CAA Radio Season Two Topic Circuit

Talk about anything in here.

CAA Radio Season Two Topic Circuit

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:13 pm

Hey there CAA. Have a seat, here, in the no smoking section.

Now as a few of you are aware, a few ambitious members with a little too much spare time are bringing back CAA Radio. Yes, yes the fabled podcast, under some of the same people again, isn't that convenient? However, we need your help.

As a general interest show, we carry the unspoken obligation to be actually be generally interesting and relevant to the board, which is why this thread is here. If you have an idea for a topic, something you'd like the hosts to toss around on air, post it in here, and we'll take care of the rest. Each episode we'll scoop up a few of the best suggestions and introduce them on air, including the name of whoever suggested them. Old and new members alike are invited to shoot the breeze with us on whatever topics you can be bothered to type out in English because we can't read Japanese (blkmage).

Two rules.

No. 1 - CAA's content descriptors and regulations as outlined in the FAQ/Rules tab are still in effect. Please abstain from suggesting we talk about anything political, cosmological, theologically controversial or obviously inappropriate.

No. 2 - Though generally we're open to all topics besides the few I mentioned briefly just now, please try to limit yourselves to topics you think would be actually interesting to a wide audience. Anything Anime and Christianity are probably safe bets. The economics of the Lao People's Democratic Republic, not so much.

And this thread is go.
Fish and Chips

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:24 pm

.. XDDD

This was probably a given, but perhaps the anime each cast member is currently watching (if the are watching one/what manga each cast member is reading (if they are reading anything). They can tell what it's about and what their likes and dislikes are about the series ^^ Or, whatever of it they've seen so far ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby goldenspines » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:26 pm

(No smoking section, ha! What is your avatar doing? XP)

Something interesting to see would be to give some sneak peeks at new anime. For example, you all watch the first episodes of some new(er) titles of anime and discuss. Most likely, members will suggest titles (within the CAA rules, obviously), or you guys can pick your own. The same idea could work for manga.
Just an idea, though. ^_^;

Otherwise, I'm happy if you guys just talk about recent anime/manga you've read/watched(like Tsuki mentioned, who posts faster than me) and forum happenings (like art contests or something? If any of you actually care about that stuff XD; ).
goldenspines

Postby RidleyofZebes » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:29 pm

Hmm... I'm not sure if y'all have covered the Zombie Apocalypse and relevant survival tactics yet. That would be a nice subject. I know several people personally who could discuss it at great lengths. Well, that's my vote, anyway. :)
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby Peanut » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:35 pm

Your last episode talked about the Olympics, so why not get back into the swing of things by talking about the Winter Olympics and the glorious sport that is Curling (or Monkey Curling...either one...).
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Keep 'em coming folks! Just to note though, we already have some anime discussion and recommendation bits along the lines of what Goldie and Tsuki suggested, so those suggestions are sort of going to be redundant, so we're looking for more specific topics than ongoing segments if-ya-know-what-I-mean.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Nate » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:00 am

You should talk about why come I'm so awesome and all the ladies should totally be making out with me for real.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby GAINAX » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:32 am

I was wondering what each of you guys thought about OVAs/Movies vs. Series, the drawbacks/benefits of each, and if you had a personal preference.

Also, if you guys had a favorite genre of anime, such as Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Present day, Romance, Psychological Thriller, ect.

(Sorry if these have already been discussed, I'm new here and I just now discovered the podcast).
-Formally known as O)m
GAINAX

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:15 am

GAINAX (post: 1375039) wrote:I was wondering what each of you guys thought about OVAs/Movies vs. Series, the drawbacks/benefits of each, and if you had a personal preference.

Also, if you guys had a favorite genre of anime, such as Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Present day, Romance, Psychological Thriller, ect.

(Sorry if these have already been discussed, I'm new here and I just now discovered the podcast).
This.

Is a perfect example of the sort of topics we're fishing for.
Fish and Chips

Postby Sheol777 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:21 am

Tsukuyomi (post: 1374997) wrote:.. XDDD

This was probably a given, but perhaps the anime each cast member is currently watching (if the are watching one/what manga each cast member is reading (if they are reading anything). They can tell what it's about and what their likes and dislikes are about the series ^^ Or, whatever of it they've seen so far ^^

This works for me. I am always searching for new anime to watch.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:25 pm

1.) Which titles belong in your anime canon (titles that you feel that everyone who calls themselves an anime fan should have seen)? Back when I was getting into anime in the 90s, the anime canon was Akira, Ninja Scroll, and Ghost in the Shell. Call me crazy, but I think we can do better.

2.) Say you have an open-minded friend that has never seen anime before but is willing to give it a shot: which title(s) do you show him or her first?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:43 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1375099) wrote:1.) Which titles belong in your anime canon (titles that you feel that everyone who calls themselves an anime fan should have seen)? Back when I was getting into anime in the 90s, the anime canon was Akira, Ninja Scroll, and Ghost in the Shell. Call me crazy, but I think we can do better.

2.) Say you have an open-minded friend that has never seen anime before but is willing to give it a shot: which title(s) do you show him or her first?

I've actually seen lots of these questions flying around here, so this may be a good thing to chuck in with the anime discussion ^__^

Maybe, some talk about the upcoming anime conventions ^^? Maybe, some safety con meet-up tips for those who intend on meeting up with an online friend for the first time at a con ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby blkmage » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:58 pm

What you're watching/reading should definitely be a staple. Especially since it's a great way to highlight things that are awesome but not very popular. Even better if more than one person talks about it and you can really get into the bones of it.

Other less staple topics can include studio/staff/cast discussions (why SHAFT is weird, why Chiaki Kon is terrible, why Norio Wakamoto is glorious), season discussions (why was summer 2009 great, why was fall 2009 terrible, etc.), things you are anticipating (amgamgamg Summer Wars amg), things that are happening on the Internet (like the over 9000 parodies of Renai Circulation on Nico Nico Douga). And if you still need ideas, go and mine for ideas on some of the bigger anime blogs.

Also アニム.
blkmage

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:19 pm

A note of clarification here, we already have a show schedule in the works. Let's watch first episodes, recommendations, what we're following, all of that is already planned to be standard fare for the show. However, again, being a somewhat general interest podcast, we're going to have a suitably large segment of open discussion about anything, Anime or otherwise. This thread is to fill that open airtime with a few unique discussions every episode.

We're asking people for conversation topics, not staple episode content.[quote="blkmage (post: 1375110)"]
Also ア]
[SIZE="7"][color="Red"]~OH DESIRE~[/color][/SIZE]
Fish and Chips

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:44 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]Though I'm only about 40% certain that my suggestion will be met with what can only be described in my book as dry and "witty" sarcasm, I would like to suggest a topic about new technology that's coming out or is rumored to come out.[/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby goldenspines » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:26 pm

blkmage (post: 1375110) wrote: Also く]
Fix'd. :D

Okay, sorry, I misunderstood the first post. ^_^; Subject ideas, then. I echo Peanut who said the Winter Olympics (maybe discuss what sport you guys like the best, or which one you would try if you could, or already have?).
Also, something that might be fun, since this upcoming episode is something of a comeback, I think you should all reintroduce yourselves to the people who have no idea who are. XD (I dunno, stage short interview of yourselves or something?)

Khaki wrote: [color=RoyalBlue]Though I'm only about 40%]

I rather like this idea, just because I'm sure it would be interesting. I'm only worried it would lead them to talking about gaming, which is what the gamecast is for. XD;
goldenspines

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:54 pm

I liked when you gave your opinions on some of the current movie releases that were gaining in popularity. It'd be good to keep that going.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:09 pm

Keep the recommendations coming folks! We used a few of these in the podcastthat we just released, and more will be used as we keep going!

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby GAINAX » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:47 am

A couple more, just because I'm interested.

What do you feel about anime's current trend of outsourcing of animation to Korea and it's resulting effect on the quality? Will this result in lower production costs and save anime or result in killing young talent in Japan?

What are your feelings of anime being published in high definition? Will you buy the higher priced Blu-ray or do you feel there is any change in quality?

Do you still watch anime on cable TV? What are your thoughts on the current situation of American cable TV and anime? Are we doomed to forever watch dubs of old series that have 100+ episode counts?!?

That's all I've got... for now :D
-Formally known as O)m
GAINAX

Postby Sheol777 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:20 am

Since it has been so long perhaps maybe you should all do a sort of introduction of yourselves and talk about how you first became aware of anime.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:03 am

Hey, what about talking about Japanese culture a bit?

I hesitate to open this can of worms but what do you guys prefer: subs or dubs?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:41 am

Sdubs. You let 'em speak in English, but you put the subtitles on.

That way everyone gets a chance! :P ;)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:25 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1375374) wrote:Hey, what about talking about Japanese culture a bit?

I hesitate to open this can of worms but what do you guys prefer: subs or dubs?

Hehe, I was actually thinking of this too, but feared it would be treading on some sort of debate territory.. o.O?

Then again, it is a podcast and everyone has their own preferences, right ^^? Nothing wrong with liking either or even both ^^
Tsukuyomi

Postby goldenspines » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:43 pm

Since the podcast is composed of all dudes, I get the feeling we may never hear much about the shoujo genre.
Though, if it pains you all too much to sneak a couple shoujo series into the discussion every once in a while; if possible, I'd like to hear one show just devoted to shoujo. :D

(though, I was proven wrong by this last episode mentioning Princess Tutu, but still XD)

Also, best dessert(s) and detailed answer why.
goldenspines

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:58 pm

Based on a conversation with someone that both mech and I took part in, how would you give someone an objective view of anime to a friend who saw a series or movie, thinking it was (in most cases) kid-friendly or of one particular genre, then realized to their shock that it was not what they were expecting, and now have a negative view of anime as a whole?
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby blkmage » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:55 pm

[quote="goldenspines (post: 1375449)"]Since the podcast is composed of all dudes, I get the feeling we may never hear much about the shoujo genre.
Though, if it pains you all too much to sneak a couple shoujo series into the discussion every once in a while]

Yeah, it was a good show and I think that's the only notable weakness. Your interests are all centred pretty closely, even if the range of your interests is pretty wide.
blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:36 pm

I'd volunteer to bring more girly things into the mix but I never really watch shoujo and prefer giant robots and manly things. XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:47 pm

To balance out the show we're going to bring on Kung Fu Master and Blkmage next episode and have the Half-Hour Touhou Hour.

Look forward to it!
Fish and Chips

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:14 pm

*Finished beating Ran on PFB*

Whut?
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby blkmage » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:20 pm

I don't even like Touhou that much. Now, slice of life and romance? That I can do.
blkmage

Next

Return to General