Tithes Question

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

Tithes Question

Postby peachypan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:45 am

I hope I put this in the right board.

My husband and I are not currently members of a church and we hadn't been giving our tithes :( but we want to. I know God tells up to give our 10%. Who do we give to?There's no one specific television or internet ministry we are involved in. There is a Christian based business training that I have been plugging into that has been bring people to the Lord. I have also been coming here more to be around other Christians....and my mother has been a BIG help to us by watching our son when we're at work.

So many choices @_@ ...who would God want me to give to? I have asked Him and am waiting for an answer...I also want my husband and I to be on one accord on this issue.

Thanks everyone!
peachypan

Postby Arnobius » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:55 am

Well, if you feel called to make a tithe, and do not have a church you can go to, have you considered donating to some sort of Christian mission, to help the Lord's work?

Or perhaps donate to further Christian education in a poor community?

I understand there are numerous Christian charities around as well.

Perhaps one of these can serve your need for tithing?
Arnobius

Postby Syreth » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:56 pm

I would say you're on the right track with seeking the Lord. I'm sure He'll guide you to where He wants you to give.

I've heard good things about Gospel for Asia, if you're interested in looking into them. http://www.gfa.org/gfa/
Syreth

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:48 pm

If it's at all possible, I'd suggest finding a local church you can tolerate. Most spirirtual transformation occures in small group gatherings based out of a local church. You may find it helpful to look outside your "comfort zone." Many times I've experienced things that were not what I was used to, and it makes me feel a lot less "angsty" about the stuff I didn't like my church doing. Good luck!

- Mith
Mithrandir

Postby Shadowchild » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:52 pm

Is that what Tithe is? I thought you were talking about the book "Tithe" by Holly Black. My bad! ^-^' Carry on then...
[color=indigo]ADOPTED BY:Nami, CephasVII, spectroking, Starfire1
ADOPTED: teen4truth, spirit-me-away, ky kiske, Sage_AlKahira, dragon's bane, phinny5608, mastersquirrel, LeaChan-4ever, Dytae, Tom Dincht, Jack Bond, Mega, meg, Celestra, JadeFox
PET AND GRANDDAUGHTER OF: Banana-chan
SISTER OF: girl ninja, Starfire1, and rusty789, Batosai [/color]

I'm looking for someone to quench my thirst - for all eternity.
Shadowchild

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:52 am

I understand your confusion. When I tithe at my church, I indicate it as such on the given space on the envelope. It's the church that then decides how that money is going to be used for the Lord's service.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby USSRGirl » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:01 pm

A word of caution Peachypan. When looking for TV ministries and such make sure you know where the money is going. Such scams like Christian Children's Fund have been exposed for fraud, and not a penny actually goes to the kids. Some ministries may be corrupt too. (Ok...was that paranoid enough for you?) Just make sure it's mainstream. Or preferably someone that you know in person. You could always go down to your local homeless shelter or children's hospital and donate there. Or perhaps find a church that's doing a gospel mission and needs a hand. If you have a lot of choices, perhaps spiltting up your donation would be a good idea?

A quick theological note on tithing (please don't hurt me!! :: Hides from mods :: ): Tithing is a great way to serve the Lord and I'm really glad you do it. With so many problems in the world today, we certainly need it. However, tithing is not "required." It is never once mentioned at all in the NT (look it up if you don't believe me) and falls under the Old Testament Law. Through Jesus Christ the gap between us and God was bridged, and we are no longer expected to live strictly under the law of Moses (if we did that would mean sacrificing barnyard animals as well). God does ask us to do His will however, wherever, and whenever possible. Giving up 10% (or more if you can...less if you can't) of your income is a great way to do this. All I'm saying is that my eye starts twitching irritably when people talk about tithing like it's a required commandment. :drool:
USSRGirl

Postby Cuddles da Bear » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:40 pm

USSRGirl: Are you serious? :o I had recently signed up with Christian's Children Fund but coincidentally my financial situation has become pretty bad so I wasn't able to donate anything yet.

If they are operating under fraudulent means then I would be very distrught. :(
Cuddles da Bear

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:01 pm

Cuddles da Bear wrote:USSRGirl: Are you serious? :o I had recently signed up with Christian's Children Fund but coincidentally my financial situation has become pretty bad so I wasn't able to donate anything yet.

If they are operating under fraudulent means then I would be very distrught. :(

I remember talking about somethign along those lines and I remember hearing someone say "Even though it didn't get to the right place, God knows that you had good intentions for it". Although... yeah it would be nice to know that you are helping people instead of it going towards, who knows what :/
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Cuddles da Bear » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:17 pm

Ohh, and I was so looking forward to developing a relationship with 'my child'. I'll look into the Christian Children's Fund some more before I make my final decision if to cancel my membership or not. If this is true then it's a sad state of affairs that they have attached the word 'Christian' to their organization's name.

I also remember reading that although they provide food, shelter and clothes to the children they don't teach the children the Gospel and they encouraged the members not to push their religion on the children either. I can understand why they wouldn't want to do this but in a way it's kinda defeating the point...
Cuddles da Bear

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth