The Passion Of The Christ

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:20 pm

LOL Ash what ar
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Ashley » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:23 pm

Off topic:
LOL Ash what are you doing in Maine?

Let's just say we're having a staff meeting in person. ;)
Ashley

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:29 pm

:( oh... so you're
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Ashley » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:48 pm

We worked out something with Cinemark somehow--we got some huge group deal where for like, 12 dollars, people get a seat, popcorn and a drink. I'm not sure how they did it, but I think we just reserved all the tickets for an entire showing as a huge group.
Ashley

Postby Yamato145 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:52 pm

last night i found out that my church bought out 2 showings at a cinemark too. I am definetly going!
The loving, caring, and slightly bad-influencing father of 1balloonpopper and khakibluesocks!!!
Also I'm not sure how -_-' but somehow I am the Master and Father of Spectro-King according to his signature ... but hey I'm up for having a minion ... so jump stupid ... I'll have him keeeeel you
:evil: Evil child of Fantasy Dreamer and Dark Disturbed Grandchild of Cephas VII
On a quest to adopt Cephas
:dance: WACKY BANANA!!! :rock: ROCKER!!! :hug: glomp of DOOM!!!
Ive noticed something interesting, when a place is really amazing people say it must be seen to believed ... but the most amazing place ever must be believed to be seen.
kenshin: W_^Vx
Yamato145

Postby Omega Amen » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:07 pm

In Georgia Tech's food court, we have these TVs permanently turned on to MTVU (think of it as MTV for universities and colleges). Today, I was eating lunch there, and I looked up at one of the TVs, and I saw for the first time a commercial for The Passion of the Christ.

Maybe I should not have been surprised, but I was. I was also encouraged and impressed. Furthermore, I considered it evidence of the hard work and determination of Mel Gibson has put forth on this film. For some reason, I never expected a commercial for this film being placed on an MTV network. (Of course, I do not watch MTV or much TV in general, so maybe this is really old news here.)

Also, for those who have not seen my previous post in this thread, tonight, there is a Mel Gibson interview about this film on ABC's Primetime with Diane Sawyer at 10:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Considering how many people have participated in this thread, I thought some members might be interested in this interview.

That is all I wanted to share for now.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby Fsiphskilm » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:10 pm

I think people are mak
Fsiphskilm

Postby brantelg » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:58 pm

Amen
brantelg

Postby madphilb » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:17 pm

Anyone see the Gibson interview on ABC last night (Monday)?

I think if what I'm seeing of Gibson I have a new respect for him... I'm surprised at ABCs handling of this, they could have raked him over the coals with this, and I thought they did a fairly ballanced job at looking at things... not bad for "secular TV."
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Ashley » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:09 pm

Yes, I saw it...and I have just the opposite view. I had a great dislike for primetime analysts before, but I cannot stand Diane Sawyer anymore. She was clearly out to get Mel to say something to her advantage and...as well in the journalism field call it..."wanted to create the news not report it". It really ticks me off when journalists try to create this biased story and keep chasing it until they get it instead of asking fair, relevant questions and letting the audience make up their own minds. However, I really have a new respect for Gibson. His answers seemed pretty solid and it doesn't sound to me anymore like he's doing it for a paycheck.

Anyway, the point: Mel Gibson good, Diane Sawyers evil.
Ashley

Postby Omega Amen » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:13 pm

After seeing the interview, I must say that Diane Sawyer was not that hard or really unfair. Biased probably, but after searching "The Passion of the Christ," on news.google.com, what Sawyer put Gibson through was relatively mild. Please understand, I saw this as an opportunity for Gibson to defend himself. So when I heard Diane Sawyer asked, "Are you an anti-semite?" I took that as giving Gibson a chance to defend himself on national TV.

However, I am not going to defend Sawyer after she was pressing (she asked multiple times in a row) with questions trying to link Gibson's father's views with Gibson himself. As I continue to participate in these forums, you will notice that I am extremely protective of my parents since I consider them my heroes. As a son, I really dislike the idea of someone trying to smear me through my father... to put it mildly. Sawyer, or any other journalist, had no legitimate reason or right to go there. Gibson seems to have a very physical and emotional personality. The fact he was able to keep his cool in that line of questioning is commendable. I consider myself to be a little cold-hearted, yet I knew if I was in that position I probably would have lost my cool.

Considering that Gibson completely financed the making of this film all by himself ($25 million of his money), that he persevered through the controversy and heat for about a year (when he could have easily stopped and actually make money doing some other film), and that he personally asked Christians and Jews for support... Gibson has shown a lot about his character.

I look forward to what people have to say here after seeing the film.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby firestorm » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:15 pm

Ruroken wrote:I really dont wanna see it after i heard that the scene where the Jews were shouting to curcify Jesus was CUT. Who else knows of this?I heard it on the radio froma very reliable source. It's to bad Mel GIbson gave in, but then again he's roman catholic and not a Christian.

Forgive me if this offends you, but you know how biased that just sounded? I mean he never said he worshipped the saints right? I'm not saying that I know about them or anything, but he doesn't have to worship the saints in order to be roman catholic right? I believe as long as you believe that Jesus christ is your lord and savior your alright.
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby andyroo » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:45 pm

off-topic:firestorm, technically we are all biased. It is just what type of bias we hold. Maybe you were meaning more of an unfair bias.

To stay on topic... I will be seeing this movie, not too shure if in theatres though. I didn't see Omega Amen's post about the ABC interview yesterday, so I didn't get to see it.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby firestorm » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:56 am

andyroo wrote:off-topic:firestorm, technically we are all biased. It is just what type of bias we hold. Maybe you were meaning more of an unfair bias.

To stay on topic... I will be seeing this movie, not too shure if in theatres though. I didn't see Omega Amen's post about the ABC interview yesterday, so I didn't get to see it.

off topic: that's kinda what i meant thanks andy

on topic: My church rented out a whole theater to watch it, so yeah I'm going. I did see the interview yesterday. Mel did a good job.
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby madphilb » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:15 pm

Ashley wrote:Anyway, the point: Mel Gibson good, Diane Sawyers evil.

:lol: You go girl!

I agree with your assessment with "news" shows these days, and yes they did seem to be trying to "get" Gibson with some of the comments/questions.... however they could have stacked their "panel of experts" better if they really wanted to tear him apart, instead I found those people be as ballanced as anything... frankly I've seen much, much worse.

I think I've always liked Mel Gibson.... seems like a really nice guy for the most part (though I'd bet you wouldn't want to get on his wrong side)... and how can you not like a guy who would retract a statement about gutting a guys dog! ;)
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Ashley » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:28 pm

Off topic: yeah, I've always had a small thing for Mel Gibson. Small because it's no where near my affection for Harrison Ford movies. ;)

Rant: whether she could have torn him apart more or not, I don't care. Diane Sawyer was still rather vomitiously biased. Her interview makes me ashamed to say I'm even remotely connected with journalism. Reporters these days...they make me sick.

On topic: whether I will see this movie in theaters, I'm not sure yet. I may end up seeing it eventually...just not sure when or where yet.
Ashley

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:59 pm

[quote="Ashley"]Her interview m
Fsiphskilm

Postby SManBeyond » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:53 pm

Ashley wrote: Diane Sawyer was still rather vomitiously biased. Her interview makes me ashamed to say I'm even remotely connected with journalism. Reporters these days...they make me sick.

There will always be bad reporters and journalists and there will always be good ones. Running away from the field just because it seems biased isn't the answer. Getting involved in that field and living out Christ is.

I personally would love to see more Christian ones out there, making a difference and changing the culture...
"Love means to love that which is unlovable; or it is no virtue at all." G. K. Chesterton

Founder of S.T.R.A.W.B.E.R.R.Y. R.H.U.B.A.R.B. P.I.E.

[url=smanbeyond.blogspot.com]My Blog[/url]
SManBeyond

Postby Ashley » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:51 pm

I'm not running away from the field--I happen to be going into advertising and media relations. And yeah, I plan on making a difference for Christ through it. I just meant that she is such a bad example of journalism to me I'm ashamed she's in the same field as I am. (and by that, I mean journalism in the sense I've been involved with the high school paper for 3 years now)
Ashley

Postby The Grammarian » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:41 pm

Are you going into print journalism, or television journalism, Ashley?
To all, life thou givest, to both great and small.
In all life, thou livest, the true life of all.
We blossom and flourish as leaves on a tree
And wither and perish, but naught changeth thee.

--Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise

Texan by birth, Yankee by accident of location.
The Grammarian

Postby true_noir_chloe » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:46 pm

Wow, there are so many debates here. :eyeroll: I just need to say that I'm impressed that God put this on Mr. Gibson's heart to make. I will truly enjoy renting it when it's released.

As always, I appreciated cbwing's wise rhetoric and use of scripture.:) Wow, some young, mature Christian woman needs to snatch him up.:lol: ;) Did I just write that for all to see?:sweat:

Anyhoos, onto my two cents toward, "The Passion."

I may be renting the DVD, only because I cry just reading the account of what happened on the cross and know that if I actually see it, I won't be able to stop sobbing. What He did for us was such a tremendous sacrifice, by paying with such a horrible death. People don't realize, unless they really study martyrdom and the way people were tortured and murdered in the societies of the past for crimes, how many sadistic ways man thought up to kill people. Today's death row prisoners actually have it easy.

I read earlier that someone was taking a ten-year-old to see the movie. Please, don't think that because it's about Christ the blood and gore is all right. I'm just now beginning to explain the truth of what happened at the cross with my kids, and they're 12 and 14.

It's rated R for a very good reason and unless you can really stomach what happened I would suggest you wait to take the kiddies. My daughter and I want to see it because we know it will be fantastic; but, we're not up to death scene yet. We will see how our hearts feel about it later.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:09 pm

If you cry the whole time in the theater, you won't be alone... My Brother was in the showing at the Christian university nextdoor (and he even showed up in the Dianne Sawyer interview in a shot from the Q&A at the University) and he said just about everyone cried from at least the halfway point until the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Hitokiri » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:51 pm

im looking foward to this movie alot. Our guys bible study is going to see it after it comes out. At the movie theators near to my house, our local Christian music station rented out a theator and you can get in free if you bring a unsaved friend :thumb: . I dont think im doing that cause ill busy during that.

One of my friends thinks it will be horrible cause 1) he doesn't like ol' Mel (im a long-time fan of the actor myself :thumb: ) and 2) he's extrmemely, extrememly, extremely anti-catholic so he thinks it's going to be all messed up and wrong.

He said i'm "betraying Chrsitianity" to wantitng to see it and I said "I can't pass judgement on something I havn't seen. I will make my decision after the movie."

Funny thing is at our lunch table, it's a atble full of Chrisitains EXCEPT for one guy whoose extrmeley, extrmely, extremely left wing Liberal. One of the kids whoose a strong Christian is taking this kid ot go see it, that will be intresting.
Hitokiri

Postby Fsiphskilm » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:11 pm

[quote="Hitokiri"]One of
Fsiphskilm

Postby Technomancer » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:20 pm

The media coverage of the movie isn't all bad by the way, there was a fairly lengthy article in the Spec today on the film, which gave a fair bit of space for the actors to rebut claims about the film being anti-Semitic (this included the Jewish actress who's playing Mary). Most of the article though focused on Caviezel's physical ordeals during the making of the movie.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Hitokiri » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:56 pm

he just doesn't like Catholic doctrine at all...I don't either. He says he won't see it cause it's from a "stupid catholic" viewpoint which is doomed to die from the starting and that he knows the story, he knows what happened, why does he need a "stupid catholic" telling me how it went.

BTW, i think it's funny cause he's a big anime fan yet he's so close-minded in that religious sense :^/

as for im fairly tolerant of other religions. At least they have a religion to follow. I don't belive in what they belive but I'm not going to be like some "any thing non-christian is evil" person who condems anyone who isn't a Christian.

Anyways, I'm exicted bout this movie and hopefully I can get my friend to go. I think this film will impact alot of people and possibly save some others. Though I was at the theators watching LOTR: ROTK with some YG friends and on th epreivews was The Passion. Some kid stood up an booed and said some explicative bout Christ and God and Chrsitianity and grrrr........I was seriously thinking of going up thier and beating the kid up then i thought WWJD so yeah....and the person next to me was restraining me :lol:
Hitokiri

Postby cbwing0 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:00 pm

[quote="true_noir_chloe"]As always, I appreciated cbwing's wise rhetoric and use of scripture.:) Wow, some young, mature Christian woman needs to snatch him up.:lol: ]
And that's how you know I haven't been paying attention to this thread for the last 20 or so posts...I didn't see this until now. :sweat:

Anyway, I completely agree. :lol:
cbwing0

Postby Savior_Sora » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:06 pm

I have a chance to see the movie!! People from my church are gonna go see it and we're gonna get people together to see it I guess. I'm definately gonna see it. I wanna see what all the fuss is about!!
-"How do we prove we exist...maybe we don't exist."

-"I feel sorry for the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac...they stay up all night wondering if there is a dog."

-"It's not the fall that kills you...It's the sudden stop at the end."

Savior_Sora

Postby Ashley » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:18 pm

Are you going into print journalism, or television journalism, Ashley?

Sorry, I'm just now getting around to replying to this. I'm a little undecided, actually...after working with layout and design for a few years now, I tend to have an affinity for that (I love making dummy pages) and print advertising isn't so racy as television tends to be...although it can be, don't get me wrong. If I go the print route I want to work for a magazine as the layout artist/director.

If I go television, I want to help in the writing/cinematography of it.

Or I could just work in an advertising firm and do a little of both. ^^ Anyway, sorry, back on topic guys...:sweat:

I think Mel said it best when he said that the violence is in there to show the reality and the enormity of his sacrifice. He wanted to shock the audience and make them realize how much Christ endured for our sake. "And if you don't like it, don't go see it."
Ashley

Postby Gypsy » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:55 pm

My head has been in the clouds for a while - has the film been released to theaters?
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment