Worst live-action adaptions

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Maledicte » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:34 pm

bigsleepj (post: 1469752) wrote:Another worst live-action adaptation of a video game I would like to add is this:

"Bobomb!"
"MONKEY!"
Maledicte

Postby Wallachia » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:49 pm

What are you talking about? The Super Marios Bros movie is one of the best of the worst movie adaptions ever.

Wallachia

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Chiming in a bit late on the subject of an American Akira movie, wouldn't the title character then have to have an American name? Of course, that's no good, 'cause who's gonna want to go see a movie called "Jeff" or "Norman" or "Steve"?
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Wolf-man » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Wolf-man

Postby MomentOfInertia » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:32 pm

Wallachia (post: 1469790) wrote:What are you talking about? The Super Marios Bros movie is one of the best of the worst movie adaptions ever.

Seconded.

Wolf-man (post: 1469871) wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI
This is the American Akira.

*click* :eyebrow: -> :eyeroll: -> :grin:
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:39 pm

Wallachia (post: 1469790) wrote:What are you talking about? The Super Marios Bros movie is one of the best of the worst movie adaptions ever.

Well, I suppose, to each his own. I can't think of it without wincing, making it just too bad for me.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Yamamaya » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:32 pm

I don't really see the point in live action animu adaptations. Isn't the medium part of the reason so many fans like it?

Not to mention that some plots would not translate well to screen at all aka quite a few T.V. series. Some movies might be okay. I could see a Ghost in a Shell one being okay.
Yamamaya

Postby ashfire » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:24 pm

What about what would make a great live action movie?
I would have thought Gunsmith Cats would be.
ashfire

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:13 am

I'll probably think of more later, but the main one that's coming to mind is the live-action Lovely Complex movie >_< It...just works a lot better as an anime. The stylishness of animation explains away some things, and accepting those things as exaggeration makes the story much more enjoyable. Also, some of the acting was over the top, and...I don't know whether to laugh or cringe at the Engrish narration :drool:

Oh, and this awful movie of The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks, which probably no one else here has read (but I love). For starters, the book is set in England, but of course the movie is in America :eyeroll: Then Omri (main character) is supposed to be...oh, fifth or sixth grade. But it's obvious from the scenes in school, and just the way he looks, that this kid is actually in first grade. And then of course the boy they got to play the main character, who's supposed to carry a large portion of the story, can't act to save his life. WHICH WOULD PROBABLY BE MORE EASILY AVOIDED IF THEY MADE OMRI OLDER!!!!!! :bang: At least Little Bear and Boone were acted well (I think they got an actual Native American, which is good, though I don't know if he was actually Iroquois), and the movie magic actually makes them look like they're tiny people.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Nami » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:09 am

Woow, The Indian in the Cupboard is a really old movie. XDD I didn't even know it was a book. But hey! I loved that movie when I was younger! D: XDD
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby Atria35 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:11 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1470071) wrote:Oh, and this awful movie of The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks, which probably no one else here has read (but I love).

I totally read and loved that when I was a kid! And I saw the movie! But I was a lot younger when I saw the movie (like.... 7 or 8), so I didn't notice all those things. I just thought it was way too cool that they made the people so small.
Atria35

Postby Chrysolite » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:28 pm

" wrote:I'll probably think of more later, but the main one that's coming to mind is the live-action Lovely Complex movie >_<

^^' Yes, I know what you mean, but I can't help having a bit of affection for the movie because I owe my discovery of the anime to that colorful, over-the-top puff piece. My sister brought it home from the library one day and my mom fell in love with it (Teppei Kioke started her fetish for Asian actors XP). I didn't like it nearly as much as she did, but it did make me curious about the anime, and thus I started down the path to one of my all-time favorite animes. But yeah, when you compare the movie to the anime, there's... well... really no comparison. :P But when you have no basis for comparison, it's actually a kinda cute movie. That's how it all got started for me, anyway. ^-^
" wrote:Oh, and this awful movie of The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks, which probably no one else here has read

Don't be so sure. ;) I read that book when I was little, and I wrote a book report on it for my mom that I still have stashed away somewhere. :grin: I can't say I remember the book or the movie too well, but... are we thinking of the same movie? I remember the movie being decent, and I certainly don't remember Omri being in first grade. :eh: Maybe it's been that long, after all. :dizzy:
[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color]

Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise—
why destroy yourself?

Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool—
why die before your time?

It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other.
The man who fears God will avoid all extremes.

—Ecclesiastes 7:16-18
Chrysolite

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:33 am

Nami (post: 1470081) wrote:Woow, The Indian in the Cupboard is a really old movie. XDD I didn't even know it was a book. But hey! I loved that movie when I was younger! D: XDD

Then you should read the book! :lol:

Chrysolite (post: 1470198) wrote:But yeah, when you compare the movie to the anime, there's... well... really no comparison. :P But when you have no basis for comparison, it's actually a kinda cute movie. That's how it all got started for me, anyway. ^-^

To be sure, I'd probably like it a lot more if I hadn't seen the anime XD Some things were just a bit...too much for me to really enjoy, though. Like the teacher with his wig, or the repeated nosebleeds. Even if those things were like that in the anime, it would have worked a lot better.

Don't be so sure. ]or [/I]the movie too well, but... are we thinking of the same movie? I remember the movie being decent, and I certainly don't remember Omri being in first grade. :eh: Maybe it's been that long, after all. :dizzy:

Well, was it this movie? It specifically says there that it's Omri's ninth birthday, so...maybe not first grade, but still a lot younger than I think he's supposed to be in the books (since they span about three years and in The Mystery of the Cupboard I seem to remember it saying he's in his last year before high school. Eh, I prefer my imagination to the movie, but they did do a great job with the little people.

Oooh! Here's another one! Mandie and the Secret Tunnel XD Granted, the original book series isn't amazing or anything, and Mandie is a blatant Mary Sue if you think about it, but still. It's low budget, so you can't ask for everything, but the acting sucks, they didn't explain some important plot points very well, and the camera is just weird. Part of my childhood obsession died when I watched that movie :P
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:40 am

There's a version of Les Mis starring Liam Neeson in which they cut out a bunch of characters and merged a few others. Bah!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:13 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1471988) wrote:There's a version of Les Mis starring Liam Neeson in which they cut out a bunch of characters and merged a few others. Bah!

I remember liking that one (never read the book though), but condensing isn't so bad when the book could make a 6 hour movie, right? That is, if they condense in a way that keeps the meaning of the story and what not.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:50 pm

Euh...it really only keeps the story of Valjean and Javert. The book has quite a bit more going on than just that. I'm of the opinion that if it can't be compressed into two hours without losing anything, it probably shouldn't be made into a two-hour film @_@
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:18 pm

I"m gonna go with Hamlet with Mel Gibson. Yeah. They took his obession with his mother's bedroom activities and turned it into actual incest. Yuck!
Atria35

Postby fermy6 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:13 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1469452) wrote:Pretty much every live-action adaptation that I've seen has sucked.

That Dragonball thing was probably one of the worst offenders.

I agree 110% with you on that
If someone said 3 years from now
You'd be long gone
Id get up and punch their mouth
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby Rocketshipper » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:22 pm

I'd have to say...probably that Wing Commander movie. And I never even played the games, lol (except a little bit of part 3) but that movie was just BORING!!! And of course there is Uwe Boll's movies, full stop.

For books...Most Stephen King adaptions don;t live up to expectations. I really didn't like Kubrick's "the Shining" for a long time. These days I can appreciate it more (especially since I took a class on Kubrick) but the book is just 1000 times better.

I actually enjoyed Dragonball Evolution a lot. It got me into reading the original manga and watching the anime. I really think it gets more flak than it deserves.

To chime in on the whole Akira topic...is doing a version of Akira or Death Note with american actors really any different than, say, doing the remake of "Ringu" with american actors??? I ask because I don't ever remember "they didn't use foreign actors" being a complaint against movies like "the Ring" or "the Lake House" or "One Missed Call". In the case of Akira, I could definitly see the point that keeping it japanese would be important to the storyline and everything (and its called Akira, lol; maybe they could do something like what they did with "the Grudge" remake) but Death Note I think is a story that could easily work regardless of the nationalities of the characters involved.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:25 pm

[quote="Rocketshipper (post: 1472195)"]For books...Most Stephen King adaptions don]

Considering that's believed one of the best horror films ever, I'm really surprised. I didn't read the book until last year, but I saw a bunch of Stephen King adaptations when I was younger. The only one that truly terrified me was The Shining. And even when I watch it against other great horrors, it holds up.

Now that I've read the book, I know the book is better, but take the movie on it's own and it's a great adaptation.
Atria35

Postby Rocketshipper » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:22 am

I saw the movie before I ever read the book, and I thought it was kind of boring. But then again, I was like 12 or something then, and I wasn't patient enough for its slow pacing, or the more psychological "slowly going mad" story development. Then I saw episode 1 of the TV miniseries remake and loved it, which got me to read the book. I think the mini series is a lot better than Kubrick's version up until the 3rd episode...then suddenly the pacing dies, Jack starts spouting terrible one liners, and there's a sappy ending. I blaim the fact that it was on TV though (there's no way they could have gotten an *uncut* version of the book's finale past the network censors)
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Previous

Return to General Entertainment