beat the Elite Four the first time was really refreshing. I also liked that between battles with your two friends, Team Plasma's machinations, and the gym challenge, there was always something going on keeping the plot moving forward. The plot had more depth than other Pokemon games . . . but they didn't take the concepts very deep really; it is still a children's game. Also, the sound engineering was fantastic! Enjoyed these games and am looking forward to playing Black 2 or White 2, maybe after taking a bit of a break from Pokemon and in particular this gen.

Tenchi Souzou (Terranigma)
: currently playing. This is a really incredible SNES-era action-RPG. You play as a mischievous young man who opens up a Pandora's Box that turn all his villagers into ice, but then in the process of going on a quest to save the villagers he gets caught up in the recreation of the entire world. For example, at the beginning of the story, with each dungeon you complete, a continent (Eurasia, Africa, and so on) reappears on the face of the Earth. Then you revive plants, animals, and so on. I am just partway through the story and don't know where it is ultimately headed in the end, but the concept of the game is fascinating--and the gameplay is also great.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.

MAL
Kaori

Postby Kaori » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:16 pm

Finished playing Terranigma, so I will add a few more comments.

Overall, this game was one of the more philosophical and thought-provoking games I have played, and some of the ideas and emotions evoked by the game have really stuck with me for the last few days, since beating the game. I found the ending to be extremely moving. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (Mainly, extremely sad.)

I've been thinking to myself about what it was about the philosophy in the game that worked so well, since the actual ideas that are dealt with are not really all that deep (not compared to, say, reading a book about philosophy or religion or something). I think that a lot of it is just that there is a consistent philosophy that is there all the way from the intro you can watch before going to the start scene to the very end. Also, a lot of different plot elements that at first seem unrelated come together and are (mostly) connected in a way that overall is pretty coherent. (It's still a video game and there are still some things that don't make a whole lot of sense, for example, why does Ark's going through the Towers of Trials have anything to do with unfreezing the people of his village? And also the geography and history have sometimes only a *very* loose connection to the real world. So I'm not talking about the game's references to historical events, but the way the original plot elements come together in the end.)

Graphics and music are both great considering the system (SNES), the action-adventure gameplay was fun, though not extremely challenging, and the story made a real impact. For anyone even remotely interested in retro games, I would highly recommend it.

A review way better than mine (be aware that it does contain spoilers, especially in the second page):

https://tay.kinja.com/7-reasons-terrani ... 1644695511

MAL
Kaori

Postby shooraijin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:25 pm

Extremely important question: did you actually play it on a real SNES?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Kaori » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:34 am

This is a sad story.

I did actually buy a real Super Famicom cartridge (Japanese edition), and I dug out my real Super Famicom that I bought in Japan and got it hooked up to my transformer and everything . . . and I couldn't get it to send a signal to the TV. The same cable I was using had worked with my N64, so I don't think it is the cable, I think it is the Super Famicom itself that tragically died on me.

So I played on emulator.

But I have the real cartridge and had every intention of playing on my real Super Famicom; it just unfortunately was not working.

(To be honest, though, since I did play on emulator, I found save states to be extremely helpful, since in-game you can only save in towns.)

MAL
Kaori

Postby shooraijin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:59 am

That is indeed a terribly sad, almost heartwrenching story.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby shooraijin » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:01 pm

Picked up a New 3DS XL for cheap. My wife is now hooked on Pilotwings Resort. Mario didn't resonate with her, though (not much of a gamer in her childhood).

shooraijin

Postby IPv4 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:47 am

Don't have time for games, but will very likely pick up Kingdom Hearts 3 for Xbox One when I have more time.
IPv4

Postby Yak_Forger » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:54 am

Right now, I've surfaced after a couple playing Hearts of Iron IV at every occasion... That game should be forbidden to anyone who's studying, because it's not like that that my essays will be done :lol:
Yak_Forger

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:03 am

Not playing anything because college, but I've recently been really in the mood for Breath of the Wild, which is frustrating because I left my Switch with my sister because I haven't touched it in almost a year and she can get more use out of it than I do.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby IPv4 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:33 am

Kingdom Hearts 3 from time to time, also interested to play StarCraft 2
IPv4

Postby Furen » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:43 pm

Is it weird to say Minecraft?
I've been playing Smash Ultimate with friends.
I finally finished Tales of Berseria.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby CoreyTunts » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:01 am

Furen wrote:Is it weird to say Minecraft?

Minecraft is awesome. I've had a lot of fun playing on an anarchy server. Unfortunately the level of interest in that server has become enormous to the point of having to queue for hours to get in.

I mostly play overwatch at the moment. I'm pretty rubbish at it but my middle younger brother has established himself as a well known streamer.
CoreyTunts

Postby Furen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:14 am

CoreyTunts wrote:
Furen wrote:Is it weird to say Minecraft?

Minecraft is awesome. I've had a lot of fun playing on an anarchy server. Unfortunately the level of interest in that server has become enormous to the point of having to queue for hours to get in.

You shouldn't have any troubles from me. I'm such a chicken at playing Minecraft. I do terraforming and light up everything I can so I never have to deal with monsters/hostile mobs.
Furen

Postby Kaori » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:23 pm

Pokemon Emerald. Beat the Elite Four and Champion, but not Steven Stone (I had this image in my mind from the fandom that Steven is the Champion, so I was scandalized when in Emerald it wasn't him, LOL), and have not done anything with the Pokemon Contest or Battle Frontier.

I have to admit, at first it was kind of a pain going back to this gen after playing gens 4 and 5. You finally get running shoes, but you can't run indoors, on rope bridges between treehouses, or on log walkways (that is, a lot of places). The fishing mechanic is excessively troublesome and time-consuming. Riding a bicycle is unnecessarily complicated, and you have to keep switching between the two kinds. Secret bases, which a lot of people rave about, are pointless for me since I have no one to mix records with.

But I LOVE the Pokemon in this generation, the region is vaired and picturesque, there are a lot of interesting and challenging gym leaders, and the Elite Four and Champion were also a lot of fun to fight. And Pokemon battles are of course the meat and potatoes of Pokemon, so on the balance, it is a really great game.

Before Pokemon Emerald, I was playing some SaGa Frontier (Asellus) and was nearing the end of her scenario. I tried picking that up and finishing up her scenario, but I wasn't able to get past a mini-boss in her final dungeon and I think overall my party is pretty weak due to my flailing around without a real understanding of the game's growth system (which is very complex and not at all obvious). I felt like it was useless trying to get anywhere with that party and I needed to start over, so I started over with a new character (Blue), but I have not gotten far with that either. On the balance, despite my fondness for the earlier SaGa games, I am just really having trouble getting into this one for various reasons.

Now currently playing both Pokemon White 2 and Pokemon Platinum at the same time, probably not a great idea (I'm probably going to end up with a very confused memory of what happened in which game) but oh well.

Also Pokemon GO.

MAL
Kaori

Postby Furen » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:36 pm

Lots of Pokemon, I see. I still haven't really gotten that far in most of my pokemon games.

I've been (unreasonably slowly) trying to play my switch games. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 was at the top of my list, but I haven't sat down to give a good run of it in a while.
Furen

Postby Kaori » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:26 pm

Yeah, lots of Pokemon.

By the time I finish these, I might be ready for something different . . . if I don't end up playing around in post-games.

MAL
Kaori

Postby shooraijin » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:51 am

I've been getting back into the 3DS, but no particular game. I just love 3D and it looks like the fad is on its cyclic deathbed again.

shooraijin

Postby Furen » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:35 pm

I too started playing my 3DS again.
I gotta finish Fire Emblem Fates
Furen

Postby Kaori » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:16 pm

Pokemon Platinum: Well, I feel like I haven't *really* finished this game because I only beat the Champion one time, I haven't gotten through the whole post-game yet. (Though I did, finally, start to get into the Battle Frontier.)

Overall, I highly enjoyed the game. I feel like for me Gen 4 strikes a pretty much perfect balance between retro nostalgia and quality-of-life improvements. (All the quality-of-life things that were frustrating in gen 3 are fixed in this game, but it also doesn't have the same obnoxious degree of hand-holding that gen 5 does.) Although I didn't like the overall design aesthetic of the monsters in this gen as much either gen 3 or gen 5, there were a lot of neat concepts, so they grew on me. Also, the music was great, the villain team was one of the best in the series, Cynthia is a great champion (i.e. her battle was fun; her personality on the other hand seemed a bit vague), and I the whole part with Giratina and the distortion world was a particular highlight, as well as Giratina itself. (Ghost-dragon that represents antimatter? Yes please.) That scene with Giratina SPOILER: Highlight text to read: dragging Cyrus into the distortion world is maybe the least Pokemon-like moment of any Pokemon game I have played, and also my favorite (laughs). The distortion world, also, seems not very Pokemon-like; the atmosphere of it was really neat, and the platform-like aspects of its design reminded me that Game Freak used to make platformers before Pokemon took off and became a worldwide bestseller, and they still do in their spare time.

Kirby's Dream Land: Well, that was short. I think when I was a kid I didn't realize that any time you get the Game Over screen you have endless opportunities to pick back up on the stage where you left off and try again. Played through the regular mode (which is more like an easy mode) and got started on the bonus game, but I don't really love this game enough to put much effort into that, so I probably will not beat the bonus game.

Celeste: Only partway through right now (not quite through with the Celestial Resort stage). I also was sort of dissatisfied with myself for using assists in a few screens in each area, so I have another game I started to go through those without assists (just got to the Old Site in that playthrough). Not gonna lie, platformers are not a genre I've played very much and this game is hard.

Pokemon SoulSilver: I am still enjoying the post-game, having picked it back up after a while. Unlocked all the rooms in the Pokeathlon, got another star on my trainer card, and caught Latios.

MAL
Kaori

Postby Furen » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:48 am

I just finished Life is Strange a few days ago. With COVID happening, I've been trying to clear my backlog with mild success.
Furen

Previous Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews