Cosplay for a 20th century "Decades" banquet

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Cosplay for a 20th century "Decades" banquet

Postby rii namuras » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:06 pm

(For those of you that don't know, I compete in competitive speech and debate in the National Christian Forensics and Communicator's Association, the NCFCA. Every year we have a two-week conference, and during that conference we have two banquets. The first is a formal, for which I have something picked out. But I'm having trouble with the Decades Banquet - basically it's a costume ball in which you come wearing something from the 20th century. Now, I would absolutely love to get away with cosplaying, but I'm not entirely sure who, since most anime that I watch takes place in the late 19th or early 21st century. I think it's expected to come in a 20th century American costume, but I'm not against breaking the trend (though my mom may be. >_>).)

(Just keep in mind that this is a very, ah, conservative league, so costumes must be conservative as well.)

(Thanks!)
rii namuras

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:34 am

You could go for the Japanese school girl uniform (but makes the skirt a tad longer than normal)

I'll look around google though.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Photosoph » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:12 pm

I don't think that would be so... well... 'conservative'. :sweat:

Perhaps you could cosplay as the older brother from 'Scrapped Princess', Shannon Casull? (Found on google: http://219.117.236.243/palet_img/00305a.jpg ; sorry it's just a pic of a toy figurine; couldn't find a better pic on short notice heh :sweat: ).
Although I'm not sure if that would count as being from the '20th century...'

What would be considered 20th century, just as an example? o_O
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby rii namuras » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:02 pm

(I have no idea. I was told by a staff assistant that it's basically anything from the 20th century - e.g. the nineteen hundreds. I'm assuming that what is meant is American nineteen hundreds, but I would love to be "contrary" (as my mom says) and go as something from another country. I'm contemplating Sophia from Last Exile, because Last Exile is 20th century-based. It would be fun because I'm pretty sure that, as the ships are, the costumes, ect. are more German based, and everyone at Masters (the said conference) is has an odd fasination with Hitler in the "He was a really good speaker BUTHEWASN'TAGOODPERSON!" type of way.)

(And on that line of thinking - I could go as someone from the FMA movie - since it takes place during the 1920s (or around theres). Noa springs to mind.)

(And while I do like Shannon (I read the first volume of SP at the library), I'm pretty sure it's late 19th, and I don't htink I could do that on short notice either. O_o (I'd have about a week to put it together, not counting the vacation this week).)

(And a quick ammendment - if at all possible could it be someone with slightly-longer-than-shoulder-length-hair or that length that could be put in a bun (a la Sophia?). Because I'd rather not cut my hair for a banquet.)
rii namuras

Postby Photosoph » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:58 pm

(the said conference) is has an odd fasination with Hitler in the "He was a really good speaker BUTHEWASN'TAGOODPERSON!" type of way.)

Rofl! :grin:

If you'd rather not cut your hair, I guess you could always try to wear a wig. o_O
Sophia sounds like a good choice; gah, haven't watched Last Exile for a while. :sweat: But Lavie... if you went as someone like her, you could sort of 'represent' that era during the war (WWII, I think) when women were starting to do all the mens' jobs while they were away at work. Like that picture of that woman in a mechanic's overalls holding up her arm with the slogan "we can do it!" Totally forget the name of that woman... but she's from around about that era.
Since Lavie's look reminds me of a mechanic, her sort of clothing might work for that whole concept, while contrasting a bit with what other people would be doing (a la Hitler :sweat: )

In fact, quite a few of the other characters from Last Exile could be good choices. ^^ For ones with shorter hair, as I think I mentioned before, you might be able to find a suitable wig for.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby rii namuras » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:58 am

(Actually, I'm not expecting anyone to go as Hitler - what I meant was all the interns teaching the speech classes are always like "he was a great speaker BUTHEWASN'TAGOODPERSON". But yeah, the only problem I have with Lavie is the midrift, mainly because Mrs. Moon would not take kindly to that. Also it's in Kentucky in January, so I don't think a midrift is a good idea anyways. ;) But then there's her pilot's outfit, and while I'd enjoy that, I couldn't do it in a week. Meh. Lavie's fun, too.)
rii namuras

Postby Photosoph » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:55 pm

I think it was her pilot's outfit that I was thinking about; yeah, I wouldn't go for the midrift either. :sweat:
That's kind of all I can think of for now. o_O If I have any other ideas I'll let you know (providing my internet connection does screw up again >_<)
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:29 pm

I think you should get a pinstripe suit, matching fedora, and a violin case and go as a gangster. Oh yes.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Return to Tutorials