Crest of the Stars

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Crest of the Stars

Postby termyt » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:09 pm

When I first saw the anime version of this, I felt like I was only seein the surface of a deep and rich universe. There is so much going on there far beyond what we are treated to on screen.

Gunparade March has a similar effect - the war is the background setting for the romance story - but Crest/Banner has a great deal more to it. It's like the creators were intimately aware of the universe their characters lived in and new exactly how it worked.

I’m rambling a bit, but I found out today that Crest of the Stars is going to be released in novel form in a couple of months and the thought of getting lost in a world only an expertly written novel can present excites me. I wonder how it will translate into English. I also wonder if it truly the original novel translated into English or just a novelization of the anime.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Linksquest » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:11 pm

Wow, I haven't even heard of this anime, but now I'm intrigued! I absolutely love reading good books. What is this about? Is it Sci-fi?
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby termyt » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:19 pm

Yes. There's a review of it here at CAA that explains it better than I could in a few sentences - http://christiananime.net/reviews.php?display=126

The character development and setting of story are masterfully crafted. I can't wait to read it novel form.
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Linksquest » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:38 pm

Do you know when the novel will be out in stores?
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Doe Johnson » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:40 pm

I thought that this was originally a novel. Or maybe it was three novels...the Seikai Trilogy. I could be wrong though. *has read Crest and Banner I/II and seen Crest* But yeah, I'd assume it would be the original novel translated.
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby Tancos » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:31 pm

There are at least four and possibly seven volumes in Hiroyuke Morioka's two "Seikai" series now, if I'm interpreting the information at this site correctly. (N.B.: there are lots of spoilers in the "story guide" and "characters" sections; skip them if you haven't seen the animes.)
Tancos

Postby termyt » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:16 pm

Doe Johnson wrote:I thought that this was originally a novel.

I believe you are correct.

I don't have a release date. The catalog I saw it in is usually two months in advance of the release, so I would guess it would be in August.

According to said catalog, this will be volume one of six and be 192 pages in length. I don’t know if the six volumes cover the entire Crest/Banner story or just Crest of the Stars.
termyt

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:34 pm

It would be nice to get.I already have the first two volumes of the manga:Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars and hope that they come out with Banner II
soon.
mitsuki lover

Postby Saint Kevin » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:36 am

I agree. I've heard that creator Hiroyuki Morioka even went so far as to create an Abh language for his story. I liked the series so much, I considered buying the novels in Japanese (which kindly had an attempt at an english translation included by a fan of the series). Just throwing this out there as well...I thought the voice acting by the principal characters in the anime was really good.
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:19 pm

Crest and Banner(I) are my 4 and 5 favorite animes following Silent Mobius,Inuyasha and Dual.What I enjoy is the developing relationship between
Jinto and Lafiel.
My favorite character aside from Jinto and Lafiel is Admiral Spoor.It's fun to watch her go from acting like she doesn't really care what's happening on her flagship or in the rest of the sector to suddenly jump up and give a decisive command,which is always the right one btw.
Some psychologist would have fun trying to learn what makes Spoor tick!
mitsuki lover

Postby Doe Johnson » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:50 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:It would be nice to get.I already have the first two volumes of the manga:Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars and hope that they come out with Banner II
soon.

uhh...I've read Banner II before in the store...like...months ago. So, they definately have it out, unless there is another part that I don't know of?
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:55 am

I haven't been to the bookstore in quite a while so don't know what is or is not avaible.If I can find it the next time I'm at Barnes & Nobles I will see about buying it.
mitsuki lover

Return to Book Corner