Instant Hooks

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Instant Hooks

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:21 pm

When you hear about a movie or tv show or see a trailer, what are some of the things that make you immediately interested in it?

There are several things for me:

1. Movies about westerners in Asia or vice versa. For obvious reasons.

2. Period pieces. A lot of my favorite movies are period dramas, I think. I've seen period dramas done badly, to be sure, but for the most part I really like them, and I think a lot of times just by virtue of the research that had to go into making them, they end up being smarter movies. They don't use cheap tricks or humor to appeal to the average American teenager, and end up having a more timeless feel to them.

3. An actor I like. I will watch and many times have watched a movie just because a certain actor was in it.

4. Psychological thrillers. Not violence or gore. I hate that stuff. But I do enjoy films that delve into personalities and psychology, and use those things to create a suspenseful mystery. I find those more enjoyable than straight-up suspense, because you can watch them multiple times and analyze the characters and the twists. With straight-up suspense, it's not enjoyable once you know what's going to happen.

5. Sci-fi action. Can't help it. I loves me some lasers.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Ditto on the actors i like thing

Giant Robots, Micheal bay will take my money for T3 and I am seeing Rock'em Sock'em Robots.....i mean ahem Real Steel
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:45 pm

1. Bill Murray. Also other actors that I really like. But definitely Bill Murray. XD

2. Sci-fi and psychological thrillers. I agree 100% there. XD Also, dystopian stuff.

3. Wes Anderson. Also other directors that I really like. XD

4. Stop-motion animation.

5. 2D animation.

6. Writers that I really like.

Ummm...I think that's it. At least, that's all that comes to mind immediately. XD Others include a rich visual style or a film that just looks unique. I'm almost always drawn to those. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:59 pm

I will strongly feel a desire to see a movie if:

1) It looks artsy fartsy.

2) It takes place during prohibition. This time period just seems to provide for some great stories.

3) It says one of the following in the trailer: Martin Scorcese, Terrence Malick, Danny Boyle, Alfonso Cuaron, Paul Thomas Anderson, Wes Anderson, Alejandro González Iñárritu.... this list goes on for a bit, but these are just what I could think of at the moment.

4) When it has either unique looking animation styles, or appears to have some animation intercut into the live action footage.

5) When I see the trailer and think, "I know some people who would love that". The social experience can go a long way for me.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Okami » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:58 pm

I am the same with Psych thrillers. /coughPsychologymajorcough.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:12 am

Psychological thrillers
High concept movies
Pixar movies
Christopher Nolan movies
Studio Ghibli movies
Unique action movies
Weird fantasy movies
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:07 am

I was thinking about this and then I realized I've seen exactly one movie in the theatres in the last six months, and all the DVDs I buy are TV shows.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:39 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1485187) wrote:1. Movies about westerners in Asia or vice versa. For obvious reasons.

Ever seen "The Good, The Bad, The Weird"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjm9gAjgRuU
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:41 am

Oh my... Oh... oh my gosh...

I need to see this movie AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE.

It looks like the culmination of all things amazing. Really, all of human history has been leading up to this one point.

THE NEXT DAY: Okay, haha, it wasn't THAT good, but it was really entertaining. XD
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:15 am

For Me:
1. Spielburg is involved.
2. Disney. This includes Pixar, Touchstone, and occasionally Miramax.
3. Favorite actors/actresses, especially Harrison Ford, Nicholas Cage, Robin Williams, and Natalie Portman.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:50 am

- Actors I like.
- Period pieces.
- "Art" films.
- Interesting, creative concepts (examples: Cowboys and Aliens; Real Steel. I want to see these because of the concepts.)
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby QtheQreater » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:06 am

- weird, artistic filming
- Sci-fi explosions. Shiny...
- Most things Pixar, Aardman, and Jim Henson studios
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:31 am

Yuki-Anne (post: 1485440) wrote:Oh my... Oh... oh my gosh...

I need to see this movie AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE.

It looks like the culmination of all things amazing. Really, all of human history has been leading up to this one point.

THE NEXT DAY: Okay, haha, it wasn't THAT good, but it was really entertaining. XD

Hahaha. Sorry if I maybe raised your hopes up. Yeah I thought it was just a really fun movie too. XD But nothing too forever rave about.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:46 pm

1. A favorite actor, especially ones like Christian Bale, Joseph Fiennes, Morgan Freeman, and probably some others that I'm forgetting. But really, any name that I know makes me pay more attention until I find out more about the movie.

2. A director I like, especially M. Night Shyamalan (the entire reason I watched The Village was because I saw a teaser trailer that simply said his new movie was coming out), Peter Jackson, etc.

3. Pixar

4. Modern non-CG animated Disney movies

5. A kid movie trailer that doesn't include stupid and/or crude humor

6. A trailer with no voice overs, even more if it doesn't have words flashing across either
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Gojira » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:13 pm

Anything with certain cryptids and giant monsters.
Gojira

Return to General Entertainment