Final Fantasy VII Let's Play! =D

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Final Fantasy VII Let's Play! =D

Postby Mister Frodo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:47 am

I've been wanting to do a Let's Play for a long time, so I was debating what game to do one of. In the end, I felt it would be best if instead of doing a game that's really popular and tons of people have played, I'd do one of a game that's obscure and not very well known. You know, a game like Final Fantasy VII. :p

Here's Part 1

This is my first time Let's Playing a game, and I'm not much of a comedic genius or a great speaker, so I don't know how well this'll turn out. Still, it would be awesome if you watched it, even if it's just a little bit, and any comments/criticism you have would definitely be appreciated. Thanks, and God bless!
Mister Frodo

Postby Midori » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:20 am

I might watch this. I also was unable to continue past 7 or 8 hours for unknown reasons.

Q: Why are you using Ice against the robots instead of Bolt? Aren't robots usually weak to Bolt?

...Also I think you shoulda gone for Phillip. :)

Meta-Q: Would you prefer I comment on YouTube instead of on this thread?
Midori

Postby Mister Frodo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:03 am

Midori (post: 1439398) wrote:I might watch this. I also was unable to continue past 7 or 8 hours for unknown reasons.

Q: Why are you using Ice against the robots instead of Bolt? Aren't robots usually weak to Bolt?

...Also I think you shoulda gone for Phillip. :)

Meta-Q: Would you prefer I comment on YouTube instead of on this thread?

Thanks so much for watching! =D And I use Ice because I'm stupid and didn't think of using Bolt instead. I think I used Bolt on some robots in Part 2, which I haven't put up yet.

And as for whether to comment here or on youtube... Hmmm... I guess youtube? I'd say if you have a preference for here or there, then do that. It doesn't really matter to me.
Mister Frodo

Postby Peanut » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Sweet! More LPers! I've been trying to actually start one myself on Youtube however time and computer problems have prevented me from doing so.

Anyway, for your first video from your first LP, I'd say you did a really good job. You kept talking, kept my interest, and, fortunately, your worries over video problems turned out to be wrong. The only thing that caused me alarm was the choice of your first game not because it's been done a lot but because it's so long. This brings me to my one suggestion which is instead of doing 15 minute, self contained videos, why don't you try an post based on progress or record you playing for an hour and break that up into chunks? It just seems to me that if you post 1 fifteen minute video at a time, you're going to be doing (or, more likely, posting) this LP forever. But still, I'm interested and will be watching for future updates.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:09 am

I'll watch this! :D If you ask me, FFVII is the perfect game to do this for - it has enough stuff to make fun of, while there are still some fairly cool bits. I enjoyed this first installment, and especially laughed at the humming through the battle music, because I do that too :lol: (And I totally agree about VII and X having the best battle music!)
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:24 am

I wasn't expecting Mr. Frodo's voice to be so sultry smooth.

You need to record yourself reading books on tape.
Fish and Chips

Postby rocklobster » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:33 pm

Here's a tip: Don't record yourself when you're levelling up. It's not really necessary.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Hiryu » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:39 pm

Yea, Editing is a big part in making videos. I'm sure there are a few parts that are best left out or are summarized.
Hiryu

Postby Mister Frodo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks to all who watched Part 1, and especially to those of you who posted! =D

Part 2 is now up.

Part 2 does seem to have more obvious video problems (parts of the background in a couple places are visibly outlined in red or green), and I also had to edit out a couple parts because I again went over fifteen minutes when recording it. XD

Peanut wrote:Anyway, for your first video from your first LP, I'd say you did a really good job. You kept talking, kept my interest, and, fortunately, your worries over video problems turned out to be wrong. The only thing that caused me alarm was the choice of your first game not because it's been done a lot but because it's so long. This brings me to my one suggestion which is instead of doing 15 minute, self contained videos, why don't you try an post based on progress or record you playing for an hour and break that up into chunks? It just seems to me that if you post 1 fifteen minute video at a time, you're going to be doing (or, more likely, posting) this LP forever. But still, I'm interested and will be watching for future updates.

I mainly chose the game because I wanted to actually sit down and play through the whole thing, but you're right, it is a long game. I think your suggestion would be best, but my current schedule doesn't really permit me to spend an hour or two playing the game at a time. Hopefully, when more free time opens up after school lets out, I'll be able to devote larger chunks of time to the LP.

the_wolfs_howl wrote:I'll watch this! :D If you ask me, FFVII is the perfect game to do this for - it has enough stuff to make fun of, while there are still some fairly cool bits. I enjoyed this first installment, and especially laughed at the humming through the battle music, because I do that too (And I totally agree about VII and X having the best battle music!)

I'm glad you're okay with me humming through the battle music, because I think I may end up doing it for a while... XD

Fish and Chips wrote:You need to record yourself reading books on tape.

Surprisingly enough, you are not the first person to suggest this.

rocklobster wrote:Here's a tip: Don't record yourself when you're levelling up. It's not really necessary.

Thanks for the advice, rocklobster and hiryu! That's something I'll try to keep in mind going forward. I don't know if there'll be any moments where I go all out leveling while I'm in Midgar, but if and when I grind, I'll leave those parts out. Even though listening to me hum along to the battle music is entertaining, right? =D

And for those of you who think I may be choosing too popular a game to Let's Play, don't worry, I have you covered. I think THIS is definitely not any kind of overrated, uber popular title, right? =p
Mister Frodo

Postby Peanut » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:48 am

Mister Frodo (post: 1440470) wrote:Thanks to all who watched Part 1, and especially to those of you who posted! =D

Part 2 is now up.

Part 2 does seem to have more obvious video problems (parts of the background in a couple places are visibly outlined in red or green), and I also had to edit out a couple parts because I again went over fifteen minutes when recording it. XD

I didn't really notice any video problems, though I wasn't really looking. Either way, nice job again.

Mister Frodo wrote: I mainly chose the game because I wanted to actually sit down and play through the whole thing, but you're right, it is a long game. I think your suggestion would be best, but my current schedule doesn't really permit me to spend an hour or two playing the game at a time. Hopefully, when more free time opens up after school lets out, I'll be able to devote larger chunks of time to the LP.

Ok, that makes sense. Yeah, most of the LPers I follow all have time constraints so this doesn't really surprise me.

Mister Frodo wrote:And for those of you who think I may be choosing too popular a game to Let's Play, don't worry, I have you covered. I think THIS is definitely not any kind of overrated, uber popular title, right? =p

I saw this before you made this post and, actually, the first thought I had was "I'm surprised he didn't hum the Halo theme." I guess I just came to expect it with all your humming of the battle music in FFVII XD. Anyway, I have one comment on this video and its don't tell us if you're going to be making recordings back to back (well, at least not in the way you did it). Since you're posting in 15 minute increments right now, there really is no reason for us to now this and it kind of messed up the feel of this video being a self contained unit. If you were posting sets of 6 videos at a time or something, then you could mention (preferably at the beginning or in the middle) what you are doing but in this case, it didn't really work.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Mister Frodo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:15 pm

Peanut wrote:I saw this before you made this post and, actually, the first thought I had was "I'm surprised he didn't hum the Halo theme." I guess I just came to expect it with all your humming of the battle music in FFVII XD. Anyway, I have one comment on this video and its don't tell us if you're going to be making recordings back to back (well, at least not in the way you did it). Since you're posting in 15 minute increments right now, there really is no reason for us to now this and it kind of messed up the feel of this video being a self contained unit. If you were posting sets of 6 videos at a time or something, then you could mention (preferably at the beginning or in the middle) what you are doing but in this case, it didn't really work.

Yeah, that was being stupid on my part. I forgot I said that at the end, because my original plan was to record Part 2 right after I did Part 1... I should have either edited that out or at the very least said something about it in the description. I'll try my best to not make the same mistake in the future. Thanks for watching! =D
Mister Frodo

Postby Mister Frodo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:19 pm

For those of you interested, Part 3 is now up.
Mister Frodo

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews