Let's Play Pokemon Blue: Nuzlocke

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Let's Play Pokemon Blue: Nuzlocke

Postby Peanut » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:19 pm

Yep, we're barely 4 hours away from the conclusion of my last Let's Play and I'm starting another one. Though this one is going to be a little more involved as you will all find out. However, before I dive into this game and start taking snapshots, a little introduction is needed.

Pokemon Blue is one of my favorite games of all time mostly because of its place in my childhood. I've beaten it several times, completed my pokedex, and even did a master run of it where I only used event pokemon (which was easier then I thought). Because my master run was so easy, I've been wanting to do something called a Nuzlocke run which is much harder. Now though, I've finished my let's play of Oregon Trail II and want to do another Let's Play from a completely different series. So, here we are, I'm let's playing Pokemon Blue for you guys while doing a Nuzlocke run. What is a Nuzlocke run you ask? Well the rules are:

1. Catch the first Pokemon you encounter in each route/cave/whatever and nothing else. If you fail to catch it, too bad, continue onwards.
2. If you Pokemon faints, consider it dead and release it.

These are the basic rules, and yes, you can loose with these rules...however for fun and to add some more challenge, I'm adding two more of my own which will be determined mostly by you guys.

3. Nickname every Pokemon caught after a member on CAA (priority goes to those who ask to have their name used as a pokemon...one per member obviously).
4. Let the audience decide my lineup for every gym after I catch my 6th Pokemon.

Rule three's for fun, rule four is meant to torment me later on in the game by leaving the major strategic plan up to you guys. Along with these rules, I'll be adding some sort of vague story to this whole thing because that seems to make Nuzlocke runs all the cooler.

In short, if anyone wants me to nickname a Pokemon after them and thus become said Pokemon, post below and you'll get your wish. I'm taking a first come first served approach (meaning the first person who posts will be my starter, second person the next Pokemon I catch, etc...). If I catch every first Pokemon I run into, I'll have well over 30 Pokemon...so there's no worry about being left out unless I do relatively poorly in that aspect of this run. When I run out of volunteers, I'll start randomly choosing members and using them to name my pokemon.

You can expect the first update sometime later this week.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Winry » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:56 pm

Oooh I used to play this game. I want to be a pokemon! Gotta catch em all!
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby Nate » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:00 pm

Winry wrote:I want to be a pokemon!

Furry detected.

Preparing to kill it with fire.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby goldenspines » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:40 pm

Watch, you'll end up with five Pigeys, then you'll be sorry.
And sure, name a pokemon after me if you want. It probably won't help you much though. D:

Quick question, I wasn't aware you could "release" pokemon in Blue (or Red or any other pokemon game). How is that going to work out if your pokemon faints? Are you just going to store them in the PC for the rest of the game or is there something I'm missing? o.o;

This looks pretty fun, though (besides the leaving your overall gym leader battle fate in our hands).
Best of luck to you Peanut! ^_^
goldenspines

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:42 pm

Nate (post: 1399163) wrote:Furry detected.

lololololol

And I'll totally volunteer to go.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Winry » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:45 pm

I think Nate wants to be Pikachu.
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Winry

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:47 pm

If Peanut manages to get a Pikachu, well, I'll be surprised.

Also, Goldy, you can release Pokemon in Red+Blue. You do it from the PC.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Peanut » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:51 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1399183) wrote:If Peanut manages to get a Pikachu, well, I'll be surprised.

If I manage to catch any rare Pokemon, I'll be surprised.

And yeah, Hat'n'Clogs nailed it on the head. You release Pokemon via Bill's PC. I could just store them but that would be like storing cadavers in my downstairs freezer...it just wouldn't work...

Peanut

Postby Nate » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:53 pm

Winry wrote:I think Nate wants to be Pikachu.

WEH.

WWWWW

EH!

Nate

Postby Winry » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:55 pm

Nate (post: 1399187) wrote:WEH.

WWWWW

EH!

See how excited he is by the idea!

Winry

Postby Nate » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:00 pm

WEH.

(Now to see who gets this joke.)

Nate

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:44 pm

Make me a Pokemonz!

I should be Jigglypuff or something.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:12 pm

Pidgey's can be hard hitters if raised right. Go ahead and use my name, if you must. My fav is Meowth, but I couldn't find those in the wilds back in the day... >.< Ah yes, back when a lvl 2 pidgey had me at a 30 min standoff till I had to flip the switch. After beating all 8 gyms.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:16 pm

;____; Ryan Pants took my pokemon 8(

Ah well, Fish said he'd nickname JigglyPUff after me.. One day.. When he gets to it u_u

(I wanna be a pokeman) ^O^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:59 pm

Heheheheh. Do it.

I'll probably end up as a Rattata or Metapod.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:16 am

Nate (post: 1399189) wrote:WEH.

(Now to see who gets this joke.)

I understand. ._.;

Anyways, you could go ahead and use my name if you want.
Ante Bellum

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:31 am

http://www.vgcats.com/super/?strip_id=0

As a warning it gets a little sketchy near the later ones but it is still fairly tame throughout compared to vgcats.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Peanut » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:33 pm

All right, I can tell you people right now that I have started and, with my schedule, you should be expecting major updates each weekend with maybe a smaller one sometime each week.

Edit: Also, I think all of you will enjoy what Pokemon certain people are ending up as...its making me chuckle at least...

Peanut

Postby goldenspines » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:37 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1399183) wrote:If Peanut manages to get a Pikachu, well, I'll be surprised.

Oooh, okay. Man, it's been a while since I've played Blue or Red. XD;
I will be closely watching this thread. I'm very interested to see how the Nuzlocke run plays out. o.o

@Rushair: But, if you end up named after a Metapod, then you'll get to be the name of a Butterfree! (if it doesn't faint before that XD).
goldenspines

Postby Robin Firedrake » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:16 pm

Nate (post: 1399163) wrote:Furry detected.

This is why Nate ignores me... Anyhow, I wanna be named after one, whichever one that may be.
Robin Firedrake

Prologue

Postby Peanut » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:16 pm

Once upon a time...

In a town...

called Pallet Town...

There lived a boy.

A boy with many dreams and even more stylish baseball caps.

As he pulled a baseball cap from his drawer, he looked forward to what they day had in store. You see, today he would take his first step into the world, destined to emerge as a man. Destined to emerge with new friends. Destined to emerge from a great adventure that would make him...

...A LEGEND!!!!

You see, today was the day that he would begin a quest that would forever change his life. The day he would...

...begin to play his SNES?!

Edit: So, I have good news and bad news. The good news is I've obviously started this LP and will have more coming this evening, the bad news is its going to be more of these comics for a little while because I have seemed to have lost the first few screenshots...so yeah...poorly drawn comics are the way to go.

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:36 am

Oak:Hello, I am Professor Oak. You can tell because of my grey hair, snazzy labcoat, and massive pile of books that I am somehow carrying with one hand despite my old age.

Oak: I would like to welcome you to the magical world of Pokemon! What is a Pokemon? I think perhaps the better question is what isn't a Pokemon. I don't think I've seen any other type of wildlife in this world besides Pokemon.

Oak: Pokemon are used for many things in this world. Some people use them as models for their photographs. Others use them as test subjects for various hand cream products. I just like to study them and record useless things within these Pokedex. You, will just use them for legalized dog fights and laugh as they fight to the death. Back in my day, I remember when *Professor Oak goes off on a 15 minute tangent about how in his day they did kill Pokemon, they instead killed each other...with guns...but that's silly now isn't it*

Oak: Oh that reminds me...I have seem to forgotten your name? What was it again?

Peanut: Walking the path of heaven, the one who will rule them all! Peanut.

Oak: This is my grandson...um...oh curse my tendency to forget important information, what was his name again?

toonman: It's me gramps! Your favorite grandchild toonman!

Oak:...oh yeah...I suddenly know why I forgot that information. As you can see, my grandson is a jerk and has an incredibly offensive odor. *whispering to Peanut* This is why I only visit his sister.

Peanut: Makes sense...

Oak: Anyway, before you both run off into tall grass, let's get you some Pokemon. Peanut, you can choose first.

toonman: But gramps, I'm family!

Oak: Yes...I know...*under his breath* I told them to put him in an orphanage...grumble grumble...

*Peanut picks his first pokemon*
Meet Winry, the Charmander.

Winry: The voices in my head tell me to burn things.

toonman: If your going to pick a Charmander, then I'll grab a Squirtle, since they can absolutely own any Squirtle.

Peanut: Great, now I can get going and start...

toonman: Not so fast Peanut! I'm going to prove myself to my grandfather, by having my Pokemon beat the snot out of yours!!!

Peanut:...Buddy, I think I'm a little out of your league...

toonman: Go Squirtle! Attack him before he can walk through the door!

Squirtle: SQUIRTLEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! *Squirtle charges at Peanut who moves to the side letting him crash into a random scientist, crippling him for life*

Peanut:...um...I think we should take this outside...

Oak: No, no, don't worry about him, it's not like my buisness has health care or anything of the likes. Please, continue battling in this place of science and expensive equipment that costs more then your combined college tuitions.

Peanut:...all right...

The battle was epic! One that would be told for the ages! Winry would scratch! Then Squirtle would tackle! Then Winry would scratch again! Then Squirtle would get up and tackle again! Yeah, ok, it was the lamest battle ever...however it did prove Peanut was right, he was way out of toonman's league.

Peanut: See you around toonman!

Winry: That was fun.

Peanut: By the way...you don't know any fire moves yet, so how did you light them on fire?

Winry: Oh, I know where Professor Oak keeps the gasoline and his lighter.

toonman: IT BURNS!!!!!!

Professor Oak: *to Peanut mostly* Don't forget a Pokedex!!! *Peanut suddenly has a Pokedex...thus making him do Professor Oak's job for him*

Peanut:...thanks I guess?

Peanut

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:42 am

Peanut (post: 1400120) wrote:Oak: This is my grandson...um...oh curse my tendency to forget important information, what was his name again?

toonman: It's me gramps! Your favorite grandchild toonman!
I laughed, I lost.
Fish and Chips

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:35 am

Lol.. I'm not sure what else to say except,"Lol" XD
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby goldenspines » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:45 pm

In all honesty, I think your drawn comic pages are somewhat better than some of the graphics in the actual game. XD
Winry the Charmander is adorable.
The commentary is quite amusing so far. I laughed, then I read it again and laughed some more. XD
goldenspines

Postby Peanut » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:58 pm

Peanut and Winry come upon a closed, vacant Gym with a sign on its door.

Peanut: Hmm...the sign on this gyms reads "Future home of Team Rocket..."Huh, must be a Pokemon battling team whose decided to own their own gym.

Winry: Can we save them the trouble now and burn it?

Peanut: No...my handy, dandy badge book says this is the final gym. We'll hit it after the other seven.

Winry:...ahhh...

Peanut: Don't worry, the next town over has a gym that is ripe and ready for you to burn.

Winry:...THEN WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR!!! *Winry bursts into a full sprint only to end back up in her Pokeball*

Peanut:...in due time Winry...in due time...first, we must get more friends...

Friend number 1: Nate, the Ratatta!

Nate: Derp.

Peanut: Funny Nate.

Winry: I...I think that's all he says Peanut...

Peanut: No way, he isn't one of toonman's less then intelligent Pokemon.

Nate: Weh.

Peanut: Well that's something...

Peanut:...I'm beginning to regret catching you...

Friend number 2: goldenspines, the Metapod.

goldenspines: One day I'll be a beautiful Butterfree.

Peanut: That's a day I can't wait for...

goldenspines: Thanks Peanut, I'm glad you see...

Peaunt: Because then you'll actually be able to win your own battles instead of making Nate and Winry do all the work.

Nate:...tired...derp...

Winry: I'm glad that I've learned Ember...but at this rate...I'll never want to burn another thing again...

Peanut: Don't worry goldy, after a quick 80s training montage set to "Eye of the Tiger," you'll be useful in no time!

goldenspines:...ok...

One, undrawn, 80s montage later, goldenspines has evolved into a Butterfree!

goldenspines: Yay, I'm useful now!

Peanut: Yay, you know stuff other then Harden! I wonder what else you'll learn in the next few levels...

goldenspines: Oh, sleeppowder, poisonpowder, stunpowder.

Peanut:...so...basically three status effect attacks that, as a man of brute force, I don't bother to use...

goldenspines: Yep.

Peanut: Looks like you'll be spamming Confusion for awhile...

Winry: Huh, I feel funny.

Peanut: Funny how?

Winry: Like...weird funny...its tough to explain...

Winry:...not like that Nate...kind of like...

Winry evolved into Charmeleon.

Winry: Oh, I was evolving...that makes sense...

Peanut: Hooray for evolution!

*Winry, Peanut, and goldenspines do a group high five, leaving Nate out of the "We've evolved party"*

Nate:...*sniff* weh?

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:12 am

Peanut vs. Brock

Brock: So you're one of those trainers who brings a Fire Pokemon to a Rock Pokemon fight. This will be over quick...and you won't enjoy it.

Peanut: You don't know my Fire Pokemon so well...Get em Winry!

Winry: Do you want his Pokemon burnt to ashes and put in a vase, or should I just leave their charred corpses for burial underground?

Winry vs. Geodude

Winry: Burn!! BURN!!!

Geodude:...

Brock: Lucky shot...But it won't work against Onix!

Winry vs. Onix

Winry: I never knew rock burned so well...

Peanut: nice touch with the multiple fires...its fitting...

Brock:...unbelievable...beaten twice...in one day...

Peanut: Twice? Who else could have...

Brock: Some dude named toonman...smelled really funky...that might of had something to do with my defeat.

Peanut:...your joking...right...toonman beat you? Oh gosh...NO WONDER YOUR THE WEAKEST GYM LEADER!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Brock:...its not that funny...

*one boulder badge receiving ceremony later*

Peanut: You didn't have to burn down the entire gym Winry...

Winry: It was a mercy thing...any gym that gets defeated by toonman must be razed to save its honor.

A little way's later, Nate discovered a strange belt with mystical properties

Upon putting it on and using one of the accompanying cards, Nate became...

Kamen Rider Raticate!!!!

Peanut: Sweet, now Nate's joined the evolution party! Perhaps he can say something else besides "Derp" and "Weh"

Nate: Meh.

Peanut:...one day...one day he will have a fully functioning vocabulary...

goldenspines: We can only hope...

Peanut

Postby firestorm » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:33 am

I wish to be a pokemon please XD this is to funny and I've never been in a let's play XD
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:29 am

lol toonman.

lol derp.

You should name a Pokemon Jon Clements.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Peanut » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:04 am

LadyRushia (post: 1400327) wrote:You should name a Pokemon Jon Clements.

It would be a wasted spot...because I wouldn't be able to live with myself unless I made it faint the very next battle.

Peanut

Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews