Theater

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Theater

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:07 am

Who enjoys a good play? Some of my favorites are, respectively, Into the Woods, Phantom of the Opera, and Les Miserables.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby shooraijin » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:45 am

*waves* Me!

I've always been a Neil Simon fan, myself.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Technomancer » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:50 am

It's rare that I can see one unfortunately. Although, since my brother's graduating from the theatre program at York, I'll have to go see his work (he's usually in charge of lighting design).

Anyways, Shakespeare is always good although his best would be "Hamlet", "King Lear" and "MacBeth". Along the same lines, "Guildenstern and Rosencrantz are Dead" is a must see as well. "Long Day's Journey into Night" is pretty good too, although it has nothing to do with Shakespeare.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby shooraijin » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:04 pm

Oooh, Tom Stoppard. I like him too.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:24 pm

Hmm... I've seen Little Shop of Horrors, A Streetcar Named Desire, Assassins, and I was a munchkin in the local highschool's production of The Wiz when I was little.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby cbwing0 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:11 pm

I like plays, although I don't really make an effort to go see them. I have seen "The Cherry Orchard" (Anton Chekov), and several high school productions of famous plays. Do musicals count?
cbwing0

Postby Michael » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:33 pm

Much Ado about Nothing and Twelfth Night are two of my favorites.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby shooraijin » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:42 pm

> Do musicals count?

Naturally!

shooraijin

Postby cbwing0 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:44 pm

Great!

In that case, I've also seen Bye Bye Birdie, Guys and Dolls, Grease, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (three times), and Annie (twice).
cbwing0

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:58 am

I was in the play "Much Ado About Nothing" in high school. I was Leonato, the father of Hero (I had to color my hair grey...). I love plays and musicals!
My favorite musicals are, yes Gypsy, Les Miserables, and a play called Ragtime. I haven't met a lot of people who know what this is, but it is a fantastic musical. There are way too many greats :dizzy: to list though.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Spencer » Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:24 pm

**** Yankees, anyone?

EDIT: Oy, sorry. Didn't mean that as a bad word, but that's the name of the play. .__.
:)
Spencer

Postby EireWolf » Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:32 pm

hehe. Those darn Yankees... :grin:

I like a good play. Sadly, I haven't been able to see very many. I did see Phantom of the Opera, and liked it. I'd like to see Les Miserables, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and CATS, if I ever get the chance.

The Lambs Players in San Diego put on a wonderful play of "Til We Have Faces," and adaptation from the book by C.S. Lewis. I also saw them do "The Secret Garden," which was also quite good.

Does a "Cirque de Soleil" show count as a play? I've seen two of their shows, very impressive! I saw Varekai and Allegria. I liked Varekai better; the costumes were more visually stunning and colorful, and there was more "story" to it. The acrobatics were very cool in both shows. If you ever get a chance to see it, do.

Oh, and how could I forget Riverdance? That is my all time favorite. *sigh* I love it.

I wish I could go to the theater more often!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby Icarus » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:36 am

I haven't been to too many plays, just three that I recall. Charlie's Aunt is hilarious. The university theater department did it last year, and I was laughing almost all the way through.

Proof, on the other hand, I enjoyed, but wouldn't reccommend here.

The other one was a high school production of The Christmas Carol.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:53 pm

[b][align=cente
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Zilch » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:34 am

Into The Woods rocks!...(thank you so much for turning me into a geek, Gypsy)...
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby Shinja » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:18 am

i like plays, ive seen several shaksphear plays out under the stars back home. and joseph and the amazing techincolor dreamcoat, though that one was indoors, i think prefer the outdoors shows better.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Return to General Entertainment