Tic Tac Toe Joe

Calling all self-proclaimed mangaka!

Tic Tac Toe Joe

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:10 am

NOTE FOR CLARITY
This post and the initial discussion no longer apply. Go to the second thread and beyond for actual discussion. But as for what does apply...

Minimum Age: Eh. This is light-hearted parody. There's no serious negative content but children may not understand.
Violence: 2
Language: 0
Sexual Content: 0
Nudity: 0
Bad Religion: 1 (there's a ghost, which should bother no one)

THE OLD POST:
At the moment I'm hashing through a new idea of mine. In my humble opinion, it is one of my best, funniest and dumbest of all time. It will be a short manga, basically a one-shot, though probably 20+ pages.

Basically, it's a parody of assorted manga based on games. Have you ever noticed that the individuals involved get way too obsessed with a simple game, overexplain everything that happens and generally act overly dramatic? I certainly have. This manga idea makes fun of every single game cliche I could think of, plus a few things that are just there for stupidity sake.

Our main character's name is Joe. He's an average guy until he picks up a pencil that contains the spirit of an ancient person who has remained on the planet because he is obsessed with an ancient game. It is called "Death Squares" and used to be played with dark magic. He drags Joe into a tournament, in which he runs into a cast of bizarre people.

The catch? "Death Squares" is actually tic-tac-toe. Furthermore, Joe is the only normal person in the bunch, the only one who realizing how mind numbingly simple the game is. I can only speak for myself, but I think what I have planned is quite funny.

The art really doesn't have to be that great, nor that detailed. You would have to draw one or two things well, everything else can be sloppy, just as long as the sloppiness is funny.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fsiphskilm » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:48 pm

Oh I get it...Joe takes a second,
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:16 am

Furthermore, there will be many dramatic panels in which a person does nothing but mark an x or o. And people being constantly awed by whatever anyone played.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fsiphskilm » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:25 pm

Wouldn't that get a bit repedative?
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:30 pm

Yes, and that's quite the point. Yay!

No, in all seriousness, I mainly just use it in the match that I'm parodying that particular trait. Plus, we have a variety of individuals doing various dramatic things, so they shouldn't become too redundant.
uc pseudonym

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:20 pm

This kinda sounds like Hikaru No Go...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Vampi » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:37 am

....how....stupid................that has got to be one of the most over dramatized things in the world........I like it..........
Vampi

Postby Psycho Ann » Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:34 am

LOL! UC, I acutally had a similiar idea to draw a "shonen sports manga" just like that. Everything is blown WAY out of proportion and even for simple things they got these "death moves" and what not. (I was planning on doing one for the music simulation game Drum Mania... lol, that was just insane)

You get the idea after manga like Hikaru no Go, Cooking Master Boy, Break Shoot, Captain Tsubasa, ect ect. Man, who knew even cooking could be a life and death deathmatch with legendary utensils forged by the Gods? XD

I know I really shouldn't be adding up another pile of work on my already overflowing stuff to do... but I really would like the honor of making this paraody manga with you, UC ^^ Besides, it's about time I put my shonen dramatics into pratice XD

PM me the details if you'll put up with me ^^
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Mave » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:06 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing this little project materializing...keep us updated Ok? ;) You go, Ann and UC!
Mave

Postby inkhana » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:11 pm

Yeah! You guys go for it! :thumb:

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:30 pm

I'm amazed you agreed, Psycho Ann, but I'd be happy to work with you. I am really relaxed about this, so you can feel free to take some time.

Now, I need to get working on my storyboard... I'll pm you and e-mail you whenever I get something done. This inspires me to work, though.
uc pseudonym

Postby JediSonic » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:21 pm

This is going to be SO AWESOME :) One of the best writers I know + one of the best artists I know + great idea = SO AWESOME!! :jump::grin::lol::does a little dance:
JediSonic

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:14 am

You wanted updates? I sent five pages to Ann. We'll see if she doesn't like the new storyboarding style I'm doing (we decided on a semi-structured style, which I'm not familiar with at all).
uc pseudonym

Postby Psycho Ann » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:51 am

Lol, I'll get right to it, it really shouldn't take me too long--UC's a great writer ^^
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.

Psycho Ann

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:21 pm

Hikaru no go? It sounds like Yugioh to me... I've never seen Hikaru no go, but the whole "black magic to play tic-tac-toe" thing sounds like Yugioh. I thought that's what you were making fun of at first... how dramatic everyone gets over everything.

"Oh he laid a butterball sidesplatter card with a +2 attack and a rare meatwad edition syphon filter solid!" Person 1 says.
Person 2: "Gasp!"
Person 3: "Shock!"
Person 4: "Scree!"
Person 5: "Oh!"
Person 6: "He DIDN'T! NO!"
Person 7: "Hehehehe"

"Oh, but wait, Yugi's putting a ultrarare and powerful s-class vienna ancient egyption dog muffin card down!" Person 1 says
Person 6: "Gasp!"
Person 5: "Shock!"
Person 3: "Scree!"
Person 4: "Oh!"
Person 7: "He DIDN'T! NO!"
Person 2: "Hehehehe"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:12 am

Oh, Yu Gi Oh is definitely getting parodied as well. And a number of other game manga, as well as various trends. And some stuff purely for the sake of being there.

Progress check, though as I've said before I'm really relaxed about getting this done:
Rough Script COMPLETE
Final Script CHAPTER 1 COMPLETE
Drawing 4 PAGES

I assume when chapter one is complete it will go on Psycho Ann's site.
uc pseudonym

Postby Psycho Ann » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:21 am

Let me just bump this in an update:

- Final script complete. Revisions as we go.
- 7 pages of issue #1 sketches are green-lighted with minor corrections.
* Summary: Issue #1 : 29% done *

News: Might be a bit early to announce this, but look forward to the complete manga on May 2005 (yes, that is a specific month, makes you wonder no? XD). Periodically, maybe we could post some teaser images for you guys to see and reveal more and more stuff later on.

And guys, whatever you're expecting this to be, it's going to exceed your expectations. Took me long enough to finish laughing my head off at the script to get some of it on paper. ^^

UC, maybe you could probably might as well make this into a 'formal' T3J thread (or make a new thread and lock this one) just so people won't get confused by the title upon first glance.

Psycho Ann

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:39 am

It has been done. Yes, hopefully we can update here periodically and the final product will be done by the end of May.

Perhaps we could throw out a few teasers on occasion. Some later panels spring to mind that could work fairly well.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:14 am

*twitch*

We wants it, yesssssss....
Mithrandir

Postby Mave » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:30 pm

*echoes OldPhil*

Bring it on! XD XD You have my support!
Mave

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:49 pm

I am glad to hear that people are positive about this. It motivates me (though I am uncertain as to what exactly it motivates me to do, because my role is fairly minor at this point). When the final product is complete, I hope that it lives up to the hype.
uc pseudonym

Postby JediSonic » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:06 pm

When can we hope for that to be? :)
JediSonic

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:44 am

If all goes well, we will sell complete volumes (actually only about 100 pages) at Fanime 2005, which is at the end of May. Following this, we will be releasing it for free on Ann's website an issue at a time.
uc pseudonym

Postby Psycho Ann » Mon May 16, 2005 7:01 am

Update update, if all goes well, then the first two issues will be available at the Fanime 2005. ^^ And as a teaser, here's a quick sketch of Joe.

As for the website, Volt is going to be handling it so expect it out sometime in the next two weeks. Thanks for the support everyone!

Psycho Ann

Postby Mave » Tue May 17, 2005 11:08 pm

It looks great! *0*)// Yeah, way to go!
Mave

Postby Pent » Wed May 18, 2005 2:36 pm

This is such a great idea! I can't wait to see the final product.
Pent

Postby Vampi » Sat May 21, 2005 6:58 am

VERY nice.
Vampi

Postby Felix » Wed May 25, 2005 12:44 pm

WoO! ^^/ I can't wait to see this!!
Felix

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed May 25, 2005 6:30 pm

Well, wish us luck with the first issue. Theoretically, just two days from now it will be "released." At that point we may have a site to show you, but please don't hold your breath.
uc pseudonym

Postby true_noir_chloe » Thu May 26, 2005 9:41 am

Wow, this is exciting, Ann and UC! I can't hardly wait to see how this turns out. That looks like the perfect "Joe." ^____^

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Next

Return to Webmanga/comics