KingdomCome webmanga

Calling all self-proclaimed mangaka!

Postby Syreth » Tue May 09, 2006 12:04 am

On page 10, Gil is holding a baby and I find that exceptionally funny. XD I could just imagine... showing up at someone's house and them being like, "Here! Hold our baby!" "Uh, okay..." *awkward* I really like your humor in these recent pages! :thumb:
Syreth

Postby Gypsy » Tue May 09, 2006 1:24 pm

Mave, if there is such a thing as a non-squealing fangirl, you've turned me into a Doug fangirl of sorts in the way that he's the character that resonates the most with me. I've looked out from his point of view before, and you're nailing it. Keep up the awesome work, and I can't wait for the next update!
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Mave » Tue May 09, 2006 5:09 pm

XD Always a pleasure, folks, although I have to give some cool points to Sy for pointing out that particular observation I didn't think most would have noticed.

I've just thought of something: I've got a bit of Kim, a bit of Abel, a bit of Gil, a bit of Doug (oh yeah, I've got some good amount of cynicism) in me....the list goes on. I'm suspecting this isn't unusual among other writers and artists to mold bits and pieces of themselves into their characters.

....right? (<.<); (>.>);

In the next few months, I'll be quite occupied with job searching (How hard can it be to find a scientist position? Ugh.), relocating back to Asia and figuring out the future with a highly potential significant other right now in some other country. But I'll do my best in the name of consistency but the updates won't be as regular as I would like them to be for a while.
Mave

Postby Mave » Sun May 14, 2006 9:07 am

Personal rantings aside, page 14 and 15 have been added.
Mave

Postby Mave » Mon May 22, 2006 7:22 pm

I apologize for this bump. It is not an actual update but rather an announcement that my activity online will be minimized due to more urgent personal matters. It's most likely that I'll keep updating the manga pages but I will not post announcements or follow discussions here from now on until August.

Thank you for your kind attention. God bless. ^^
Mave

Postby Gypsy » Wed May 31, 2006 7:10 pm

Sorry ... I couldn't stand to see this in the archives. ^^;
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby RubyJewelStone » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:31 pm

Wowie! I love this webmanga!
I started reading it a while ago and bookmarked it, but X-P...

But every once in a while I rediscover things I bookmarked (that's how I joined CAA) and jump back in.

LOVE it! =^.^=
I believe in the sun even if it isn't shining. I believe in love even when I am alone. I believe in God even when he is silent.
~Author Unknown
RubyJewelStone

Postby c.t.,girl » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:43 pm

@.@ need moooorrre....need moooorrrrrrrrrrrrrre! D: so good!
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:45 pm

I know the feeling, c.t. girl - I know the feeling. ^^
Gypsy

Postby Mave » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:31 pm

The webmanga has been resumed: Chapter 7 begins. XD

Thank you for your attention and patience.
Mave

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:59 pm

Wow, I didn't expect you back yet for some reason. Things begin moving once again, and questions may yet be answered... [Not that I expected they wouldn't.]
uc pseudonym

Postby mssthang_1 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:00 pm

i can't wait to see more of the manga... it's awesome
mssthang_1

Postby Mave » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:14 am

Added the next few pages.....

I have to comment that it may be a challenge matching up the earlier chapters with the new developments.

On one side, I could be anxious and fuss about how this series can be completed properly. On the other side, I'm pretty interested to see what creative explanation I'm going to concoct by the end of this series. Despite being too ambitious, I'm hoping that I'll finish this series by mid next year.
Mave

Postby meboeck » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:33 am

Yay! Updates! *goes off to read*
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Gypsy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:32 pm

Mave wrote:I'm pretty interested to see what creative explanation I'm going to concoct by the end of this series.

:lol:

Isn't that always the way? I have perfect faith in you, though. ^^
Gypsy

Postby Mave » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:16 am

Eh, should I continue to post here everytime I place an update or does it ever get annoying that I keep bumping the thread almost each week? :eh:

Anyway, a relatively early submission for the week since I'll be out of town for the weekend. 2 pages added.

OT: Ohhhh...backgrounds ohhh, how I hate drawing 'em! (>_<);;;
Mave

Postby meboeck » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:04 am

LOL, I loved that little artist's note. XD
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

KingdomCome webmanga

Postby unknown_girl » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:13 am

KingdomCome was like the first Christian Manga I had ever seen. Hope you update again soon! :)
"What if..."
I lose my job?
someone in my family dies?
I run out of food and water?
there's a nuclear war?
I give all my worries to God and don't have to ask "what if" anymore? :)
unknown_girl

Postby Esoteric » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:57 pm

[quote="Mave"]OT: Ohhhh...backgrounds ohhh, how I hate drawing 'em! (>_<)]

:lol: But they really do add to the atmosphere. They look nice! Love the palm trees...
Esoteric

Postby c.t.,girl » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:00 pm

xD haha i BET you hate backgrounds! nice job though!!
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:04 pm

Mave wrote:Eh, should I continue to post here everytime I place an update or does it ever get annoying that I keep bumping the thread almost each week?

As long as you are updating fairly irregularly I think it is a good idea. I certainly appreciate it, anyway. But I'm fairly confident that in any case people won't find it annoying or bumping for posts. You put more work into those pages than into an average post anyway.
uc pseudonym

Postby Swordguy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:41 am

hey great manga, read it all two days ago loved it...backgrounds are about teh only thing i can draw...well and you have any clue what it is
I used to "Follow" Him because i had to....now i would give everything to follow Him.

Me check it out!

Quest for the True Grail

rei wrote:"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."

[quote="The forgoten"] .â€
Swordguy

Location: The Largest chunk of concrete these united states know.

Postby Mave » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:16 am

Swordguy: Thanks for your word of encouragement. I could always use that. Seriously. ^^

UC: OK dokie, I'll just keep posting everytime I get the chance to update.

Background fans: Alright you ppl, I'll keep drawing those darn backgrounds.

Latest Update: Chapter 7 ~ Page 7-8

Releasing these pages felt like FOREVER. I have no idea why. Anyway, I have a ramble and a confession to make.

Ramble: I faced/will be facing some delays in updating my webmanga because I don't have easy access to a scanner. The only way to make updates is to run over to a friend's house (yes, 'run', not 'drive'). I was planning to add 4 pages this week but thought that would be overkill.

Speaking of overkill, is it me or are my pages getting overtoned again? AAAAHHH! If ppl like it, I'll keep doing this though even if it'll take more time to get pages out.

Confession: The next few pages are intended to be experimental art-wise rather than to be contributory to the actual plot. :hits_self I've been itching to see a little more action and Doug was more than happy to oblige. For action scenes, Rurouni Kenshin and Black Cat manga are my current references so don't be surprised to see any familiar scenes/presentations. I don't intend to plagiarize! The only way I can learn is by imitation. (>_<) ;;

As a whole, I intend to experiment a little more with shapes of panels, and different types of tones. In the next 2 pages (Pages 9-10), the results (hopefully) will be more apparent, along with an extensive post of personal comments.

I'm not particularly feeling confident with the storyline (nuts, I've been feeling lousy as a whole) but I think the most important thing is to keep pushing on even when I don't feel like it at all. Many times I question my storytelling capabilities, but have no choice but to go by 'trial and error." Thanks everyone for bearing with my shortcomings.

Alrighty, off to bed. Never knew toning only 2 pages could be so tiring. LOL
Mave

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:42 pm

I'm liking this flashback as a whole, and I think it works well to bring back this aspect of Doug's character (defending other people's beliefs). My only piece of constructive criticism is that what happens between pages 7 and 8 isn't very clear. This is only my opinion, but I would have caught it much quicker if we'd seen the guy get hit with liquid, some reaction shots, an image of the mug, then what was on the next page, though closer.

...I sound like I think I know what I'm talking about.
uc pseudonym

Major Update: Website Move

Postby Mave » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:21 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:My only piece of constructive criticism is that what happens between pages 7 and 8 isn't very clear. This is only my opinion, but I would have caught it much quicker if we'd seen the guy get hit with liquid, some reaction shots, an image of the mug, then what was on the next page, though closer.

...I sound like I think I know what I'm talking about.

XD I think you do. That is good feedback. I just drew those panels without giving them a second thought. :eh: In the page after this (page 9), there is one panel that (should) confirm what just happened. Once I release that page, do let me know if it helps to wrap the whole confusion up.

I think you're gonna have a roll commenting on the next pages as we all scramble around the confusion of action panels. XD Fufufufu......

***********WEBSITE MOVE***********

Moving from the States to the Asian region does have its disadvantages. Losing webhosting service for one. However, there are gains through losing. And what better gain is it than to have Psycho Ann generously offer to host my webmanga. *applause*

No fear, hosted comics (i.e. Syreth's Kardia and Uriah's comics) also moves along with Kcome. Pls be patient as all links are gradually updated.

Kcome.net has been moved to a new server ---> http://kcome.psychoteers.com

Dear readers, please update your links. Also, pls inform me if there are any broken links or missing files.

Forever grateful,
Mave
Mave

Postby Mave » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:01 pm

As promised, 2 pages of bumbling and wonderfully confusing action panels. :sweat:

But that's OK. Yeah, chill.. Mave. You've got to start somewhere. *psyches herself*

One day....one day.....ONE DAY, I'll draw awesome shonen manga scenes. Just you wait!
Mave

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:22 pm

You're much too hard on yourself. It's more clear than a great deal of mainstream professional shojo. Let me see what I have to say in my one small area of expertise.

Page 9
1: I personally don't like punching panels, but some shonen manga-ka do. A preference thing, really.
2: But it is good that you follow it up with this.
3: Not bad. Doug is clear and the movement looks good. It could improve if we could see his attacker more clearly - that is his arm punching, right? For example, you could have rotated the angle just a bit to the left.
4-6: It is very clear what happens, but the exact positioning of the blow makes me squint in an odd fashion. This is partially because the movement of the hand looks down as opposed to sideways, but there's a limited amount you can do with that. All I can think of is a panel in which we see Doug from the front behind the guy, just as he begins to move. On the bright side, the final panel succeeds in being cool.
7-9: This works.

Page 10
1-3: No comment now.
4: As I assume you guessed, this panel isn't the clearest. Again, it might help to have panned back a bit so that we could see a bit more of the movement.
5-7: These help so that the readers understand what happened. Really, this sequence communicated fairly clearly.

Interesting that Doug reacts to being called a freak. I wonder what's behind that. Also, the eyes near the bottom of page 10 struck me as funny.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mave » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:53 pm

Page 9
1: I personally don't like punching panels, but some shonen manga-ka do. A preference thing, really.

I know Watsuki does. XD He was the reference for this panel.

3: Not bad. Doug is clear and the movement looks good. It could improve if we could see his attacker more clearly - that is his arm punching, right? For example, you could have rotated the angle just a bit to the left.

I absolutely agree. After completing these pages (after toning/inking/texting), I looked back and realized that I should have made the opponents a little more clear. It didn't help that both villians has similar shades in their clothing.

4-6: It is very clear what happens, but the exact positioning of the blow makes me squint in an odd fashion. This is partially because the movement of the hand looks down as opposed to sideways, but there's a limited amount you can do with that.

Once again, I agree as well. I should have made Panel 5 swing downwards or at least fairly horizontal.

On the bright side, the final panel succeeds in being cool.

Thank God, that was the intention. I did fret over his position but I tried to imitate the realistic physical rebound Doug would have after handchopping the guy from the back.

Page 10
4: As I assume you guessed, this panel isn't the clearest. Again, it might help to have panned back a bit so that we could see a bit more of the movement.

As a whole, I learnt that perhaps it's a good idea to spread action panels a little bit more. For example, I could have made it more effective by expanding them across 3 pages (instead of squeezing everything into 2) and reserving more panels to help readers understand the sequence better.

Also, the eyes near the bottom of page 10 struck me as funny.

The last few panels were my favourites because I thought the eyes were funny and I fulfilled a few more laws of anime/manga

Law 1) When villians are flung around, the force of gravity is lessened, thus making them soar twice as high as they would in real life.

Law 2) When a cool character is ticked off, they are granted superpower strength to pwn their opponent.

Interesting that Doug reacts to being called a freak. I wonder what's behind that.

It was originally meant to be very offensive (maybe something that starts with an 'a' or 'b') but I thought that would go fairly sour among the readers. If freak isn't offensive enough, how does eh.. dumba** sound or maybe I should just censor it to leave it to the reader's imagination? :sweat:
Mave

Postby c.t.,girl » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:48 pm

*__________* i love your work so much. i always check to see if you've done anything new. x3 yay! keep up the good work!

c.t.,girl

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:49 pm

Mave wrote:I know Watsuki does. XD He was the reference for this panel.

Actually, I thought it seemed RK-reminiscent at the time but didn't mention it. Again, this is a preference thing, but I think it is the cheap way out.

Mave wrote:Thank God, that was the intention. I did fret over his position but I tried to imitate the realistic physical rebound Doug would have after handchopping the guy from the back.

Interesting... from the stance I assumed that Doug had stiff-armed him more than chopping his back. Not what you intended, but it still works.

Mave wrote:As a whole, I learnt that perhaps it's a good idea to spread action panels a little bit more. For example, I could have made it more effective by expanding them across 3 pages (instead of squeezing everything into 2) and reserving more panels to help readers understand the sequence better.

That's what is generally done. Look at some mainstream shonen series... there will be 2-3 panels per page. While I think that is a bit much, having larger panels does allow for clearer shots.

Mave wrote:It was originally meant to be very offensive (maybe something that starts with an 'a' or 'b') but I thought that would go fairly sour among the readers. If freak isn't offensive enough, how does eh.. dumba** sound or maybe I should just censor it to leave it to the reader's imagination?

Ah, I see. I was thinking that Doug had a personal reason to take offense. I'm not sure what I recommend there; it's simply a difficult situation. However, since I think you have completely censored words in the past, that might be a good option to use here.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Webmanga/comics