Playing M-Rated Games

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Postby Riggidig » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:04 am

Nate (post: 1456735) wrote:But I think most of us saw violent movies when we were kids...I remember distinctly seeing Predator and Blade Runner by the time I was 10 years old.

And the conclusion Jeff and I have both reached is we turned out okay.

LOL yeah, I also watched a lot of movies I "wasn't supposed to" around that age :grin:
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby Atria35 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:42 am

Yeah, same here. I think I saw Titanic when I was 6 or 7. But I turned out fine.

It all depends on what the person can handle and has convictions about. I can handle video game gore because for the most part, it's just not that realistic. Which is also why I can handle anime where people's heads get blown off.

Now, put me in front of a movie where people have that happen to them..... yeahno. I will freak.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:48 pm

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1456727) wrote:Yeah. Though, I do kinda like playing a dark side game of Knights of the Old Republic XD
Ugh, I can't do Dark Side in KotOR(or Jade Empire), it's like you spend the entire game kicking puppies just because you can. I'm not opposed to Karma Meters but I'm really glad they're doing what they do with Mass Effect and Dragon Age now.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:56 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1456812) wrote:Ugh, I can't do Dark Side in KotOR(or Jade Empire), it's like you spend the entire game kicking puppies just because you can. I'm not opposed to Karma Meters but I'm really glad they're doing what they do with Mass Effect and Dragon Age now.

Yeah, I've tried playing as the dark side before, but I always feel bad for the innocent people my character winds up victimizing... And so, I wind up stopping. Light side every time.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:03 pm

Well, I mean, if every option wasn't "destroy because you're a jerk", then I wouldn't mind as much. Playing Renegade in Mass Effect is nice because you get to play an antihero, a pragmatist who is kind of a jerk, rather than a guy who just does stuff for teh evulz.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Interestingly enough, one of the M-rated games I was playing recently made me stop and put down the game for a while because it was difficult for me to proceed without taking a break.

That game is Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey.

There are three alignments in that game: Law, Neutral, and Chaos. Choices you make in conversation and actions you take can change your alignment on a sliding scale (one extreme being law, the middle is neutral, and the other is chaos; so if you become Law and then start making Chaos decisions, you'll turn Neutral).

A super quick overview is there's a strange anomaly in the Antarctic and a small team is sent to investigate. It turns out that demons are trying to destroy the world, and your character has to decide what to do. Law is the "man of God" who tries to defeat the demons with holiness by following God's commands. Neutral is the side of the humans, who just want to stop the world from being destroyed. Chaos is siding with the demons, agreeing to help destroy the world.

I played Neutral my first time through. I immediately wanted to play the game again, and started a New Game + on the Law alignment, siding with God against the evils of the demons! And...I got near the climax of the game, and the things my character did and the repercussions they carried for the other members of my crew made me feel AWFUL. I couldn't play again for a while after that. It really made me feel bad.

And I'm the guy who mows down people on the street in GTA games because wooo fun!

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Atria35 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:45 pm

Nate (post: 1456825) wrote:I played Neutral my first time through. I immediately wanted to play the game again, and started a New Game + on the Law alignment, siding with God against the evils of the demons! And...I got near the climax of the game, and the things my character did and the repercussions they carried for the other members of my crew made me feel AWFUL. I couldn't play again for a while after that. It really made me feel bad.

And I'm the guy who mows down people on the street in GTA games because wooo fun!

woah. That's... woah. I think I'll make a note so that I can avoid that game. I've never come across it, but I think that I can't be too careful.
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:15 am

Christian reviews of games are priceless when deciding whether an M-rated game is okay for you or not. I wish the game reviews section on here was more extensive than it is, but at the very least if you've got a specific game in mind you can post on a forum like this in case anyone else has played it and knows for sure what's in it.

Incidentally, my first M-rated game was Half-Life and it didn't disturb me at all, while the game that did affect me enough to make me not want to play it was the original Oregon Trail game :lol:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Sheenar » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:50 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1457123) wrote:Incidentally, my first M-rated game was Half-Life and it didn't disturb me at all, while the game that did affect me enough to make me not want to play it was the original Oregon Trail game :lol:

I played Half-Life once. It was fun, though frustrating (the little yellow creatures kept killing me and were hard to shoot, lol.) Not offensive/disturbing to me at all.

My cousins and I also played the original Doom game back when it came out. Another fun one. A bit gory, but still enjoyable.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Derek_Is_Me » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:57 am

If your looking for a good war game that has you killing zombies then I recommend Black ops or World at War. Both Call of Duty games. If you don't mind war games that is. I have to tell you though. Also another VERY good series of games. If you don't mind third person and your a Star Wars fan. Then I recommend Star Wars: Knights of the old republic 1 & 2. Both are rated T as per my knowledge and both are extremly well made.
Derek -The Daring Pokemon - A cool, totally awesome Pokemon that uses his power of song, medical skills and powers of cool to make others see things differently. He is not temperamental, but he likes to pull pranks and grins when you fall into his traps. Usually, he styles a fedora and prances around on all fours, he's all black with a white belly.

"Although I look into infinity. I only see the lords eyes, always shining upon my face and smiling in my heart. He will always be with me, no matter where I may go. Always watch over me lord. For I shall be eternal in your light."-Derek.
Derek_Is_Me

Location: Staring at you from your window outside. You have nice tastes in decor.

Postby TheMewster » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:29 pm

I've never played anything above T. (Oh please, like I'd get M-Rated games around my mom). But I don't believe we should look at only the rating. We need to judge by the content of the games. And like some here have finally brought to my attention, we need to look at the CONTEXT of the games, too. But everyone has been created differently by God. If you don't feel comfortable playing M-Rated games, don't play 'em. Nobody can force you to. Just my two cents. :)
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:48 am

TopazRaven (post: 1456729) wrote:In all honesty I usually only play T-rated games and under because I can't handle gore. I never liked war games for this reason, but the kid I used to babysit would play them all the time. It always kind of disturbed me his parents would let a 10-year old play games where the whole point was basically shooting, blowing up and torturing people. So yeah anyway, I have played a little bit of GTA at a friends house before, it was a long time ago though, so maybe one of the first games. I just had fun driving around running from the cops. xD

For what it's worth a lot of M games aren't even that gory. Like, Modern Warfare 2 and Halo have like, almost no swearing or gore. MW2 literally used the f word once. (Infinity Ward seems to keep the Call of Duty games clean, but Treyarch doesn't.) The extent of the "gore" is fake looking blood. Now, a game that bothered me was Bioshock. The way they did the gore and what not was just kinda gross. At least, for myself, I don't like gross out gore at all. And I've seldom come across games that let you torture anyone.

(Also, M rated games are nothing new to my house hold. My dad played Quake 2 and my mom's favorite game is Half-Life XD)
Shao Feng-Li

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:25 am

If Bioshock is the game that I'm thinking of then I remember the commercials for that game gave me nightmares. xD
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:46 pm

Derek_Is_Me wrote:If your looking for a good war game that has you killing zombies then I recommend Wolfenstein 3D.

Fixed. ;)
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:14 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1458971) wrote:If Bioshock is the game that I'm thinking of then I remember the commercials for that game gave me nightmares. xD

Yeah, it's rather gruesome, which sucks, because there's a lot about it that's really cool.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:25 am

Yeah, the first level of Bioshock is pretty bloody - there's all these messages written on the walls in blood, puddles and such...but after that it didn't seem so bad to me.

What I found freaky was the place where the zombie-people pretend to be statues, and then you turn around and they've moved. Eep! o_o
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Previous

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews