Does swordsmanship count as a sport?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Does swordsmanship count as a sport?

Postby Destroyer2000 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:46 pm

??
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby Pantakrator » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:41 pm

I should think so!!!
Luke 10:22 ... "No one knows who the son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son choses to reveal him"

ImageImage
Pantakrator

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:42 pm

Fencing does. Is that what you're thinking of?
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Locke » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:05 pm

if not i wasted alot of time
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Omega Amen » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:07 pm

Fencing, definitely.

However, most Asian martial arts sword practices and sparring... no... unless it is in performing a certain form that requires a sword (like in gymnastics, where you get a score for your performance in a competition). That is my opinion as a former Chinese martial arts student.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby glitch1501 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:17 pm

id consider it a sport

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby kirakira » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:24 pm

Is a plum considered a fruit? *lol* Yes, I consider it a sport. ^^ It all depends on what you define a sport as. I htink WEbster said something to the effect of: any physical activity indulged in for amusement, sport (clever webster, eh?), etc, etc...I forget. ^^ Ah well, that wasn't much help now was it? Now I'm rambling. *lol*
Love wins.
kirakira

Postby Destroyer2000 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:41 pm

Well, the way I see it, fencing is weak. It USED to be good....two blows: One, get under the armour, two, kill. Now it's just something practiced by tapping pointy sticks together while wearing armor, no less. I don't wear armor when I fight with friends; I take the blows. Of course, that could be why I'm hurt alot, but....enough.

I mean kenjutsu. Not fencing. Sword arts with a katana, wakizashi, and other weapons like that. Even European broadswords and such, but their styles were just slash, hack, slash, etc. I'm a bit biased toward Japanese styles, but...I mean ANY sword style, fencing or not.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:45 pm

swordfighting is a art and a sport. I belive they do have competitions of sword figthing (by yourslf and against a opponent).

Thie rthis one guy who was the master at the Katana (and a Christian) who placed Number 1 in the Katana use. Man was he good! I saw it on T.V.
Hitokiri

Postby kirakira » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:57 pm

*pokes unsuspecting Destroyer2000 with a foil* Eh? *lol* Actually, fencing can get really brutal. If you think it's just tapping sticks, you are sadly misinformed. ^^ *lolses* I participated in a tournament a while back, and got blood drawn. ^^ Not to mention bruises. Ah, well, I guess it's all in how you look at it. :thumb:
Love wins.
kirakira

Postby cbwing0 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:57 pm

If by "sport" you mean something you see in the olympics or on tv, then no, sword arts are not sports. However, if you mean a competition that requires great skill, lots of practice, and physical fitness, then Kenjutsu, Iaijutsu, etc. are most certainly sports.
cbwing0

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:08 pm

it should be a sport in the olympics
Hitokiri

Postby Kisa » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:05 pm

Yea its a sport! Anything that involves athletic ability and skill is! ^_^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Destroyer2000 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:05 pm

Ah. I got a good gash in my head from a staff...meh, that was when we were first starting. It wouldn't happen now.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

Destroyer2000

Return to General Entertainment