His Resurrection Destiny

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

His Resurrection Destiny

Postby John_Smith » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:25 am

Ought not the Christ to have suffered these things and to enter into His glory? —Luke 24:26

Our Lord’s Cross is the gateway into His life. His resurrection means that He has the power to convey His life to me. When I was born again, I received the very life of the risen Lord from Jesus Himself.

Christ’s resurrection destiny— His foreordained purpose— was to bring “many sons to glory” (Hebrews 2:10)*. The fulfilling of His destiny gives Him the right to make us sons and daughters of God. We never have exactly the same relationship to God that the Son of God has, but we are brought by the Son into the relation of sonship. When our Lord rose from the dead, He rose to an absolutely new life— a life He had never lived before He was God Incarnate. He rose to a life that had never been before. And what His resurrection means for us is that we are raised to His risen life, not to our old life. One day we will have a body like His glorious body, but we can know here and now the power and effectiveness of His resurrection and can “walk in newness of life” (Romans 6:4)*. Paul’s determined purpose was to “know Him and the power of His resurrection” (Philippians 3:10)*.

Jesus prayed, “. . . as You have given Him authority over all flesh that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him” (John 17:2)*. The term Holy Spirit is actually another name for the experience of eternal life working in human beings here and now. The Holy Spirit is the deity of God who continues to apply the power of the atonement by the Cross of Christ to our lives. Thank God for the glorious and majestic truth that His Spirit can work the very nature of Jesus into us, if we will only obey Him.

from My Utmost for His Highest

*Hebrews 2:10: For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

*Romans 6:4: Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

*Philippians 3:10-12: that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, if by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay of that for which Christ Jesus has laid hold of me.

*John 17:1-2: Jesus spoke these words, lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You, as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him.

I want to point out about the John 17 verse… the writing makes it appear that Jesus is talking about the Holy Spirit, when in fact He is talking about Himself (we can tell because of the verse prior, which I have listed above).
Not that Chambers statements about the Holy Spirit are any less true. Holy Spirit is constantly with us, perfecting us and likening us to Jesus. This process is something which will never be completed on earth, this place where we are still partial slaves to flesh. But what is important here is to ‘press on, that we may lay hold of that which Christ Jesus has laid hold us.’ The Holy Spirit will only work in our lives as much as we let Him.
John_Smith

Re: His Resurrection Destiny

Postby ClaecElric4God » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:27 pm

Wow, this guy just keeps looking at things from an angle I've never seen. That Jesus was raised into a new life, different from the one He'd had before, and that it signifies the new life we receive. That's really cool.
Not much else to add. But I really like this one and the points brought up.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Return to Devotional Readings