June 2007 Original Character Contest!

Win the competitions and get free cookies! (sorry for lame description, perhaps Ink can come up with a better one)

June 2007 Original Character Contest!

Postby Esoteric » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:20 am

Could a mod please move this to the Art Contest Forum? Thanks!!

All right folks, here's this month's theme: Armor!

Your original character must use some sort of protective gear. It could be ancient metal armor, or some futuristic plastic. It could even be an alien with a turtle-like shell, or a stunt junkie with motocross body-armor. Be creative! The armor does not need to offer complete coverage either (it could just be a helmet or a glove). So let's see some original ideas!

For those of you who are new, this is a fun little contest where people draw a character and create a short biography to go along with it. All entries must be posted before the end of the month, at which time Jaden Mental will announce the winner. If you have questions, feel free to ask.
Esoteric

Postby soul alive » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:58 pm

Awesome. I'm pretty sure I can participate in this one! I at least have one old drawing that would work, if I don't have time for a new one.

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

*runs off*
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Aileen Kailum » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:51 am

Hmm... armor.... *thinks*

This contest sounds like fun! I'll have to make sure to enter.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:24 pm

Oh... I might enter this one...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby CreatureArt » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:40 am

:waves:

If I can manage to put something together between going to Wellington next week and starting Uni in late July then it looks like a fun concept. Either way, it sounds like an idea that could produce more than a few good entries.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:05 pm

So, alright. I've got my submission, and this is my first contest. My question is, where do I submit it?
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Esoteric » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:22 pm

Etoh*the*Greato wrote:So, alright. I've got my submission, and this is my first contest. My question is, where do I submit it?

The answer is...right here! Entries should be posted in this thread via an attachment, or if you wish to upload the image somewhere else (like imageshack) then just provide the link here.
I can't wait to see your entry and I hope some of you other people have time to enter as well. (this thread was buried so long I almost gave up hope on it!)
Esoteric

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:11 pm

hehe I have an idea...bwahhaa *cough*

*gets to work*
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:54 pm

I've never had a thing to do with these contests, but I'm the first person to notice. Have I moved this to the right place?
uc pseudonym

Postby Esoteric » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:37 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I've never had a thing to do with these contests, but I'm the first person to notice. Have I moved this to the right place?

Normally the contests are moved here...
http://www.christiananime.net/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=40

But as Eeyore would say, "Thanks for noticin' me." ;)
Esoteric

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:14 pm

Um, yeah, I moved it again. Someone, please, strike me with a daisy if it belongs in the art contest submission forum where UC put it. I think we're both stabbing out in the dark here. :lol:
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:01 am

XD here is my entry!!

whenever I think of protective gear I think of being inside a bubble where no one can harm you, and no germs can get in. XD

So I created this little guy today.

His name is Gulliver. And he is a germaphobe piglet. He is so scared of getting sick or dirty. He won't touch slop, and he sticks to a very healthy diet of vegetables and fruit.

His two best friends, Gus and Beth are worried about him. But they know that's just who he is. They love mud, even if Gulliver doesnt.

So yeah! XD I had fun with this...Taking a filthy animal and making it scared of dirt and stuff..

now I want to write a story about him XD
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Esoteric » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:39 am

A bubble? What a very cool idea! Right on, excellent entry, Kit-chan.
Esoteric

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:46 am

Alright! I couldn't upload to here so I put it on my Deviant Art like I was going to anyway. Yes, this is an original character, no he does not come from an original world. This is an artistic take on my Bloodelf from WoW back when I played. As the comment on the page says, all the armor, weaponry, etc, is original drawn fresh from my steaming brain. ^-^
This guy is a Paladin for the Bloodelves, captain of the Bloodguard an exploratory force seeking out enemies of his people.
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/58096812/
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Esoteric » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:34 pm

Very cool art style, Etoh! I especially love the atmospheric effects in the picture--they came out wonderfully. Nice entry!
Esoteric

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:42 pm

Thankyou! I'm still figuring it all out, but I'd say I'm coming along. ^-^
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:31 pm

There is no back ground, I know XD

Gideon has served years as the Emperor's personal guard and his loyalty to the royal family runs deep.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Esoteric » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:54 pm

Holy cow, Shao! XD That's an awesome entry, even without a background.
Esoteric

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:15 pm

Trust me, a real background would cause me to loose points XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:09 pm

tee hee...
Shao wins!!! I lose. XD
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby soul alive » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:38 am

CK - adorable entry. Clever take on the concept. The piggy is just too cute. *pinches its cheeks*

Etoh - Awesome design, I like all the little details, especially the scales/chains in his armor.

Shao - Wow - I like his design, especially the armor and weaponry, a lot. Lovely coloring, too.

--

So I didn't have time to do a whole new drawing, but I did put a more involved background on a previous drawing that I still had a pretty high-res character art for. The background is a vectored screenshot from Gladiator, ran through filters.

Art:

Character Description:

Name: Azriel (means 'God's Help' in Hebrew)
Personality: Commanding and stern, but kind.
Rank: Azriel is a Power (rank of Governor Angel), serves under Michael, commands a legion of angels (I will refer to Azriel as 'he', as that is the appearance he takes when in human form)

Background:
Fiercely loyal, and a good strategist and leader, Azriel was placed near the top of the chain of command of the army of the angelic host. Being on the front lines for much of the spiritual warfare throughout the centuries, he gained much first-hand experience with mankind, good and bad.

His present mission is to lead a small skeleton team of other angelic soldiers, their purpose to infiltrate the demonic hordes that have overrun a civilization of humans, in Roman times. The team is to gather humans aware, or soon to be aware, of the situation, and help prepare them for a battle for freedom. Reinforcements from the angelic host wait for word on the situation.

In order to blend in with their current surroundings, Azriel and other members of his team wear armor and garbs of the Roman civilization. Azriel himself wears lorica segmentata over his torso, and a kilt of plated leather. His usual plumed helmet and wrist guards have yet to be put on.

--

:edit: Azriel is a character who will be appearing in my webcomic, A Cruce Salus. The background blurb was TOUGH to write, as anything more involved would be huge spoilers for the story. Gah! I even hesitated to put that much down.
... no, I don't hoard my story plans... *glances away quickly*
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Esoteric » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:46 am

Verrrry cool, soul alive, so glad you could enter!

A very nice bio too. I think most people like hide their story plans...I know I do! ;)
Esoteric

Postby Dante » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:28 pm

Sees incredibly scary (In a good way) art realizes times about to run out... gives up :P. Those are some AWESOME character designs guys! Great job!
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby soul alive » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:17 pm

*pokes Pascal* Don't give up! We'd love to see another of your awesomely wild and crazy entries.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Dante » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:45 am

To be honest the real reason is because I've been so busy lately with Nations and States and what not... I did create two drawings this month, but neither are applicable to this contest.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Aileen Kailum » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:36 pm

Cool entries, everyone!

I've actually managed to come up with a solid idea... but I need to buckle down and draw the picture... I still have time!
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Dai-go » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:11 am

Alrighty. After a few long days of hard work:hits_self! (and fustration :dizzy: ) here it is:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/58692516/
:P First time entry! ^_^

---Commentary---
Elior is a character for a project I'm working on in the Legend of Basiliea series, whch is a historical-fiction-fantasy series taking from both fact and myth.
I've only got about 8 character backstories written out, and have a plot outline of what I'm going for.
Comic Mini-series are awesome ^__^;; But this'll be more like a quazi-mini-series. 15 issues probably. XD

Gah well. Bio time.

---Bio----
Name: Elior
Class: Soldier
Elior is a young Basilian child, born Amit, of 14 who lives with his widowed mother. The two take on a job at a local tavern in the city which they barely get by. His original name was changed when he recived the recently excavated stone called Ebenezer. After his run-in with an adventurer named Ehrd, he came into posession of the stone. When the seal over the stone was broken, it "sucked" itself into Amit's hand and became bound to his hand what seems like indefinitely. Afterwards, an entity who was bound to the stone named Alter promptly introduced himself and renamed the boy Elior. Because of Alter's presence, Elior now has a hightened sense of the world around him, which would frighten those who saw spirits everwhere, yet he remains comforted.

---Artistic Info---
Yeah, no background. XD I suck at backgrounds royally, so I'll practice...just not on this.
Used Photoshop Elements 3.0, and I fell in love with gradients. *_* After the initial character was done, I ended up putting random styles and effects on the right hand. After that, I posted it up on Deviant Art, but looked at the left finger, decided it was lonly, and I gave it a friend. :P

WHOOT! Done!

Now I can't wait to see Aileen's and Pascal's work. :jump:
Dai-go

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:45 pm

DaiGo I love your style! D:
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Jingo Jaden » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:56 pm

Wooohoo, quite a few awesome designs this time as well. Soon this month is over :)
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby soul alive » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:20 pm

Go, Aileen, go!
heh - it's okay Pascal, I was just giving you a hard time - hopefully you'll have time to participate next month.

And awesome entry Dai-go. You have a great art style.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Next

Return to Art Contests