KISS - L'Arc~en~ciel New Album Review!

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

KISS - L'Arc~en~ciel New Album Review!

Postby yukoxholic » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:13 pm

Since there isn't a J-Rock/Pop or international music folder I am just going to post in the Jam Session folder! A few people have asked me for a review of the new L'Arc~en~ciel album and as promised here it is! I wanted to make this public for anyone who is interested in this band or is intending to buy this album...so hopefully I am not breaking any kind of 'review' rules or anything :/

Ok! I received my copy of L'Arc~en~ciel's new album: Kiss and I just have to say I don't believe it's possible for these guys to screw up musically on new albums or future projects or like ever IMHO. They just keep getting better with age and dare I say younger?! It's completely masterful from start to finish. Between the sweeping vocals ala Hyde-style (not to mention the boys loverlies backup vocals) with accompaniment from killer electric guitar riffs, smashing drum rolls, and beautiful instrumental interludes... who wouldn't love this album? The track listing is as follows:

01. Seventh Heaven
02. Pretty Girl
03. My Heart Draws A Dream
04. Sunadokei
05. Spiral
06. Alone En La Vida
07. Daybreak's Bell
08. Umibe
09. The Black Rose
10. Link-Kiss Mix
11. Yuki no Ashiato
12. Hurry Xmas

Top picks on the album which are in constant rotation in my car CD player as well as MP3 player would be My Heart Draws A Dream, Link -Kiss Mix-, Yuki no Ashiato, Daybreaks Bell, Hurry XMas though to classify any of the songs as a favorite is nearly impossible they're all that good! To start off...

Seventh Heaven: A very catchy upbeat song, certainly one of the many you'll find yourself coming back to on this album.

Pretty Girl: This song certainly showcases Ken's talent on guitar. He plays a mean strat! It's catchy and has a clever hook.

My Heart Draws A Dream: Exceptionally sweet the lyrics are lighter than air and sung beautifully in that tried and true HYDE manner :)

Sunadokei: Very pretty! Tetsu knows his stuff! It starts out soft and flowing and than transitions into a rock ballad. Love it! Love it! Love it!

Spiral: YUKI! I LOVE YOU! /end fangirlyness We finally know who he is and this is the song that showcases his mad talent! DO NOT SKIP THIS SONG!

Alone En La Vida: This is a slow song and it is so beautiful! Spanish guitar, piano, it's melodic and simply gorgeous!

Daybreak's Bell: It soared to #1 on the Japanese charts after it's release. Some may already know this song from the new Gundam Series. I LOVE it! Daybreak's Bell is a song you'll have stuck in your head for days and you won't even mind it!

Umibe: Ok, this song reminds me of Angel's Tale from Hyde's solo album, no clue why just does lyrically. The lyrics are wonderful and so sappy you'll be blowing your nose with a pancake :D

The Black Rose: Soooo...L'arc. It's epic. All the guys rock out on this song.

Link-Kiss Mix: Ahhh... strings finally! Super catchy, great hooks, and upbeat lyrics! The lines "I can't stop searching for your smile, our memories will link us" are stunning and so sweet! I am swooning just typing them out!

Yuki no Ashiato: This song is a work of art, such beauty! I can't explain it! I am at a loss for words! This is why Hyde is the lead vocalist because he rocks in all sense of the word.

Hurry Xmas: Super Kawaii! You'll be listening to this song even though it's after Christmas ^__^

I didn't find anything too objectionable on this album one rough translation in the song Seventh Heaven made a reference to "making love" but not in the sense that most people here (in the states) mean. It was intending that we "make love in this world to one another" as in love your brother, sister, mother, everyone! Peace, love, it all goes hand and hand!

The song "Pretty Girl" when translated is talking about relationships and how sometimes those in them do not speak but umm..."act" on their emotions but I mean it's in Japanese so unlike when you are hearing these things in English songs it's not so abrasive, not to say that my morals don't condone this kind of thing but I mean it's really up to how you perceive non-English language songs :)

There is also one curse word in the song: The Black Rose but it is said in Japanese so if I don't tell you what word it is in English or Japanese you can just pretend you didn't hear this from me >.> -whistle-

There is definitely something any new or old L"arc~en~ciel fan can appreciate and love on this album. This is a must buy for any hardcore L'Arc~en~ciel fan. I find this album reminiscent of SMILE and Awake. It's certainly one you don't want to miss out on! ^__^

I should have translations of each song soon I have most of them done but depending on who/how many read this thread just PM for them!
yukoxholic

Return to Jam Session