Mascot Contest

Win the competitions and get free cookies! (sorry for lame description, perhaps Ink can come up with a better one)

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed May 09, 2007 9:08 pm

I think something that has a more universal appeal would be good. I mean, I like cute things, but CAA in and of itself isn't exactly "cute".
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby crossalchemist » Wed May 09, 2007 11:25 pm

I'm not saying cute is bad, nor that we should have 'scary' things, but I think that the mascot should be fairly universal. That's why I think the old 'mascot' (if you can call it that, it seemed like it was sorta randomly established) of the mech thing never caught on, not everybody likes mech animes. I agree with ShiroiHikari. Cute is good, Trigun-esque is good, shojo is good, but we represent more than that and a mascot isn't mascot unless it's representative.
formerly known as linwood

"The power of Christ forgives you!"
-Brett (a friend from college, parodying the famous line from 'The Exorcist'.)

My new homepage!

My Infamously Semi-Famous Story Blog:
The Sheehy Brothers Adventures!

Dr. Bryan Enderle, Chemistry lecturer at the University of California at Davis gives an excellent talk on Science vs. Faith once in a great while. I tried to record it once, with very limited success, this link is what I have.
Science vs. Faith
crossalchemist

Location: Somewhere far far away, where they'll never find me.

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu May 10, 2007 12:23 am

yeah...but once we establish a mascot it can be redrawn in each genre if everyone wants that...

I think it would be great to see fan art of the mascot! The mascot will hopefully change it's appearance sometimes, it will be constantly updated and revamped...

at least that's a cool vision, I think ^^;

at the same time... it's not easy to form to EVERYONE's tastes... just because one person may not like Cute. Or another may not like Shonen...doesn't mean it's possible to conform to everyone's wishes. And it's not fair to expect a mascot to do that.. A mascot is just something that will represent CAA... there are over 5000 people here, and it's gonna be really hard to conform to one set style...

someone is going to be unhappy with something...that's just how life is...

And it's silly to say that somethng can't be a certain way, the artists will draw what they feel is best...and then their drawings will be judged according to whatever the judges want for CAA.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby chibiphonebooth » Thu May 10, 2007 12:27 pm

well, i agree with CK. If we establish one mascot, it can be drawn in various ways.

For example, my panda- I can draw him in so many ways. I've already done it. If you want, I can post it.

He can be freaking buff as heck if you want. XD

I also like the skins idea.
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu May 10, 2007 2:37 pm

Mithrandir wrote:I think skins that let users choose how they want the site to look sounds like a great idea. There will likely still be an "official" mascot, but there's nothing that says we can't have multiple splash pages.

Will this take lots of coding? O_O

sounds awesome though! if you can do it without lots of stress... then everyone wins!!!!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby chibiphonebooth » Thu May 10, 2007 3:59 pm

Actually, now that i think about it... I dont know if that is the best idea.

Well, I mean, it is a good idea. But it could be harder on the artists to keep changing their style. It could go very wrong.

like this:

(if you can't read what it says, it reads, "I'm awkward.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu May 10, 2007 6:31 pm

O_________O

DAng Chibi..that's so funny! XDD noo... please let's not do this!! XDDD ewwww...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Cap'n Nick » Fri May 11, 2007 1:50 pm

Our mascot should definitely not be this...

Cap'n Nick

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri May 11, 2007 2:17 pm

did..you make that? O_O

I am not too fond of his feet...O_o
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Fri May 11, 2007 3:20 pm

FTW Cappy. XD

I do agree that some of these submission are good but may I suggest something?

Why not something that closely resembles Christ? No, not a person, but maybe a lamb or lion done in anime art. Make it look somewhat serious but welcoming and kind at the same time.

I mean, yeah, there's a time for cute things but it can't be all "happy happy joy joy."
CrimsonRyu17

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri May 11, 2007 3:22 pm

I have sumitted a lamb, Crimson. ^^; It's not awesome, but your suggestion has been thought of...

also, I raelly feel that Mascots should be cute...O_o but we only have 4 entries, and I know the artists that have submitted plan to submit more designs. ^_^ The designs will probably be more serious... As I said earlier, these are the designs of the artists, they will draw whatever they feel represents CAA. The designs may not win, but at least they are giving it their all...

The reason Chibi and I entered the Panda twins was because we thought they represented something: Panda-Asia-Japan-Anime-CAA

So please, let's stop all this "Aww I don't want a CUTE mascot." Ashley did say, "I would love cute animals!" The artists are trying their best to come up with designs... just give them a break! there is still PLENTY of time for more serious entries so everyone needs to ice! ^_^;
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby chibiphonebooth » Fri May 11, 2007 6:01 pm

agreed.
ImageImageImage

chibiphonebooth

Postby ShadowCat » Fri May 11, 2007 10:50 pm

Here's a chibi-version, colored 3 ways~ \o.o/
ShadowCat

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat May 12, 2007 9:00 am

OMGOSH! Shadow Cat 1 I LOOOVE the first one!! It's soo cute!!! ^_^ GREAT job! I like this one a lot...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby USSRGirl » Sat May 12, 2007 10:44 am

>.< I kneeeew someone (or multiple people) would steal the lion and lamb idea before I had a chance to draw it! Now you're all going to force me to make something really random! BEWARE. Randomness is coming (if I ever get free time to draw/color somethin')
USSRGirl

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat May 12, 2007 11:11 am

there is no lion yet...^^;

I might take Mighty Lamb out too...so go ahead and see what you can come up with ^_^ I look foward to it.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby chibiphonebooth » Sat May 12, 2007 12:07 pm

So here is my next entry.

XD

Shes this... cat...girl... thing. Um yes. Basically, I made her a less cutesy, and She has more of a spunky feel to her. At least, that's what I tried to convey. I also made her half animal because Ashley prefered animals... but I was afraid of going full out animal cause it would turn cute. XD

She's pretty simplistic- something I'm not sure I like, but that is probably because I never draw simplistic stuff. XD
So I'm not used to it. hahah.

Anyway, I haven't really come up with a name for her yet... but um. yeah. here she is.

I tried to coordinate her colors to the colors of CAA. :]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImage

chibiphonebooth

Postby ShadowCat » Sat May 12, 2007 12:28 pm

She reminds me of the Rita from Flushed Away. \o.o/
ShadowCat

Postby chibiphonebooth » Sat May 12, 2007 2:45 pm

Never saw it. XP
ImageImageImage

chibiphonebooth

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat May 12, 2007 3:43 pm

Chibi, have I told you how much I looove your artwork? NO? well I doo it's always amazing, I love the attitude of your CAA Kitty! ^^ she is great!

Okay...in retaliation to the "Too many cute Mascots" compaints, I have decided to enter another entry. ( I am sorry.... I just have so many ideas!)

This is my newest design: Samurai D. Or Samurai Disciple. I might give him a better name later but I am not sure... I kinda like the rythym of Samurai D. ^^;

He is a Christian Swordsman, and his sword is his Bible. (See Romans 4:12) I figure he fits with CAA because he is a Warrior of Christ, as we all should be.. and well, he is a samurai, and Samurais remind me of anime... Soo.. Christian Anime?

I dunno...anyways here he is.. ^^; Like Chibi, I wanted to incorporate the colors of CAA. (we are actually doing a lot of discussion about our mascots, and bouncing ideas off each other... and we both liked the idea of CAA colors.. White, Light Grey, Grey, Black and Red. )

Anyways I hope he is a bit more serious for you guys....I really want to see some more entries though.

I went ahead and drew his normal colored version, a chibi version (for those of you who actually WANT cute) and a manga color version... ^^;

I had a bit of help from my Rurouni Kenshin mangas with the design of the hakama and Gi...I haven't drawn samurai very much..^^;
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Sat May 12, 2007 4:57 pm

ChristianKitsune, that one is actually pretty cool. I like the thought put in to it and the design itself. Neato.

Also, I was wondering, since some of us members don't have neat computer programs that allow us to paint our drawings, is there anyway someone could design a mascot character and ask someone willing to paint it for them?

Just wondering.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat May 12, 2007 5:37 pm

i might be willing to help someone....but there are also free programs that you can download..

http://www.thegimp.org
http://www.photofiltre.com

are two fine examples of downloadable programs...Photofiltre is just a little better than MSPaint...and doesn't have layers, but the gimp does.

EDIT: and thank you! ^_^
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby chibiphonebooth » Sun May 13, 2007 5:18 am

i could help someone too! :D
ImageImageImage

chibiphonebooth

Postby USSRGirl » Sun May 13, 2007 9:23 pm

Aw, thanks CK, but I have another idea. And don't take Super Lamb out, he was cute! Nice chibi samurai guy too. Awww and the panda twins are so kawaii, Chibiphonebooth

Oh man... I better hurry up and color this before someone else thinks of it! >.<;;

*color color color*

Oh hey, wait, if someone out there has a nice cool coloring program I'd appreciate some collab help as I only have MS paint, can't download anything else without crashing my computer, and don't own colored pencils or crayons. >.<
USSRGirl

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun May 13, 2007 10:12 pm

USSRGirl I can color it for you since I am online..^_^ just tell me what colors you would like..
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby dduk » Mon May 14, 2007 10:45 am

USSRGirl wrote:can't download anything else without crashing my computer, and don't own colored pencils or crayons. >.<

have u tried getting GIMP? its a free color, image minipulation/rendering program like photoshop but it's free.

heres the links to the instructions and requirements for installation to make sure it will work for u]Gimp instructions[/URL] (these instructions are assuming ur using windows, they have instructions for macs and other os's too)

if ur interested in dl'ing it, theres a link to downloads in the left panel
dduk

Postby USSRGirl » Mon May 14, 2007 12:06 pm

Hey thanks for the link Dduk. I'll check it out, but like I said downloads rarely work on my hideously slow computer.

Oooh CK thanks so much! :jump: I'll PM you the pic, cause right now it looks terrible in paint.
USSRGirl

Postby USSRGirl » Tue May 15, 2007 10:43 am

Okay here's my entry: Image

Drawn by yours truly, colored by ChristianKitsune (awesome job! Thanks a bunch!). Since everyone and their grandmother was doing lions and lambs, I tried for something more unique. There ya have it - she's a seraphim, the angelic creatures mentioned in Isaiah 6, as invisioned by Temulin. So her name's Sera.

*bows and shuffles out*
USSRGirl

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue May 15, 2007 3:09 pm

she is a cute character, Temulin! ^_^
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Photosoph » Tue May 15, 2007 4:03 pm

Waaah; such beautiful entries. Shadowcat, Chibi, CK and USSRgirl; they look so cool! :jump: Beautiful work, guys. ^_^
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Previous Next

Return to Art Contests