Seeking help from someone who knows about Japanese PS3 games

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Seeking help from someone who knows about Japanese PS3 games

Postby Chrysolite » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:24 am

I have a rather strange problem...

I visited Japan recently, and, having confirmed that Japanese PS3 games will work on American PS3 units, I bought the Japanese versions of the Ratchet & Clank: Future games because I wanted to play them in Japanese and hear the Japanese dub. Well, when I got home and popped them in my PS3 they worked alright, but with one very odd and disappointing problem: they were in ENGLISH. O.O Everything was-- the menus, the dialogue, the subtitles... everything about them was virtually identical to the American version I already own, and yes, I did check the options menu and there were no Japanese language options-- not even for subtitles. This is really frustrating for me, because on top of having paid more for them than I paid for my American copies, I was just really looking forward to playing them in Japanese, plus I just plain don't get why I'm having this kind of problem. I mean, I know they're the Japanese version because they have the title printed in katakana right on the disc, for crying out loud, and I'm 99% positive they aren't bootlegs or anything because the packaging doesn't show any sign whatsoever of being fake and plus, I bought them at BookOff, a legitimate and widely-known store in Japan similar to Hastings.

Am I missing something? Do I have to adjust a region setting on my PS3 or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:
[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color]

Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise—
why destroy yourself?

Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool—
why die before your time?

It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other.
The man who fears God will avoid all extremes.

—Ecclesiastes 7:16-18
Chrysolite

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:28 pm

Ummmm...well, that's a problem I've never run into before. It's possible they didn't bother to translate any of the menus or anything, but...that seems odd to me. Are you sure it's a legit Japanese release of the game and not a bootleg?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:57 pm

I'll ask a friend of mine. As Shiroi said, it might be a bootleg instead of an official release. But my friend has a ton of Japanese import games and hasn't had this problem.
Atria35

Postby Chrysolite » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:36 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1444802) wrote: Are you sure it's a legit Japanese release of the game and not a bootleg?
If it's a bootleg, it's the most well-done bootleg I've ever seen. It has everything a legitimate release should have: the disc labels are professionally printed, the artwork inserts have all the warnings and company logos that you'd expect from a legitimate game, and they each have a full-color instruction booklet in Japanese printed on glossy paper complete with detailed technical info and everything. Besides, it doesn't make sense to me that a bootleg intended for sale in Japan wouldn't have any Japanese language options.
Atria35 wrote: I'll ask a friend of mine.
Thank you! :D

EDIT: Okay, I've solved the problem. Turns out all I needed to do was change my PS3's system language to Japanese. :red: Thanks anyway, though, guys! :thumb:
[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color]

Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise—
why destroy yourself?

Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool—
why die before your time?

It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other.
The man who fears God will avoid all extremes.

—Ecclesiastes 7:16-18
Chrysolite

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:01 pm

Chrysolite (post: 1444723) wrote:I have a rather strange problem...

I visited Japan recently, and, having confirmed that Japanese PS3 games will work on American PS3 units, I bought the Japanese versions of the Ratchet & Clank: Future games because I wanted to play them in Japanese and hear the Japanese dub. Well, when I got home and popped them in my PS3 they worked alright, but with one very odd and disappointing problem: they were in ENGLISH. O.O Everything was-- the menus, the dialogue, the subtitles... everything about them was virtually identical to the American version I already own, and yes, I did check the options menu and there were no Japanese language options-- not even for subtitles. This is really frustrating for me, because on top of having paid more for them than I paid for my American copies, I was just really looking forward to playing them in Japanese, plus I just plain don't get why I'm having this kind of problem. I mean, I know they're the Japanese version because they have the title printed in katakana right on the disc, for crying out loud, and I'm 99% positive they aren't bootlegs or anything because the packaging doesn't show any sign whatsoever of being fake and plus, I bought them at BookOff, a legitimate and widely-known store in Japan similar to Hastings.

Am I missing something? Do I have to adjust a region setting on my PS3 or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

I've only bought one non-American PS3 game, and it was Uncharted 2. As it turns out, it's the same way. English only. No option for non-English. Seems American made Sony games (I guess) have all the languages on the disc, and lock it to your system's region. My guess is this wouldn't apply to non-Sony owned games and non-English games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews