good rock or metal

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

good rock or metal

Postby redkorn » Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:27 pm

anyone know any good christian rock or metal also theycan be a christian band on a non-christian label.
ex.
P.O.D.
12 Stones
Blindside

-also-
Pillar
audio adrenline

i need some more bands or music.
redkorn

Postby Stephen » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:53 pm

Well those 3 bands you listed are not really Christian bands....but anyway...try Chevelle, Project 86, Skillet, Justified, um...Evanescence...
Stephen

Postby EliasEmmanuel » Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:46 am

redkorn wrote:anyone know any good christian rock or metal also theycan be a christian band on a non-christian label.

Virgin Black- darn amazing, dark operatic/classical metal.

Ballydowse- Celtic/world music influenced Oi punk with a political edge

Madison Greene- Aggressive folk/acoustic

Those're 3 of my favorites ATM.....

-Elias
EliasEmmanuel

Postby EliasEmmanuel » Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:50 am

Shatterheart wrote:Well those 3 bands you listed are not really Christian bands....but anyway...

Actually to the best of my knowledge they are.....

-Elias
EliasEmmanuel

Postby Tet-chan » Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:32 am

Just wandering
is POD a christian band?
Tet-chan

Postby Straylight » Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:34 am

I'm pretty sure they are...
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Mr. Rogers » Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:42 am

yep those are all christian bands (1st post), cant say for blindside though cause ive never heard them.
Mr. Rogers

Postby Tet-chan » Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:08 am

i was wandering cost those guys have like heaps of tattos on them
Tet-chan

Postby EliasEmmanuel » Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:39 am

Tet-chan wrote:i was wandering cost those guys have like heaps of tattos on them

That doesn't make them non-Christians. :-)

-Elias
EliasEmmanuel

Postby redkorn » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:40 am

Tet-chan wrote:Just wandering
is POD a christian band?

yes just listen to their lyrics in most of there songs.
redkorn

Postby redkorn » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:43 am

alright im going to check out those band ya guys posted and if i like em ill buy some cd's
redkorn

Postby Stephen » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:24 am

"Actually to the best of my knowledge they are....."
Then you are mistaken...while those 3 bands are made up of Christians, if you asked each band member, say is POD a Christian band...they would say no. They consider themselves secular bands made up of Christian members. The reason you see there cds sold in Christian bookstores..is because CCM is such a money whore....that they latch onto anything remotly making money. Heck, when POD started they tryed to get signed to a Christian lable...and were told "your nothing, no talent, sorry better luck next time." I think the multi-million dollar sucess on Atlantic has shown that incorrect. Its not that I hate all Christian music...because there is a good bit I like...but CCM as it stands right now is a giant machine...a money making machine made to take money from Christians. At some point, they indoctrenated everyone to think that if you listen to secular music your going to hell. A smart ploy if you want to rob Christians wallets. Having spent time on Forums of POD, Blindside, Project 86, Chevelle, and even 12 Stones...the bands are quite upfront about there lifestyles...yes we are Christians...but we are in a secular band. Which is why I said what I said. My main issue with most Christian music is the fact that they have zero depth lyricly....now some to prove that wrong....but others....are very childish in there lyrical ability...Skillet is one of the bands that have indepth lyrics....but thats because Cooper is a brilliant man. Also the CCM world is so full of lies and greed, that even the secular music world can see it...read article in Rolling Stone or other secular music mags when they talk about Christian music...the only bands that ever get nice reviews are crossovers. (POD, Blindside, Chevelle, Project 86) Most bands as they get big...see all the problems with CCM and do there best to break apart from it...some do it right...such as the bands you listed...while others do it in a harsh way...such as Evanescence. (labled by some CCMites as Evilescence, mature huh?) Anyway...sorry to rant...but I think if people are gonna watch secular tv....watch secular movies, and live in a secular world...they need to be more open with there music. Now im not saying listen to vulgar stuff...that is not my point at all....I am saying that there is a lot of great music out there...thats not "Christian" persay. Just my 2 cents.
Stephen

Postby glitch1501 » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:34 am

Shatterheart wrote:Well those 3 bands you listed are not really Christian bands....but anyway...try Chevelle, Project 86, Skillet, Justified, um...Evanescence...

just to let you know, evanescence is not a christian band anymore
evanescence article

anyways...

definatly

jonah33,
radial angel,
lucerin blue,
thousand foot krutch
jacks of all trades (they are ok...)
kutless,
38th parallel
dogwood

i probably have a ton more, but those are some of my favorite

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Straylight » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:35 am

Although I don't really want to believe what Steve just said, I'm sad to say that I'm inclined to agree. I have spent a long time reading and posting messages on the board http://www.tastyfresh.com which is a forum for Christians who like dance music. A large number of Christian artists hang around on there.

There was (and still is!) a certain label (N*Soul) that treated a lot of their artists really badly. The secular record industry is a pit of snakes and I'm afraid this "Christian" label took a lot of influence from this.

To add to what Steve just said, it's usually the labels that cause the problem, not the artists. Artists can often start off with pretty good intentions but because the labels are after money, and they get most of it, they do their best to corrupt of the artists and present to them a "rose tinted" future of fame and glory. If you buy a $12 cd, only about 1-2 dollars go to the artist so you can see why this is the case.

This is the main reason why I love the idea of filesharing.. the labels are going to be rinsed dry and the only money left to make will be from live performances. That's the way it should be -- all about the music. And in the case of Christian artists, all about God too :)
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby glitch1501 » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:42 am

i pretty much agree with you there dj, i dont think that the band members of evanescence wanted to leave the christian market, it sounded to me like it was their producer....

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Stephen » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:03 pm

Glitch...i mentioned the Evanescence thing in my post...yes I know they don't want to be called a Christian band anymore...I don't disagree with there decision in the least...they handled it poorly. It was the bands call...because Windup wanted them to stay doing both sides...they made more money. It came as a shock to there lable when they decided to be pulled. They wanted to be clear which side of the fence music wise they were on...and how can people really fault them with that...at least there not like Creed....who play everyone for money...oh were Christians when were in a CCM mag...but over here...we drink and do drugs...by the way...buy our new cd. I like the fact that they were honost with everyone...just did not like how they did it...they should have said what they said before Fallen was released...but everyones gotta make there own decions.
Stephen

Postby EliasEmmanuel » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:55 am

Shatterheart wrote: Then you are mistaken...while those 3 bands are made up of Christians, if you asked each band member, say is POD a Christian band...they would say no. They consider themselves secular bands made up of Christian members.

Okay..... our whole disagreement here is a question of definitions.

I really don't believe in a divide between "secular" and "Christian".... so when people ask about "Christian bands" I tend to define that as bands made up of Christians, rather than bands on a Christian label.

Now im not saying listen to vulgar stuff...that is not my point at all....I am saying that there is a lot of great music out there...thats not "Christian" persay. Just my 2 cents.

Amen.

-Elias
EliasEmmanuel

Postby EliasEmmanuel » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:09 am

Shatterheart wrote:Glitch...i mentioned the Evanescence thing in my post...yes I know they don't want to be called a Christian band anymore...I don't disagree with there decision in the least...they handled it poorly. It was the bands call...because Windup wanted them to stay doing both sides...they made more money. It came as a shock to there lable when they decided to be pulled. They wanted to be clear which side of the fence music wise they were on...and how can people really fault them with that...

I fault them for it, personally, because I've read their interviews in Entertainment Weekly etc. and they almost seemed to be trying to distance themselves not just from CCM but from Christianity. They said they had no idea how anyone ever got the idea they were a Christian band and wondered "what the F___" their music was doing in Christian bookstores (imagine that, since they'd openly said that they WERE in interviews before they were signed). Now I know, as they said, "we never said we weren't Christians"..... but they did carefully avoid saying they were (Amy: "We have our beliefs", Ben "I have a history with Christianity").

The whole deal with Evanescence bothered me immensely, so I may still be a tad bitter..... I first heard of Evanescence probably at least 4 years ago; A guy I knew ran their unofficial website and was forever talking about them. When they "went public" I was REALLY excited, because here was a band made up of believers that was NOT getting signed and popular because they were following the crowd. Suffice to say, much as I like the album, they disappointed me.

-Elias
EliasEmmanuel

Postby Stephen » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:26 pm

I think we are pretty much saying the same thing about music then in general Elias...the reason I see a devide between music...is because of the people that make it I suppose. "evil" music...being anything that does not say Jesus 5 times a song, or have an altar call at the end. (I have a Rackets and Drapes cd that does have that though...which was kinda cool...anyway I digress) As for Evanescence I still stand by my first comment....what they did was not totaly wrong...it was HOW they did it. Rather then start cursing and giving in to anger over the situtation...they could have handled it more respectable...but like I said...we all make our own decisions....I know that many would say bands are held to a higher standard...and maybe some are....but we must remember that they are still human...and they will do very stupid things....even some of the most sincere Christians have fallen...look at Peter...who was very serious in his walk with Christ...yet when put under a little pressure...buckled and denied the Lord not once but 3 times....I don't have a problem with people being upset with what Evanescence did...I have an issue with people tearing them down over it. I was floating around on message boards the night that all went down...and some of the posts were so moronic.
"Amy Lee is evil!"
"Evilescence"
"Evanescence are all going to hell!"
I guess suddenly some scroll was opened and the Church was suddenly given the right to judge the bands spirtual destination...*eye roll* I think when it comes down to it...you can have 2 types of bands. Ministry bands...and job bands. At that point...a lot of Christian music (in my opinion) becomes no different at all then secular.
Stephen

Postby Stephen » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:49 pm

Also want to throw somthing out...if anyone is looking for a Christian rock band that is a ministry...look into Eastwest. I saw them this past summer at a music festival...and I can honostly say that there was more of the presence of the Lord at there show...then most Church services lol. Seriously...the lead singer has a heart for Chirst and for his fans....its hard to explain unless you have seen them live...but give them a chance...check them out at

http://www.powerjams.com

as for bands that sound like them....think Korn, with balad songs every now and then.
Stephen

Postby EliasEmmanuel » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:43 pm

Shatterheart wrote:I think we are pretty much saying the same thing about music then in general Elias...the reason I see a devide between music...is because of the people that make it I suppose. "evil" music...being anything that does not say Jesus 5 times a song, or have an altar call at the end. (I have a Rackets and Drapes cd that does have that though...which was kinda cool...anyway I digress)

well, yeah.... personally, I just think it's a false divide people set up, but we have to work within it sometimes :-p

(woo Rackets..... you mentioned a Summer fest, did you by any chance go to Cornerstone?)

As for Evanescence I still stand by my first comment....what they did was not totaly wrong...it was HOW they did it. Rather then start cursing and giving in to anger over the situtation...they could have handled it more respectable...but like I said...we all make our own decisions....I know that many would say bands are held to a higher standard...and maybe some are....but we must remember that they are still human...and they will do very stupid things....even some of the most sincere Christians have fallen...look at Peter...who was very serious in his walk with Christ...yet when put under a little pressure...buckled and denied the Lord not once but 3 times....I don't have a problem with people being upset with what Evanescence did...I have an issue with people tearing them down over it.

Understood. And I think it's an issue of how they handled it, definitely.... they could have set themselves apart from CCM without alienating all their Christian fans and all but denying being Christians in the process. So yeah, I'm not going to say this condemns them to Hell, but I'm also not going to just brush it off as "they're only human".... what makes Peter's case what it is was the fact that Peter came back.

And I'm sorry, but saying "We have our beliefs, but they have no bearing on our music" when you write songs like Tourniquet and Bring Me To Life is just plain lying. More than anything I just think it's sad and reflects badly on their integrity.

I was floating around on message boards the night that all went down...and some of the posts were so moronic.
"Amy Lee is evil!"
"Evilescence"
"Evanescence are all going to hell!"
I guess suddenly some scroll was opened and the Church was suddenly given the right to judge the bands spirtual destination...*eye roll*

Yeah, well... welcome to Boundary Marker Christianity.

(Also... I have to idlly wonder if this has any bearing at all on Ben leaving the band...)

I think when it comes down to it...you can have 2 types of bands. Ministry bands...and job bands. At that point...a lot of Christian music (in my opinion) becomes no different at all then secular.

Agreed there. We SHOULD be setting ourselves apart by our creativity and integrity, not our unwillingness to take risks and insularity (is that a word?)

-Elias
EliasEmmanuel

Postby righteous_slave » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:20 am

[/QUOTE]Heck, when POD started they tryed to get signed to a Christian lable...and were told "your nothing, no talent, sorry better luck next time." [/QUOTE]

What about the albums on Resuce Records, Brown and Snuff the Punk?

Back on topic, Facedown Records has several excellent Christian hardcore bands to compliment the Blindside fan, Born Blind (more HxC), DIEVersion (metalcore) Demon Hunter (numetal). Christian rapcore (POD, Pillar) seems to have fallen by the wayside, maybe the new POD will restart another wave. (But if not, I won't complain too much :lol: )

If you want to check out new bands search through MP3.com's spriritual metal chart and religious stations. There are a lot of great bands, some you've heard of some you haven't. Just make sure to check out the band itself and make sure they aren't someone you are diametricly opposed to.

As far as the CHristian band/Christians in a band debate, there is a place for both in the world. There is a need not only for outsopken evangalists, but also for believers who show the world (and the church)that you can live a life that shows God from the stage, in the interviews, in the videos, and on the tour bus. Just as many converts come from a life simply lived as from fire breathing preachers. Having said that, some bands (and individuals) seem to take a few steps too many distancing themselves from the image of the church the world has. We walk a razor's edge, but instead of moving away from the negative image the world has of the church, these bands (and the rest of us) should be making the effort to change those negative impressions.

(gets down of soapbox, cranks up some Encryptor)
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby That Dude » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:23 pm

Yeah Blindside is a christian band I'd say...Well their lyrics are very clean and point to Jesus as being their savior. Just listen to their song "Silence." I think that Blindside is very cool and they are also very couraguos because they come from Sweden...Which has a very big hardcore scene and many of those Sweden HC bands are very antichristian...

As for good "christian" rock and hardcore/metal bands, you should check out...

Dead Poetic-great screamo stuff.
Demon Hunter-nice hardcore.
Blindside-Coool stuff
Embodyment-great emo and hardcore....
Project 86-more good stuff.
Rackets and Drapes- imagine Marilyn Manson with Christ centered lyrics.
Norma Jean-Brutal hardcore with surprisingly Christ-centered lyrics (at least from what I can make out)

Well there's a few good bands that are worth checking out.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby redkorn » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:53 pm

ya blindside is my fav band so far i have 2 of 3 of there cd's i like
skillet
project 86
demon hunter
norma jean

also anyone heard of cinder there cd isnt out yet but they have a song called soul creation it pretty good, but i dont think they are christians.
redkorn

Postby Stephen » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:02 pm

"you mentioned a Summer fest, did you by any chance go to Cornerstone?"

I wish! No I went to Inside Out Soul Fest in Loon Mt. New Hampshire...a nice festival...but nothing compared to Cornerstone.
Stephen

Postby EliasEmmanuel » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:08 pm

[quote="ShatterheartI wish! No I went to Inside Out Soul Fest in Loon Mt. New Hampshire...a nice festival...but nothing compared to Cornerstone.[/QUOTE"]

Ah, but nothing DOES compare to Cornerstone ;-)

Okay, I'm done making you feel bad, LOL..... seriously, if you EVER get the chance, jump on it.

-Elias
EliasEmmanuel

Postby redkorn » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:02 pm

my old church i use to go to was called Conerstone evangelion free church.
currently i am going to Christian Missionary Alliance church.
redkorn

Postby Stephen » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:16 pm

I hope some day I get a chance to hit Cornerstone...this coming year there gonna have POD, Project 86 and Blindside.
Stephen

Return to Jam Session