Skipping Tomorrows webmanga

Calling all self-proclaimed mangaka!

Postby Hephzibah » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:04 am

XD The manga's coming along really well! I was laughing hard when Shawn thought Emma was like Belldandy, as well as in the latest page when the coffee landed on his lap XD Poor bloke!

Anyway, I made a little banner thingy for you :grin: It's nothing flashy... I hope you like it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hephzibah

Postby Gypsy » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:46 am

I love it, Talame, thank you so much! I'll put it up on the site soon with proper creds and all. ;) Thanks for reading! ^^ (People have been asking for banners and buttons and now I don't have to make one - mwhahaha!)
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Zilch » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:11 pm

Well, at least I can say I'm the first member of CAA with a Skipping Tommorows(albeit, doctored) avatar...

IN YOUR FACE!
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby Gypsy » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:50 am

Maybe I'll be a nice sister and make you one that's not so blurry. ;)
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Hephzibah » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:01 pm

[quote="Gypsy"]I love it, Talame, thank you so much! I'll put it up on the site soon with proper creds and all. ]
^^ No problemo! It's my pleasure to be able to support the Christian manga artists out there ;)
Hephzibah

Postby Mave » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:41 pm

Hehe, it's kinda funny to see Emma stressed out just because she's in his apartment. Sometimes we forget how conservative people were in the older times.
Mave

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:12 am

What is the update schedule for this? You may have mentioned this before, and if so I apologize, but I'd like to check more efficiently.
uc pseudonym

Postby Ashley » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:26 am

M/T/TH!

Do I get kudos for knowing that off the top of my head? ^^
Ashley

Postby Zilch » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:52 am

No. You get a cookie. A special-L cookie. Gwaha.
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:32 am

Hm. That's a interesting schedule, but I'm not complaining, because today is Tuesday.
uc pseudonym

Postby Gypsy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:34 am

Zilch, do *not* give out special-L cookies!!

As for the schedule, it is a bit odd. This is my reasoning, follow if you dare:

Most webmanga updates on the Monday, Wednesday, and Friday schedule, and I was trying to alternate to give people something to read on the off-days between the big webmanga schedules. However, Mondays are one of the most horrible days of the week, and anything that can help kick of the week is a good thing, so I put up a page on Mondays to lesson everyone's pain. ;) The next day (Tuesday) is considered an off-day for webmanga, so it's an update day for me. Wednesday you can read lots of other great webmanga, but it's pretty dead on Thursday, so I update again.

Now my question is, does this schedule work for my regular readers, or would you prefer that I change the update schedule? The only traffic outside of CAA members I get is clicks from kcome.net (yays for Mave!) so it's all your opinions that I'm interested in. Chapter 2 is winding down (yeah, I know, short chapters) and if everyone would like a schedule change, I'd like to start it with Chapter 3.
Gypsy

Postby Icarus » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:57 am

Any shchedule works for me. Good work so far, and I particularly like Emma.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:39 am

Gypsy wrote:Now my question is, does this schedule work for my regular readers, or would you prefer that I change the update schedule? The only traffic outside of CAA members I get is clicks from kcom.net (yays for Mave!) so it's all your opinions that I'm interested in. Chapter 2 is winding down (yeah, I know, short chapters) and if everyone would like a schedule change, I'd like to start it with Chapter 3.

I have no problem with it, provided that it is regular (which it appears to be, benefitting from the time zone difference). This would have been posted earlier, but I wanted to wait for the next update to save a post by including the following comment.

You have a good premise, as the sensibilities of the early 20th century certainly clash with those today. Generally shoujo attempts to be humorous and seriously strains (eh, generally disregards) suspension of disbelief in order to arrive at such humor (ie someone falls and manages to kiss someone). I say this only because I'm glad to see you haven't done anything of the sort, and indeed such is unnecessary given your premise.
uc pseudonym

Postby Gypsy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:41 am

It's pretty regular right now, I haven't missed an update yet. However, I've been really busy in the past couple weeks with my new job and I'm not as far ahead as I'd like to be.

UC, thanks for the compliment for how I've managed the plot so far, but I'll admit (and later you'll see) that I my story is very ... unorganized. While you may appreciate it now, it's apt to change tones. There is no falling and accidentally kissing anyone (although there is a joke about it) but it's still well withing the typical (and predictable, unfortunately) shoujo genre. This is my first complete project, and it's going to have lots of plot problems. ^^;
Gypsy

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:02 am

I should admit, Gypsey, that although this isn't the kind of manga (or any other format for that matter) that I usually read, I find "Skipping Tommorow" to be very good. I look forward to all updates as well.
bigsleepj

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:37 am

[quote="Gypsy"]UC, thanks for the compliment for how I've managed the plot so far, but I'll admit (and later you'll see) that I my story is very ... unorganized. While you may appreciate it now, it's apt to change tones. There is no falling and accidentally kissing anyone (although there is a joke about it) but it's still well withing the typical (and predictable, unfortunately) shoujo genre. This is my first complete project, and it's going to have lots of plot problems. ^^]

That's perfectly understandable. Do you want me to comment in the future upon my feelings as to the predictability (which, sadly, is one thing many people like about the genre) and the plot? I can't help at all when it comes to art, but storywriting is something to which I can contribute.
uc pseudonym

Postby Gypsy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:03 pm

Yeah, if you wouldn't mind. I can see some of the weaknesses already. I'm familiar with writing, but relying on art to tell half of the story has proven to be hard for me. Any "insight from the outside" that you could offer would be great.
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:46 pm

Glad to hear it. Would you be interested in strictly story-related comments, or comments on manga style in general as well? I can't claim to be an expert on the latter, but that doesn't mean I can't try to be helpful.

I'm going to reread the first two chapters as a whole and then give you a more detailed response, if I find I have anything to say.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mave » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:43 pm

Gypsy wrote:Now my question is, does this schedule work for my regular readers, or would you prefer that I change the update schedule?

For myself, it doesn't really matter. I generally check on my fav. webmangas whenever I find the time to do so, which can range from everyday to once every 2-3 weeks.

The only traffic outside of CAA members I get is clicks from kcome.net (yays for Mave!) so it's all your opinions that I'm interested in.

Glad to hear that linking works. :)

I generally prefer giving comments on a chapter basis so I will need to reread the chapters again as a whole. I'll give you this feedback when I eh.....make the time for it. :sweat:
Mave

Postby Gypsy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:59 am

I'd be glad for any comments that either of you would like to give concerning art or story.

- I know that Jennifer looked too young to be a mother, but I was thinking about it the other day and I realized I did draw her like that for a reason - it's just not going to make sense until ... chapter 6 I think.

- I also need to work harder on backgrounds, as much as I hate to do so. As much fun as designing all the details about Shawn's apartment was, it's not a whole lot of fun to keep drawing it at different angles.

- I changed coloring styles at the beginning of chapter 2 (going from soft shading to a more cell shaded look) and that was probably a booboo to so mid-chapter. Does anyone prefer one to the other, or does it not really affect the overall look of the art?

- To the horror of non-shoujo readers, I've noticed that the eyes are gradually getting bigger. I'm not sure whether to apologize or laugh. I'll try not to let them get too crazy. ^^;

- If there seems to be a huge difference between the chapter cover art and the actual manga art, it's because the special art for the covers are far more recently drawn. Same coloring styles, but different line art.

- The site in general is clunky, I know and I'm sorry. When I get more spare time (I still have to work on Chronicles of Tairis) I plan on learning some new stuff that will improve my web design.

All that being said, I have bad news: I think I'm going to miss my first update today. The first page of chapter 3 is still lying in pieces - some of it isn't even scanned in yet. I'm going to do my best to get it up before midnight, but I doubt it will happen. From what most of you have said, I'll assume that this isn't going to matter, but it bothers me to no end. Oh, and I'm also sorry of doing the lame trick of using a chapter cover as an update. ^^; (I feel like the hot springs lady from Fruits Basket ... it's tempting to dive under a throw rug, crawl in fast circles and apologize at the top of my lungs.)
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:07 am

Almost all of the art details you mentioned do not bother me in the slightest.

Gypsy wrote:I'd be glad for any comments that either of you would like to give concerning art or story.

I did send you an e-mail... but it might have been to an old or unused account. Did you receive such a thing? If not, give me a reliable account and I can resend it (I hope).

Gypsy wrote:All that being said, I have bad news: I think I'm going to miss my first update today.

Thank you for telling us, at least.
uc pseudonym

Postby Gypsy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:25 am

I didn't get an email from you, but that's my fault for not having my current info up. The address that I used for years (my msn one) recently got toasted, so it can't really forward my mail anymore. Sorry about that, UC. My new one is gypsy at hoodiegypsy.com. If you did send something to that one, I have no excuse as to why I didn't receive it.

EDIT: Oh, and I did miss the update. I'm really sorry and I'm going to try hard to get the page up tonight.
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:20 am

The e-mail has been resent. I was just using old contact data, probably from some ancient Pilgrim's Progress correspondance.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mave » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:56 am

It's Ok, Gypsy. I haven't been able to check the updates myself but I must say, poor Shawn! I didn't know the poor fellow was gonna get kicked out of his own place. Hehe
Mave

Postby Gypsy » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:32 am

I feel pretty stupid bumping one of my own threads. I'm sorry, I missed one update completely, and then I was late on the next one. (I put up two new pages last night.) I'd give a list of excuses, but I think that would count as whining. Laying blame is more fun anyway. So, in short, my recent horrible schedule is all Runescape's fault, Halo 2's fault, and three very good fiction books' fault. I've neglected books (you know, manga with no art and all words) for so long that lately I've been reading anything I can get my hands on. Part of this is because I don't have funds (or time) to buy/watch/read any new anime/manga. And ... I've totally strayed from my point.

On to more bad news. My faithful few readers, please brace yourself for some horrible scripting and lack of essential small events that push a story along in the already unfolding chapter 3. Although I can't remember the details, I think I ODed on stupid pills the week I wrote the script and layout for chapter 3. I'm trying to adjust it as I go along, but I can't fix everything. Please bear with me through "Letting Our Hair Down" and I *think* I can make up for it later.

UC, thanks again for your email - your insight is very helpful. I'm done spamming now. ^^;
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:07 am

Gypsy wrote:I feel pretty stupid bumping one of my own threads.

On the contrary. I discerned fairly early this week that you must have some problem on your end, so I decided to wait until you found equilibrium. Because of this post, I now know when to check your site again.

Other than that, my only real comment is that the page title "Donk" is funny, though I may have some comments about these pages at the end of this chapter.
uc pseudonym

Postby Gypsy » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:21 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I may have some comments about these pages at the end of this chapter.

Yes, I'm banking on it. This is where some very lame jokes at the expense of typical shoujo appear. Scripting error number one - do not split a joke in half by a page because it will kill the effect completely (unless a pause is absolutely necessary, and in this case, it is not) - especially if it was lame to begin with. I dunno, maybe I watched too much Ranma 1/2 that week or something - that and I find something funny about old fashioned undergarments in general. It's probably something I should have kept to myself rather than putting in into my manga, though. :sweat:
Gypsy

Postby Mave » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:09 am

Gypsy wrote:I feel pretty stupid bumping one of my own threads. I'm sorry, I missed one update completely, and then I was late on the next one. (I put up two new pages last night.) I'd give a list of excuses, but I think that would count as whining. Laying blame is more fun anyway.

Aw Gypsy, your readers aren't going to stab you to death, just because you have a life (doing other things and have other priorities). At least, I know I wouldn't.

I've neglected books (you know, manga with no art and all words) for so long that lately I've been reading anything I can get my hands on. Part of this is because I don't have funds (or time) to buy/watch/read any new anime/manga. And ... I've totally strayed from my point.

Actually, this is the same case with me. I've neglected books and movies during my grad school term, it's pretty awkward to say that I have to balance my time between mangakaing and other things I want to (reading, watching TV). Such is life.

On to more bad news. My faithful few readers, please brace yourself for some horrible scripting and lack of essential small events that push a story along in the already unfolding chapter 3. Although I can't remember the details, I think I ODed on stupid pills the week I wrote the script and layout for chapter 3. I'm trying to adjust it as I go along, but I can't fix everything. Please bear with me through "Letting Our Hair Down" and I *think* I can make up for it later.

As long as it's nothing horribly obscene or blasphemous, I don't think there's any problem. I've graced my readers with lousy scripting and lame jokes....they seem pretty tolerant so far. :lol:
Mave

Postby shooraijin » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:48 am

Gypsy wrote:Yes, I'm banking on it. This is where some very lame jokes at the expense of typical shoujo appear. Scripting error number one - do not split a joke in half by a page because it will kill the effect completely (unless a pause is absolutely necessary, and in this case, it is not) - especially if it was lame to begin with. I dunno, maybe I watched too much Ranma 1/2 that week or something - that and I find something funny about old fashioned undergarments in general. It's probably something I should have kept to myself rather than putting in into my manga, though. :sweat:

*doesn't follow*

This almost makes it sound like Happosai is about to pop out of a closet or something :sweat:
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mave » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:57 am

I like the latest page: I think it portrays Emma's feelings pretty well. Poor confused gal!
Mave

Previous Next

Return to Webmanga/comics