Magic the gathering ?

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm

Yeah, my husband and his friends are really into cards that let them put counters on things and proliferate and a bunch of other stuff I don't really understand yet...
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:23 am

Well, I finally won a game against my husband last night. He was using the white Elspeth deck (with an extra Elspeth in it) and I was using the blue Jace Beleren deck (sans Jace because that's kind of a rare card). I got lucky and drew Frost Titan in my opening hand, and also the Kraken's Eye helped me out a lot (lets you gain 1 life when a blue spell is cast). I also drew an unblockable 2/2 creature (can't remember the name), so I was able to chip away at his life that way. Then I was eventually able to get Conundrum Sphinx AND Denizen of the Deep out. After that it was pretty much over.

Then we played a second game in which he used a different blue/black deck with things like Trigon of Corruption and Contagion Clasp. I went down in like four turns because he got lucky and drew them both early on. :|
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:17 am

Nice, I want a frost titan but for all my pulls i've only gotten a grave titan.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Edward » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:41 pm

I hope they make more cards with infect, which would go great with the green/black deathtouch deck I made. I really do enjoy playing, but I know about one other person who beats me all the time with his elf deck. There used to be a Magic club at school, but scince the teacher who sponsered it go riffed, I don't really have anyone to play against.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:44 pm

If you want Infect cards, maybe try looking for the Phyrexia vs Coalition duel deck set. Last time I checked, there are a lot of Infect cards in the Phyrexia deck.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Edward » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:58 pm

Speaking of my deathtouch deck, I was wondering if anyone could help me improve it. Here's the decklist
Addendum: the general strategy for this deck is to eliminate the opponent's creatures with deathtouch, then swing in with a huge Scavenger Drake/Vulturous Zombie, or a bunch of guys with infect.

Land

10 Swamp
10 Forest
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Creatures

4 Tangle Asp
4 Deadly Recluse
4 Turntimber Basilisk
4 Royal Assassin
3 Scavenger Drake
1 Vulturous Zombie
1 Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
4 Thornweald Archer

Other Spells

4 Bone Splinters
4 Hunt Down
4 Vigor Mortis

Planeswalker

2 Liliana Vess

Because this is just a casual deck, don't reccomend any expensive cards please.
Edward

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:23 pm

I was gonna recommend Grave titan then i saw the bottom part XD he's a 19.00 card and he'd go so well with that deck haha

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Hiryu » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:52 pm

I have a deck that has the same concept. I just use green though. Lure and regeneration is your best friend.

Lure causes all available creature to block the enchanted creature when you attack.

Gaze of the Gorgon is a good card if you can find it. It's basically Regen with deathtouch.

The Vulturous zombie and Ink eye sounds like good cards to have in that deck. I would suggest Sun Titan, but you don't run White. Some burn spells would help you if you decided to add another color.

I'm guessing you have urborg in there so your forest can tap for black mana?

I think you could have bigger creatures in there. The wurms (Duskdale, Yavimaya, etc.)could help in that department.

And yea,a well-made Elf deck can be pretty mean. Most don't have much defense, so a pyroclasm or two will put out most of them.
Hiryu

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:03 pm

Last night, four of us played a game together and using my blue counter/control/whatever you want to call it deck, I won in the end. My husband played Mortivore, and I used Mind Control to take it over. Since he had made us all discard a bunch of cards, it was like a 20/20. I also was able to get out Stormtide Leviathan and eventually I was able to just smash everybody XD Bwahahahahahaha!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:37 pm

I just downloaded MTG: Duels of the Plainswalkers from the Playstation Store. Currently getting trounced by Chandra Nalaar, but it's all good. :)

Edit: Beat her. Pulverized her, in fact. It's now half past midnight and I have to go to work in the morning, but it was totally worth it.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:59 pm

So i have a thing about pulling plains walkers, my last few packs have contained, Venser (my third) Elsbeth (my second) Garruk (Second) and Jace (first)...may I add i really love Jaces' design

GrubbTheFragger

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:07 pm

Dude, you are far luckier than we are. My husband really wants a Venser but we're probably just going to have to order one on eBay or something. We've spent way too much money on boosters lately, haha.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:01 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1446092) wrote:Dude, you are far luckier than we are. My husband really wants a Venser but we're probably just going to have to order one on eBay or something. We've spent way too much money on boosters lately, haha.

Yeah venser, Sleep and Sunblast angel are a mean combo. Other than that I really don't use him much

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Hiryu » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:49 pm

True, but Day of Judgement is far cheaper. It's a nice combo though, unless you manage to throw the Sunblast out there.
Hiryu

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:20 pm

Hiryu (post: 1446445) wrote:True, but Day of Judgement is far cheaper. It's a nice combo though, unless you manage to throw the Sunblast out there.

DOJ is cheaper I have 2 and I have like 8 sleeps and 2 vensers and 2 Sunblasts XD

GrubbTheFragger

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:57 pm

So played my first tournment friday........got destroyed..........but i still had a had a blast. I reminded me why i love magic all the crazy combos i was seeing

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Hiryu » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:51 pm

What kind of tournament was it? Standard? Was it a locally-run torunament?
Hiryu

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:03 pm

It was a Standard Tourny Eldrazi, Zendikar,Worldwake,M11, and Scars. And it was Friday Night Magic at a local game shop

GrubbTheFragger

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:57 pm

So bump! New set out anyone gotten any besieged cards? I drafted went 2-2 with a black white infect deck. then bought a fat pack and out of 9 packs pulled 2 Blightsteel Colossus's and a Hero of Blades Edge and another mythic sphinx.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Hiryu » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:43 pm

I went to the Prerelease and pulled Glissa and the Blue Flying creature that lets you draw two cards each time an opponent draws. I also went to the release.
Hiryu

Postby Hiryu » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:09 pm

Hey everyone, I was wondering if maybe someone could help me with my deck. I want to cut it down to about 65 cards, 60 would be great, but I'm having a hard time doing so. It's a standard green deck. Here's the deck list:

Spells:
2x Asceticism
2x Autumn's Veil
3x Cultivate
1x Eldrazi Monument
3x Fog
2x Gravity Well
2x Harrow
3x Negate
2x Plummet
3x Turn Aside
2x Vines of Vastwood
3x Blunt the Assault

Creatures:
2x Bellowing Tanglewurm
1x Duskdale Wurm (Can be replaced with another Bellowing Tanglewurm.)
3x Engulfing Slagwurm
3x Joraga Treespeaker
2x Kazandu Tuskcaller
1x Omnath, Locus of Mana
2x Pelakka Wurm
2x Sylvan Ranger (Used to fetch Islands)
2x Wall of Tanglecord
1x Wurmcoil Engine
1x Oracle of Mul Daya

Mana:
21x Forest
2x Island

Total: 71 cards

The focus of this deck is to provide protection to the creatures so they can get out and own face. Of course, I want to be able to do this as quickly as possible.

I just got the Oracle earlier today, and I like the card. The only problem is that you reveal the top card of your library. I think it could help incase I don't happen to shuffle good and my mana gets all bunched up in a spot. The way I'm reading it is that you can play the revealed card if it's a land, and you can do this until you reach a nonland card.

One of the things I feel could help this deck is increasing the amount of blockers. I think it would help buy me more time to get things set up. I think more mana ramp would help too.

Thanks for the input.
Hiryu

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:22 pm

Theres a Wall the name slips me but from the eldrazi block it taps for 1 green for each defender you have so throw some in and more mana!

GrubbTheFragger

Previous

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews