The Lady or the Tiger?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

The Lady or the Tiger?

Postby Lunis » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:47 am

Has anyone read the story "The Lady or the Tiger?" If not, here's a link. http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/LadyTige.shtml

Which door do you think the princess led her lover to?

I think she would lead him to the tiger. Why? It is a partially barbaric country. Everything else in the story seemed barbaric enough that I think in the princess' mind, it would be better for that man to die than to marry someone that she hates. I think that she would convince herself after the days of indecision that having him die would be a lesser torture to herself. Not the way I would do it, but I reiterate that this was a barbaric country.

I find it fun to discuss questions like this. What is your opinion and why?
It is the infirmity of little minds to be dazzled with everything that sparkles.
Lunis

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:04 pm

Wow, this is a oldie.

I always favoured the tiger myself.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:08 pm

Given the nature of the princess, I'd say she'd choose the tiger. While she loved the guy, she has two major things pushing her towards the tiger door:

1) Her father is obviously the kind of guy who doesn't mind judging someone by the means discribed in the story. With that said, we can assume her parenting has been pretty crappy. :sweat:

2) Plus, she hates the chick who's behind the door. To a barabaric princess, I'd say love and hate are probably equally strong emotions.

For these reasons, I'd say she sent the poor fellow to his death.

As a side note, I had to read that story for a literature class, and the teacher told us that the author of the story was swamped by letters from readers who wanted to know which door the princess chose. He would never tell, but he did say that he thought that your gut feeling concerning which door the princess guided her beloved to said something about you. So I guess the three of us vampires or something. :lol:
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Nate » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:23 pm

Honestly, I think she pointed him to the tiger. This is probably because of her barbaric nature, and the fact that she probably did not love him.

Love sometimes means doing something you do not want to do, for the better of the object of your affection. Look at God. He truly loved us, so even though He did not want to, He sent His son to die for us.

Conversely, if I were in love with a woman, TRULY in love with her, I would want what was best for her, even if that turned out to not be me. If the prince looked favorably upon the lady that was in the cage, they could possibly have loved each other, and if the princess truly loved him, he should have let him live and be happy, because that would have been best for him.

This is my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. Probably the tiger because of her nature, but it should've been the lady if she truly loved him.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Kaori » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:16 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:He would never tell, but he did say that he thought that your gut feeling concerning which door the princess guided her beloved to said something about you.

I also remember reading something to that extent.

The author wrote a sequel story, The Discourager of Hesitancy. A messenger is sent to the country where the first story took place to try to find out what happened to the lover, and instead of receiving an answer he is told a different story that has a similar inconclusive ending.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Scribs » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:19 pm

The Tiger

Being the pessimist that I am, I would very much suspect that she, being bloodthirsty and probably jealous would point to the tiger. "If I can't have him no one will" was probably what was going through her head.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:28 am

Like everyone else here, I say the tiger, because she probably didn't truly love him.
Although it would have been nice (in a way) if she chose the other woman, because that would mean that he wasn't just an object of her fancy that was being punished for loving her. Lol, I'm such a romantic.
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby AnubisWerewolf » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:26 pm

I love that story. Such a classic. Had to read it in school when I was younger. Good times...
"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success." -Moonbay from Zoids Chaotic Century
AnubisWerewolf

Postby the_lizardqueen » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:35 pm

Wow. An old thread and a story that I've never heard of before. It was quite interesting though.

I'm gonna go against the flow and lean towards the lover surviving. Honestly, I can't decide which way the Princess would have gone. But I just can't quite accept the whole watch-the-lover-get-shredded-by-the-tiger route.

I may claim to be a pessimist but there seems to be a sun-shiney flakey optimist hiding below the surface ^^;

Dude. This is totally reminding me of 'The Prisoner's Dilemna', that play made me totally neurotically paranoid. I see a potential thread idea O.O
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:01 pm

This is such a classic that they made it part of Catwoman's introduction on Batman.
In the ep.Batman has to choose the classic two doors,behind one is a tiger and behind the other is Catwoman with the key to free Robin from his cage.If Batman guessed right he will be able to free Robin and himself from the trap,if he chooses wrong he becomes Bat Burgers.
mitsuki lover

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:36 pm

I remember reading this book back in 9th grade. I always thought it was the Tiger the princess chose, for all the reasons mentioned above. An interesting story, though. My favorite short story from 9th grade was still "The Most Dangerous Game," though. :D I loved that story! :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby USSRGirl » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:20 pm

I loved this story!

THE TIGER!!! THE TIGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because....pride is stronger than love. And besides...that's just how girls are. ^_^ If she couldn't have him fawning over her anymore, then she'd rather see him die a horrible bloody death. Because her love would be dead to her regardless, at least she wouldn't have to see him with another. Barbarism overrides civil behavior.
USSRGirl

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:10 pm

We did that story once in Junior High. In my version, I had her pick the tiger, but the hero actually killed the tiger and got the girl anyway.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Return to Book Corner