Any characters you changed your mind about?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Any characters you changed your mind about?

Postby Rose Faerie » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:37 pm

I was just wondering if you had negative opinions of a character when you started an anime, but your opinion changed as the story went on? Or if there were any characters you initially loved, but you grew to dislike them, as the series went on?

For starters, Kagura from Fruits Basket really annoyed me at first, but in the second season she got some great character development, and now she's one of my favorites. Rin also rubbed me the wrong way, but I liked her better after hearing her backstory.

Mizuki from Kamisama Kiss was initially kind of creepy and weird, and some of the stuff he did was definitely not okay (kidnapping Nanami and trying to force her to marry him). SPOILER: Highlight text to read: [But after becoming Nanami's familiar he began to grow in a positive direction, as he finally gets to experience the real world. (Honestly he was the funniest character in the show, too.)

I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Last edited by shooraijin on Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed spoiler tag
Rose Faerie

Re: Any characters you changed your mind about?

Postby Sammy Boy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:50 am

Usually the anime I watch are feature length films, as I don't have the time required to go through a whole series.

So my exposure to character development over the course of many episodes is limited, and while character development can occur in feature length films, in some ways it's just the same.

For an anime series, I would say I probably initially disliked Vegeta in DragonBall Z. Later on I think his character developed to the point where he had a rivalry with, and grudging respect for Goku and while not completely "pleasant", he became something of a noble anti-hero that could be counted on when the chips were down.
Sammy Boy

Re: Any characters you changed your mind about?

Postby Davidizer13 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:11 pm

When I watched Evangelion the first time, I was a young single dude not too far out of college, living on my own for the first time. I identified pretty strongly with the main three. I re-watched it a few months ago, now that I'm married with kids, and this time, Gendo and the NERV crew (Misato, Kaji, Ritsuko) stood out to me. Their adult problems felt more real, more immediately relevant to my experiences, and seeing the broken relationships (especially the parent-child ones) hit harder now that I'd experienced what's at stake if my own went wrong.

Then there's Captain from Giant Gorg. My opinion completely dropped off at the end of the series, from being an awesome, gritty character to one of my least favorite. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Attempting to rape someone generally changes your opinion of a person.
Davidizer13

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews