PSN Down....Again

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Postby Seto_Sora » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:21 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1474725) wrote:Why is the middle man always blamed when something like this happens? Is it simply because we can identify them?

I completely agree with you Bob. Its unfair to get angry with Sony at this point. We have a couple basic facts. One: PSN is down. Two: we are told its because of hacking. Three: Sony is trying to fix the issue. So basically, we just need to sit tight and wait for this thing to unfold.
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Nate » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:48 am

Bobtheduck wrote:There's no such thing as an unhackable system

I agree, there isn't. But the point is that if what is said is true, then Sony themselves thought their system was unhackable. That means this is--guess what--Sony's fault if that article was factual! Because Sony allowed unrestricted and unchecked access to developer consoles, and the only, ONLY reason they would do that is if they were arrogant and went "Well it's IMPOSSIBLE to hack a normal console to be recognized as a developer console so we don't need to put any security precautions other than a simple check to see if it is a dev console!"

Again, assuming that article is true...and if you're mentioning Geohot, then you're operating under the assumption that it is true (since all the Geohot thing did was make a normal console recognizable as a developer console).

Finally, why would you blame Geohot anyway? All Geohot did is release a program]Why is the middle man always blamed when something like this happens?[/QUOTE]
middleman - 1. A trader who buys from producers and sells to retailers or consumers.
2. An intermediary; a go-between.

I'm confused. Who's the middleman in this scenario? It certainly isn't Sony, since they're not an intermediary, they're the direct party responsible.

And the reason people are blaming Sony is simple: it's their fault. Yes, there's no such thing as a system that can't be hacked. That doesn't excuse Sony from making a network that has actual security measures. To put it simply, if someone was smart enough and good enough, they could break into Fort Knox and steal a bunch of gold. But just because that could happen doesn't give the US government the excuse to say "Well, then we'll just put an unlocked screen door on the fault with a note that says 'Please don't steal any gold' since we can't create a fort that's completely impenetrable." They still have the obligation to protect Fort Knox to the best of their ability.

Likewise, Sony had the obligation to protect PSN to the best of their ability, and they failed miserably. And not only did they fail, they don't even seem to care that they failed. Releasing a statement that "Hey, all your info might have been stolen" SIX DAYS AFTER THE INCIDENT is pretty negligent and just makes them look like they don't even care about their customers.

Put simply, we have two options: either Sony is incredibly stupid and run by idiots and morons of the greatest degree, or they're actively evil and malicious. Since I don't think it's the latter, it's clearly the former. Sony is partially at fault for not having a good enough security system set up on PSN. They're not at fault for being hacked, but they are partially responsible for making it easy to be hacked. If I drive to the red light district and leave my car door wide open and a wad of hundred dollar bills sitting on the seat, while that doesn't make me responsible if I get robbed blind, it does make me INCREDIBLY STUPID for doing that.

And Sony is 100% completely responsible for not doing enough to protect customer information. That part is at least accurate and cannot be refuted.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:40 pm

Nate (post: 1474808) wrote:I agree, there isn't. But the point is that if what is said is true, then Sony themselves thought their system was unhackable. That means this is--guess what--Sony's fault if that article was factual!

Except the article was saying the reason Sony shut down PSN was because fake dev consoles were getting free games.

Reddit thing wrote:Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available.

No has said that this hack = access to CC# info. We have two separate claims: "Hackers may have access to personal info" (Sony) and "Sony shut down PSN because people were pirating." (the Reddit commenter)

Because Sony allowed unrestricted and unchecked access to developer consoles, and the only, ONLY reason they would do that is if they were arrogant and went "Well it's IMPOSSIBLE to hack a normal console to be recognized as a developer console so we don't need to put any security precautions other than a simple check to see if it is a dev console!"

IF the article was true, then actually no one has any reason to worry about their info because no one has said these things were accessible via dev consoles.

Again, assuming that article is true...and if you're mentioning Geohot, then you're operating under the assumption that it is true (since all the Geohot thing did was make a normal console recognizable as a developer console).

Actually, what I said is hackers were **** off that Geohot lost the suit, so they're trying to bring Sony down.

Finally, why would you blame Geohot anyway? All Geohot did is release a program]

I never said I blamed Geohot. I have my own views on him, but this isn't really the place. I was talking about groups that were angry he lost the suit and retaliated, which ALREADY HAPPENED ONCE so having it happen twice is a reasonable guess.

If anything, this makes me support Geohot even more...and no, it isn't because I hate Sony or anything (I own a PS3 and wouldn't trade it in since I like it so much), but because he hasn't done anything wrong and for people to blame him for something HE DIDN'T DO is to me extremely reprehensible and ignorant.

As I already covered this, I'll go on.

middleman - 1. A trader who buys from producers and sells to retailers or consumers.
2. An intermediary; a go-between.

I'm confused. Who's the middleman in this scenario? It certainly isn't Sony, since they're not an intermediary, they're the direct party responsible.

You mean they hacked the system? Is a murder victim the party directly responsible because they didn't defend themselves well enough? Is a parent of a kidnapped child the party directly responsible because they didn't protect their child well enough? I mean, I know American culture plays the victim card FAR too often, but that doesn't mean it's never valid. And, so you know, parents of kidnapped children ARE often blamed for someone taking their kids. By spouses, by family members, by anyone close enough to have an emotional interest in the event.

And the reason people are blaming Sony is simple: it's their fault. Yes, there's no such thing as a system that can't be hacked. That doesn't excuse Sony from making a network that has actual security measures.

Well, I can't speak for PSN, but it took 4 years to hack the PS3. Far longer than the Wii or the 360. I'd say they actually did have a pretty good handle on security, but guess what? If people hated them enough, someone would eventually get in. While the leaks haven't been this extensive, leaks have occurred on XBL as well. Not to mention Best Buy, and several banks that had all their accounts hacked. Really, hacking this info is akin to modern day bank robbery. Do banks get blamed when they're robbed? Funny enough, they DO, but do you really think they should be?

To put it simply, if someone was smart enough and good enough, they could break into Fort Knox and steal a bunch of gold. But just because that could happen doesn't give the US government the excuse to say "Well, then we'll just put an unlocked screen door on the fault with a note that says 'Please don't steal any gold' since we can't create a fort that's completely impenetrable." They still have the obligation to protect Fort Knox to the best of their ability.

And you're absolutely, 100% sure Sony didn't? They SHUT DOWN the network completely once they discovered they'd been compromised, and spent days trying to figure out the extent of the compromise.

Likewise, Sony had the obligation to protect PSN to the best of their ability, and they failed miserably. And not only did they fail, they don't even seem to care that they failed.

I can't argue that one either way. I don't know. I don't think you do either, but that's taking this conversation down a different road.

Releasing a statement that "Hey, all your info might have been stolen" SIX DAYS AFTER THE INCIDENT is pretty negligent and just makes them look like they don't even care about their customers.

They were trying to figure out what the extent of the intrusion was. They didn't want to create a panic unnecessarily. I don't know why people find this concept so hard to understand. Many false alarms have been worse than real ones because people panic and Sony had a duty to shareholders to NOT CAUSE A PANIC IN THEIR CUSTOMERS until they knew more.

Put simply, we have two options: either Sony is incredibly stupid and run by idiots and morons of the greatest degree, or they're actively evil and malicious.

Ah, false dichotomy.

That part is at least accurate and cannot be refuted.

Except I do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Midori » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Guys, this is really pushing the line of politics, and it's clearly just about ready to get out of hand. Let's have no more fighting over who's to blame for the data breach. If that can't be avoided, this thread will be shut down.

EDIT: The post after this one was made before the poster saw this warning, so feel free to ignore it.
Midori

Postby Nate » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:41 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:Except the article was saying the reason Sony shut down PSN was because fake dev consoles were getting free games.

Yes...and that proves my point that Sony themselves were the ones saying their system was unhackable because they didn't put security measures in place to restrict what dev consoles can do. Their line of thought was "There's NO WAY someone could hack the system to make it look like a dev console, so we don't need any security precautions. As long as the console says 'Yep I'm a dev console' then it's perfectly fine!"

So...you really just are supporting what I said...thanks for agreeing with me I suppose?
No has said that this hack = access to CC# info. We have two separate claims: "Hackers may have access to personal info" (Sony) and "Sony shut down PSN because people were pirating." (the Reddit commenter)

Okay, I misunderstood on that. It does seem like perhaps there's two separate things going on here. If that's the case, then the question is which one Sony reacted to first, and really there's no way to tell.

As for this possibly being a form of revenge against Sony for the Geohot thing, I say, good. Sony deserves it. Note however that I do not condone identity theft]Actually, what I said is hackers were **** off that Geohot lost the suit[/QUOTE]
Except he didn't lose. They settled out of court. He agreed not to work on Sony consoles anymore, but that doesn't count as a loss, since the court case did not render a verdict.
You mean they hacked the system? Is a murder victim the party directly responsible because they didn't defend themselves well enough? Is a parent of a kidnapped child the party directly responsible because they didn't protect their child well enough? I mean, I know American culture plays the victim card FAR too often, but that doesn't mean it's never valid. And, so you know, parents of kidnapped children ARE often blamed for someone taking their kids. By spouses, by family members, by anyone close enough to have an emotional interest in the event.

Didn't I mention something in my post about how if I left a wad of cash in my car seat with a wide open door in the red light district, it doesn't mean I'm responsible for its theft but it makes me incredibly stupid and a moron? Pretty sure I did...well, since apparently that didn't go through, I guess I'll re-type it.

Sony is partially at fault for not having a good enough security system set up on PSN. They're not at fault for being hacked, but they are partially responsible for making it easy to be hacked. If I drive to the red light district and leave my car door wide open and a wad of hundred dollar bills sitting on the seat, while that doesn't make me responsible if I get robbed blind, it does make me INCREDIBLY STUPID for doing that.

Say what you will about Xbox Live, but I don't recall a major fiasco like this happening with their service. This is probably because one, the service costs money for people to use, which means that Microsoft is fully invested in protecting the interests of its users...because if people are upset with their service, they'll stop paying money. People not paying money is usually a pretty good incentive for businesses to protect that. Whereas with Sony I get a feeling it's like "Pssh what do you expect? You don't pay for this service," which is bad for business and an insult to consumers. There are of course PSN+ users, but that service wasn't available until a while ago. I can't seem to find any numbers on how many people are using the Plus account, though a February 2011 article says that it reached 100,000 subscribers. I do feel safe in saying that likely, the Plus account users are not a majority of the people using PSN, though.

Which, as I said, gives Sony little incentive to do the things Microsoft has done...namely, work their butts off to protect private data and ensure the network has top of the line security (one might also wonder if Microsoft is actually better at doing security than Sony is, being almost exclusively a computer company while Sony does a bit of everything).
Well, I can't speak for PSN, but it took 4 years to hack the PS3. Far longer than the Wii or the 360. I'd say they actually did have a pretty good handle on security

But security for a system by itself is always going to be easier to do than security on a network, which doesn't really prove a whole lot. Hacking a PS3 on its own doesn't really hurt much...hacking a network with personal info does. To me, this actually proves Microsoft more competent. So their system gets hacked, so what? They're protecting what's truly important, and they're doing what they want to prevent people from hacking their systems anyway...remember the outcry about MS banning modded consoles from XBL a while ago? This actually to me is far preferable to what Sony did. Microsoft honestly doesn't give a crap if you hack their console. You just void the warranty, and can't get online with it. Other than that, whatever. But Sony was too far interested in keeping people out from under the hoods of their PS3 and apparently wasn't interested in protecting info on a network.
While the leaks haven't been this extensive, leaks have occurred on XBL as well.

And there's the problem. The problems with XBL haven't been this extensive. At no point in XBL's existence have they had to shut down the network for over a week because of a hackers. This argument actually strengthens what I'm saying, that Sony is either incompetent or just doesn't care...because XBL has been running a LOT longer than PSN (almost nine years in fact), and hasn't had as many major problems.

In fact, the problem that a few sites are reporting right now (and the reason why Microsoft has issued a security alert for XBL) is that people are using in-game chats for phishing...which is a problem, yes, but far from the problem PSN had, and one that isn't Microsoft's fault in the least.
Do banks get blamed when they're robbed? Funny enough, they DO, but do you really think they should be?

This isn't a valid comparison for the fact that in a bank robbery scenario, people's lives are at stake...actual, physical lives, because the robber might have a gun and shoot some people up if he gets upset. Thus, the decision might be made to give the guy what he wants in the interest of having someone not get killed or injured, and at that point it doesn't matter what kind of security you have because you're attempting to save human lives.

No one can really be murdered over a network hack, unless someone broke into Sony's offices and held a gun to the head of an IT guy and was like "Give me everyone's personal info or I'll blow your brains out!" If that actually happened, then I will absolve Sony of any blame, because that guy did what he had to do to protect his life. If that ISN'T what happened, though, then that's different.
They SHUT DOWN the network completely once they discovered they'd been compromised, and spent days trying to figure out the extent of the compromise.

And didn't tell anyone anything. The other half of doing everything you possibly can to protect people is to INFORM THEM if something horrible has happened. As I said, it took SIX DAYS for them to inform people something may have happened. That's unacceptable, and proves how negligent and incompetent Sony is. You can bet if Microsoft had a problem like this, they'd IMMEDIATELY inform people of the problem, because they want people to trust them and keep paying them money.
They were trying to figure out what the extent of the intrusion was. They didn't want to create a panic unnecessarily.

That scenario would make sense if they hadn't shut down PSN. When PSN was shut down and Sony didn't release an official statement, guess what people relied on? Rumors. Hearsay. In other words, things probably got WORSE by Sony not releasing an official statement, because then nobody knew WHAT was going on.

If a massive explosion took out all of New York City, do you think it would be BETTER for the government to not say anything about it until a week after it happened? If so, I don't know what to say to you, because that would clearly be a bad move. If something huge happens, people want info. They want to know what they should be doing. That's SIX WHOLE DAYS that, if a hacker had someone's personal info, they could be using it for identity theft and someone wouldn't even know about it because Sony NEVER TOLD THEM.
Many false alarms have been worse than real ones because people panic and Sony had a duty to shareholders to NOT CAUSE A PANIC IN THEIR CUSTOMERS until they knew more.

Duty to shareholders? Oh, so you're saying that their profits are more important than informing people that their personal information may have been compromised. If you're seriously arguing that shareholders are more important than people's identity and accounts, then I think this conversation is worthless because we simply find different things more important. I've never been a fan of putting profits over people.

As far as I'm concerned, Sony's duty was to its USERS who needed to be informed, PROMPTLY, that their information may have been compromised so they could take the necessary steps to prevent their identities from being stolen. Sony should have protected its users first and foremost, and they didn't, and that to me is absolutely indefensible. Period.
Ah, false dichotomy.

Yeah, because I'm sure that everyone at Sony is completely intelligent and competent and the stars have aligned so that their best efforts are thwarted by the cosmos! Because that's honestly the only other option.

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:43 pm

Midori, my post was being written before you made yours, and I can't edit mine because it'll go over the character limit. XP Suffice to say, I'll stop since you requested it, and I don't really feel any desire to continue the conversation anyway even if you hadn't.

Nate

Postby Yamamaya » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:06 pm

Sony is incompetent, there's no two things about it. They even failed to encrypt customers passwords. They were all in plaintext.

What the hackers did ultimately does not matter. If you run a large network, you should expect that hackers will try to hack it, thus you must take the proper measures to protect your customers.
I'm sorry, but when you're that stupid, you're just asking to get hacked.
Yamamaya

Postby Nate » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:30 pm

Anyway, getting off the subject of blame, a Q&A thing has been posted on the official Playstation blog:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/27/qa-1-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services/

The only really "new" information is this:
Q: When will the PlayStation Network and Qriocity be back online?
A: Our employees have been working day and night to restore operations as quickly as possible, and we expect to have some services up and running within a week from yesterday. However, we want to be very clear that we will only restore operations when we are confident that the network is secure.

So, SOME stuff may be available by next week, possibly, but it's all dependent on when they get things patched up. Also, a bit of an interesting statement from SOE regarding online only games like DCU Online and Free Realms:
We apologize for any inconvenience players may have experienced as a result of the recent service interruption," said the company. "As a global leader in online gaming, SOE is committed to delivering stable and entertaining games for players of all ages. To thank players for their patience, we will be hosting special events this weekend across our game portfolio, including a Double Station Cash day on Saturday, April 30th. We are also working on a 'make good' plan for players of the PS3 versions of DC Universe Online and Free Realms. Details will be available soon on the individual game websites and forums.

So for people with those games, at least, Sony will be making some attempt to make amends for this whole situation. Which is cool for them, but they really should extend this to ALL PSN users somehow. I know that, for example, when Nintendo charged money for their internet browser a while back and then made it free, they allowed people who had paid money the opportunity to download a free NES game from a selected list.

I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard for Sony to say that everyone can choose one 5 dollar or less item from PSN for free because of this whole thing, and it would probably go a long way to giving them good publicity and maybe getting back on the good side of some people. The question is, though, will they do something like that (and my guess is no, they won't).

Nate

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:04 pm

USA Today wrote:Sony says that the credit card data of PlayStation users around the world may have been stolen in a hack that forced it to shut down its PlayStation Network for the past week, disconnecting 77 million user accounts.

PlayStation data leak could be largest ever
Roy Mustang

Postby Slater » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:39 am

Slater

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:41 pm

I got an email from Sony today talking about how personal information could possibly be compromised and blah blah blah.

What I want to know is, if info was leaked and thousands of people become victims of identity theft because of this, who would they file suit against in order to get compensation...? I know I'm gonna be **** if that happens to me; that's the last thing I need to happen right now.

They also said that when the service comes back online to change your PSN password. But what if the password was changed by someone else so that you can't get in and change it? Gah!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Xeno » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:46 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1475162) wrote:They also said that when the service comes back online to change your PSN password. But what if the password was changed by someone else so that you can't get in and change it? Gah!

The next time you log in from your PS3/PSP/Whatever it'll prompt you automatically. If your account has been hijacked and the email associated with the handle was changed then I'd imagine you'd probably have to go through Security Questions/Answers or make a new PSN account.
Xeno

Postby Seto_Sora » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:54 pm

[quote="ShiroiHikari (post: 1475162)"]What I want to know is, if info was leaked and thousands of people become victims of identity theft because of this, who would they file suit against in order to get compensation...? I know I'm gonna be **** if that happens to me]

If you are worried about identity theft, its best to be cautious. Just keep an eye on your credit cards to make sure there are no unusual charges or unauthorized charges (your credit card providers are required by law to take off any charges that aren't yours). Do the same with your checking and savings accounts. Larger banks are typically able to help you with unauthorized charges in these sorts of accounts but in a shorter amount of time... more like thirty days. If you are really worried that you are at risk, you have the ability and privileged of calling your banks and preemptively changing your credit card numbers and checking/savings account numbers.
To make sure someone isn't using your SSN, just, in a month or two, pull a credit report. You are legally allowed to do this free of charge once a year (though make sure that your pulling it from a .gov site and not a .com site). You can also pay a monthly fee to have one of the three credit bureaus monitor the activity on your reports and alert you to any suspicious activity. I don't know how well that last option works though.
Now that is what anyone should be doing in the first place if they feel they are at risk. However, I can point out some very important facts just to let you know that you aren't currently at risk for identity theft. First off, PSN never asked for your Social Security Number. So that is still safe. Secondly, you probably only have one credit card attached to your PSN account, therefore multiple accounts are not at risk. So the two things you should be watching out for in this leak are fishing scams from email (strange emails asking for personal information like credit card numbers and SSNs) and unauthorized activity on the credit card you gave Sony for any transactions made on the PSN. So thats that. Quick and easy fix: change your credit card number and email address. Your done and protected. End of story.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby broly146 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:18 pm

Didn't they catch who hacked PSN already?
It's not whether you can or can't do it, it is if you do it or not. Nothing comes easy in this world, especially a job or money. I rely on Jesus to get me through these hard times of persecution.
broly146

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:40 pm

If my CARD was compromised (no proof of that, yet) it would be a pain for me to change, because I'm in Korea. So far, there's no proof cards have been compromised. Unfortunately, evidence of the cards being compromised would be in the form of a LARGE NUMBER of Sony fans having unwanted charges on their account. A FEW of them could be unrelated credit card fraud...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby broly146 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:43 pm

that's not good
It's not whether you can or can't do it, it is if you do it or not. Nothing comes easy in this world, especially a job or money. I rely on Jesus to get me through these hard times of persecution.
broly146

Postby blkmage » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:39 am

blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:59 am

PSN Plus ain't free though. :I

If they want to charge money for PSN from now on, I would be totally okay with that if it means they have the funds and the means to make it...you know...secure.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:53 pm

Hey, I had a customer buying an XBox since the PSN went down. She said that even Home Land Security is looking into the situation. Can anyone verify that?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Xeno » Sun May 01, 2011 2:05 am

Not sure if Homeland Security is, but I do know that the FBI along with whatever their Canadian counterpart is are looking into the whole fiasco.
Xeno

Postby Nate » Sun May 01, 2011 11:34 am

According to a news article posted on GB, PSN is set to partially return this week.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/playstation-network-partially-coming-back-online-this-week-with-new-security-measures/3109/
Starting this week, some PSN services will come back online. The company has prioritized certain services over others, obviously, and the rollout will happen region-by-region. The list is as follows:

-Restoration of online game-play across the PlayStation 3 and PSP systems (this includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games)
-Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
-Access to account management and password reset
-Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
-PlayStation Home
-Friends List
-Chat Functionality

Before you can access any of those, there will be a firmware update requiring a PSN password change.

Also, surprisingly, Sony has been talking about compensation, and the deal is as follows:
We now know it will be part of a larger "Welcome Back" campaign that will see the entire PSN userbase gaining access to PlayStation Plus for 30 days. Existing members, however, will simply receive an additional free month of access. Additional content will be offered for free, but as those will be region-specific, details are not yet available.

Existing Qriocity users will also receive an additional 30 days of service.

That's actually pretty good of them. Guess I'll download Sonic 2 after all. Can't argue with free! Seriously though, it's actually pretty good of them to give compensation like this, I never would have expected them to.

The only problem is, when will the store be back up? A free month of PSN Plus is nice, but if there's no store to take advantage of it...

Nate

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon May 02, 2011 4:56 pm

And now SOE hacked (it and SCEI are separate divisions run with little influence from the other)

Um... This may be the first time hackers succeed in bringing down a large company. I seem to remember some talk about Tyler Durden yesterday... Yeah, I bet these hackers think they're doing something good for the world, threatening all these jobs and causing a headache for banks... Sony should obviously monitor each individual IP that logs in, check their system for any hint they're up to no good, then send police to personally interrogate them before they allow anyone onto PSN or onto the MMOs, ya know, just to make sure this doesn't happen.
Bobtheduck

Postby Nate » Mon May 02, 2011 10:20 pm

The news articles I read said that the SOE incident actually happened BEFORE the PSN outage, on the 16th and 17th. Further, it's a bit of a different problem, as they are pretty confident that user information was actually taken from this attack, and most of it is from non-US citizens:

"The information from the outdated database that may have been stolen includes approximately 12,700 non-U.S. credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes), and about 10,700 direct debit records of certain customers in Austria, Germany, Netherlands and Spain."

SOE is saying that the credit card info gained was largely cards that had already expired. And again, US users are pretty much unaffected by it (not saying that as in "We're the only country that matters," but in the sense that most people on this site are from the US).
Sony should obviously monitor each individual IP that logs in, check their system for any hint they're up to no good, then send police to personally interrogate them before they allow anyone onto PSN or onto the MMOs

Nate

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon May 02, 2011 10:24 pm

Nate (post: 1476244) wrote:Image

Whatever works, mayhaps. Or whatever doesn't. But, yeah, I guess I won't go further into this.
Bobtheduck

Postby Seto_Sora » Thu May 05, 2011 12:50 pm

awe come on! when is PSN going to be up in my region? (I don't actually expect an answer to that question... I'm asking kinda rhetorically).

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Nate » Thu May 05, 2011 8:06 pm

PatrickEklektos wrote:awe come on! when is PSN going to be up in my region? (I don't actually expect an answer to that question... I'm asking kinda rhetorically).

I shall answer anyway, from the news room at Giant Bomb:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/playstation-network-in-final-stages-of-internal-testing-says-sony-updated/3142/
Given the breadth of the intrusion into PlayStation Network, it's was a little surprising when Sony outright said parts of the service would come back online this week. The company made no promises about what PSN components would be available, but as Thursday closes out and PSN remains offline, Sony took to the PlayStation Blog to address concerns about the ability to hop online soon.

"Today," said senior director of corporate communications and social media Patrick Seybold, "our global network and security teams at Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment began the final stages of internal testing of the new system, an important step towards restoring PlayStation Network and Qriocity services."

So earlier, when they said they were coming back online this week bit by bit, that was a bit premature (although I guess they still have until Saturday technically). Really though, the answer is "When it's fixed," but they seem pretty eager to get it up fairly soon, and Howard Stringer said they'll start bringing it back in the "coming days."

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue May 31, 2011 11:28 am

So remember when Sony said the Playstation Store would definitely be up by the end of the month? Yeah, that didn't happen. They're now saying it'll be up by the end of this week. Of course, I don't believe them, why would I? They obviously didn't care about the last deadline they gave, so why should they care about this one?

I want to download my LA Noire content. And God help the poor saps that bought Dirt 3 on PS3. They can't even play it online because you have to redeem a code in the PS Store to play online. I have a feeling people with multiple systems probably got the 360 version just because you can actually play the game online on the 360 right now. I really wonder if Dirt 3's PS3 sales will be significantly lower because of Sony's complete incompetence regarding this whole thing.

Nate

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue May 31, 2011 6:53 pm

Oh, and PSN is still down in Hong Kong and Korea. I think those are the last two regions it's down in.

I hope I can get on to get my free stuffz before they stop running the promotion (Just so you know, even though I use a US account, I can't access in Korea because the Korean servers are down)
Bobtheduck

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:12 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:I hope I can get on to get my free stuffz before they stop running the promotion (Just so you know, even though I use a US account, I can't access in Korea because the Korean servers are down)

Wait a minute, do you mean to say that their "Please don't hate us" campaign is currently running and we can't get on the PS Store to take advantage of it? :eyebrow: What manner of . . .
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:22 pm

This just in: Sales of Xbox 360 skyrocket! Film at 11.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Previous Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews