TALES (yes I'm a fan)

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

TALES (yes I'm a fan)

Postby Furen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:45 pm

With the new director of localization for the Tales of America team, there is a huge chance (with his hints) that Graces F will be released here! Either that or he's taunting us and making lots of enemies.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Roberts » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:55 am

Interesting, hope they do.

Been hearing a lot of good things about Graces F. Apparently there is a fan translation patch in the works for the japanese version, but I'm not remotely interested in hacking my PS3 for it.
Roberts

Postby Beau Soir » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am

Yeah, the problem is that I'm not interested in getting a PS3, nor do I have the cash to get something like that when my perfectly good PS2 plays Kingdom Hearts for me... XD

Speaking of which, I have Tales of the Abyss, but I still haven't played it yet! I keep seeing your sig, Ren, and thinking that I should...

If this thread is called Tales, can we use it as a general Tales Of thread?

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby Furen » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:33 pm

well they are almost guaranteeing it, they are taunting us, but they're going to say for sure what we're cheering about Feb 2nd. Also, why using the fan translation if they are actually going to make the real thing?

Why not make it a general Tales thread! I'll help out with any question I can, I love those games, I know the history of them better than history of class and physics of that world better than here XD... (Maybe not quite that, but still...) so if it's for sure ToG:F I'll let ya know.

Agreed that I don't want to buy a PS3 to get it, but if it's the only system, I'll be willing to fork out that, as the Wii games aren't going much farther recently. If it comes out for wii here, I'm for sure getting it, if not I'll have to figure something out, But I will play it O.O
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:31 pm

Roberts (post: 1454599) wrote:Interesting, hope they do.

Been hearing a lot of good things about Graces F. Apparently there is a fan translation patch in the works for the japanese version, but I'm not remotely interested in hacking my PS3 for it.

I've never seen a translation of a disc-based game in action before. I don't know why game companies don't force these fan translators to translate for them for free officially. The fan translators would be willing, and the companies would get a free translation, meaning free money for game sales.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1454784) wrote:I've never seen a translation of a disc-based game in action before. I don't know why game companies don't force these fan translators to translate for them for free officially. The fan translators would be willing, and the companies would get a free translation, meaning free money for game sales.

I know the guy who made Mother 3 mentioned how much he appreciated the people who worked on the English fan translation for that, but a) he probably wasn't going to be making any more money off of it because it was out of print by the time they did it and they hadn't planned a US release at all and b) like fansubbers/torrent users, there's plenty more game companies that would come down pretty hard on it, like Square-Enix's tough tactics against fan remakes.

It definitely depends on the company, too; Valve hires people who make great mods for their games, and that's sort of like hiring fan translators (people who love the game so much that they'll mess with it for free). There would probably be some serious legal issues to pick through, too, because fan translators could be considered to be inciting or encouraging piracy.

As for fan translations for disc-based systems, I have one, so it can be done, but I got it already patched as a non-physical copy, so I have no idea how it happened. I did find a program that takes in a patch and a disc image, and outputs a patched image, but there's nothing about its technical details.

(*has nothing to add about the Tales series*)
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:24 pm

Well, localizing ToGF would certainly be a start. I like the series, but Namco Bandai has been one of the most "localization-unfriendly" companies, so I have trouble working up enthusiasm whenever a new title is released in Japan.

Now if Nintendo would actually get on the ball and bring over Xenoblade and The Last Story...

I've never seen a translation of a disc-based game in action before. I don't know why game companies don't force these fan translators to translate for them for free officially. The fan translators would be willing, and the companies would get a free translation, meaning free money for game sales.

XSEED actually used a fan-translation as a base for the recent Ys:The Oath in Felghana release. But a large company probably wouldn't do this.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Furen » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:40 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1454784) wrote:I've never seen a translation of a disc-based game in action before. I don't know why game companies don't force these fan translators to translate for them for free officially. The fan translators would be willing, and the companies would get a free translation, meaning free money for game sales.

Reason they don't let fans do this is because the translators has all rights to the copies they modified and get profit, which is all about the love of money. If they fixed that, maybe that would work sure.
Furen

Postby Furen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:40 pm

Namco Bandai has officially announced for all of us North Americans that Tales of Gracis F is coming out over here in the future. Official Proof from Community Manager of Namco Bandai: Richard Bantegui, aka "FilthieRich,"

Man, now I really want a PS3 if it's not coming out for wii (unlikely)
Furen

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews