Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby GeneD » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:15 am

Has anyone seen Princess Tutu? How is it? I have only seen a very good AMV on it, and I enjoyed it so much I want to see the anime and have reserved it to buy at a store (at a good price). But I still don't know really anything about it and I haven't seen a single episode.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Feebeefi » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:51 am

Can anyone recommend any good mecha anime to me? I've wanted to watch some for a while but I don't know where to start.

As a complete newbie to mecha anime which series would you recommend to get me going?

Also, is Code Geass worth watching?
Feebeefi

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:03 pm

GeneD (post: 1258702) wrote:Has anyone seen Princess Tutu? How is it? I have only seen a very good AMV on it, and I enjoyed it so much I want to see the anime and have reserved it to buy at a store (at a good price). But I still don't know really anything about it and I haven't seen a single episode.

I'm watching it right now. I'm about halfway through it. It's pretty good. There's a review for it on here.

All right, so I only have one episode of D.N.Angel left..... Any recommendations? Some I love are....
D.N.Angel
Cardcaptor Sakura
Fruits Basket
Tsubasa Chronicle

Some I like are...
Angelic Layer
Princess Tutu
Rurouni Kenshin
Pokemon
Sailor Moon
Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch

Some I've seen but I haven't seen enough episodes to really tell whether or not I like them yet....

Inu Yasha
Dragon Ball (dubbed)
Digimon
xxxHOLiC

I'm all right with magic so long as it's typical magical girl/magical boy superpower stuff. I would prefer nothing that would exceed a PG-13 rating, but if you have something in mind that *might* exceed that rating, you can let me know what's in it and I might consider it from there. I mainly like shows featuring a lot of superpower action with a bit of romance thrown into it, but I like a bit of everything. Mermaid Melody seems to be around the fluffiest I'd go, and I kind of like having various themes so if you have something in mind that I might like that is pretty different from these, go ahead and suggest away. I like variety. :)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby RobinSena » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:23 am

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1264352) wrote:I'm watching it right now. I'm about halfway through it. It's pretty good. There's a review for it on here.

All right, so I only have one episode of D.N.Angel left..... Any recommendations? Some I love are....
D.N.Angel
Cardcaptor Sakura
Fruits Basket
Tsubasa Chronicle

Some I like are...
Angelic Layer
Princess Tutu
Rurouni Kenshin
Pokemon
Sailor Moon

Some I've seen but I haven't seen enough episodes to really tell whether or not I like them yet....

Inu Yasha
Dragon Ball (dubbed)
Digimon
xxxHOLiC

I'm all right with magic so long as it's typical magical girl/magical boy superpower stuff. I would prefer nothing that would exceed a PG-13 rating, but if you have something in mind that *might* exceed that rating, you can let me know what's in it and I might consider it from there. I mainly like shows featuring a lot of superpower action with a bit of romance thrown into it, but I like a bit of everything. Mermaid Melody seems to be around the fluffiest I'd go, and I kind of like having various themes so if you have something in mind that I might like that is pretty different from these, go ahead and suggest away. I like variety. :)

While I've only seen the first episode(trying to collect the individual dvds) would you possibly be interested in Scrapped Princess?
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:05 am

Hmm, that does sound interesting.

Thanks man! ^^ I'll have to check it out.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:03 am

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1264352) wrote:I'm watching it right now. I'm about halfway through it. It's pretty good. There's a review for it on here.

D.N.Angel
Cardcaptor Sakura
Fruits Basket
Tsubasa Chronicle

Some I like are...
Angelic Layer
Princess Tutu
Rurouni Kenshin
Pokemon
Sailor Moon

Inu Yasha
Dragon Ball (dubbed)
Digimon
xxxHOLiC

You may like Air (aka Air TV). One of my favorite anime series along with DNAngel. Theres a review of it on here but I don't remember much objectionable content besides the theme of reincarnation. Also the art/animation is some of my favorite. Its a very beautiful and well done anime.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Sami_jane » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:51 pm

Elycien (post: 1252693) wrote:Question for anyone who has seen Spice and Wolf. I watched the opening of that because it was done by a composer I really like, and fell in love not just with the song but with the animation and artwork. There was a bit of non-detailed nudity in that opening, though, so I wondered if it got any worse than that? I'd like to watch it if the content's good, though, because the art's beautiful and the story sounds intriguing.

I didnt see anyone who replied to this and i know its a two month old post but i figured i would put it out there in case anyone was still wondering. Wolf and Spice is a short series (I absolutley love the opening as well.) and no there is no more nudity than what you saw in the opening. In fact she is only like that in the first episode and maby an ending one if i remember right. But i would reccommend the anime. its a great show. Its all about trading though.
Sami_jane

Postby Robin Firedrake » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:16 pm

I'm looking for any clean anime that a 13 year old boy might like to watch. As little magic as possible too please.
Robin Firedrake

Postby Aleolus » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:04 pm

Might I recommend, then, Samurai Pizza Cats? I just found it myself, and it looks like there would be no prob with a 13 year old watching it.
"Please stand down, I don't want meaningless bloodshed!" chaos-Xenosaga

"Who are you?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be suffering." - Hakuro, Utawarerumono

"Dirty thoughts are bad!" Mahoro, Mahoromatic

Help my dragons to grow, please!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aleolus

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:36 pm

Robin Firedrake (post: 1267581) wrote:I'm looking for any clean anime that a 13 year old boy might like to watch. As little magic as possible too please.

D.N. Angel is a good one. Pretty much squeaky clean aside from some magic near the end. It's pretty slow moving at first but once you get about half way, the story and action really pick up.

Fate/Stay Night would be a better pick for a male (lots of action, quick moving story), however magic plays an extremely heavy role throughout the whole series. That and in like the last two episodes there's some brief barbie doll nudity.

Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight would be another good one for that age but again, lots of magic and praying to false gods for magical powers.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Sanderson » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:40 pm

Feebeefi (post: 1262643) wrote:Can anyone recommend any good mecha anime to me? I've wanted to watch some for a while but I don't know where to start.

As a complete newbie to mecha anime which series would you recommend to get me going?

Also, is Code Geass worth watching?

Gurren Lagann is good, especially if you're looking for a mecha anime that doesn't feel like Gundam.
Sanderson

Postby Aleolus » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:05 pm

I recently found a series that I think looks hilarious, but I'm wondering if anyone else knows much about it, and if they can clear up some confusions I have with it. It's called Samurai Pizza Cats, and all I know about it is that it's about a group of cats who fight crime as Samurai's, and who run a pizzeria to supplement their income. Is there any more to it, or a particular storyline that it follows, or is it just 'baddie of the week' type thing?

"Who are you?"

Aleolus

Postby Robin Firedrake » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:30 pm

Any more recommendations for me?
Robin Firedrake

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:01 pm

Aleolus wrote:Is there any more to it, or a particular storyline that it follows, or is it just 'baddie of the week' type thing?

I would say neither. It's an episodic comedy.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:48 pm

I just finished "Scrapped Princess".. Can anyone recommend a series simular to it?

If not, anything shoujo-y loaded with romance, comedy, action (o.O;) and of course with a solid storyline ^___^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Ingemar » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:19 am

[quote="Tsukuyomi (post: 1269192)"]If not, anything shoujo-y loaded with romance, comedy, action (o.O]Then you definitely do not want to see GaoGaiGar.

Wait. That didn't sound right. GaoGaiGar is the [SIZE="7"]raddest series ever.[/SIZE]The problem is that it isn't shoujo-y and there's little romance. There's some comedy and a vessel-load of action and a solid storyline deliberartely opposite that of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:21 pm

I want ice cream :(.. I mean, how funny is the funny?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby yukoxholic » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:26 pm

[quote="Tsukuyomi (post: 1269192)"]I just finished "Scrapped Princess".. Can anyone recommend a series simular to it?

If not, anything shoujo-y loaded with romance, comedy, action (o.O]

Chrono Crusade! So sad, I enjoyed both the anime and manga but it does have certain aspects in it that some may find offensive.
yukoxholic

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:29 pm

yukoxholic (post: 1269326) wrote:Chrono Crusade! So sad, I enjoyed both the anime and manga but it does have certain aspects in it that some may find offensive.

Thank you so much, Aki ^__^ I started that series, but kinda dropped it for some reason ^ ^

It was at a good part too u_u

Thanks for reminding me of it :)
Tsukuyomi

Postby Robin Firedrake » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:17 pm

Annnyyybooooodddyyyy?
Robin Firedrake

Postby Roz » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:35 pm

I'm looking for something to start after I finish Last Exile. I have enjoyed Buso Renkin, Figure 17, Get Backers, The Twelve Kingdoms and am really liking Last Exile so far (episode 8). I would like something(s) with comedy (but can have serious moments), happy ending and VERY little objectionable material (Lord of the Rings level of violence is ok, REALLY don't like bad religion and weird sexual stuff).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Roz
Roz

Postby animeantics » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:45 pm

Is Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle Clean? I've seen the Manga review but there isn't one for the anime. It looks very very good and since Vic Mignogna is voicing Fai I'm all for watching it, but only if it's clean.
animeantics

Postby animeantics » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:49 pm

And I'm sorry for double-posting but like Tsukuyomi said, I like shoujo-y romance/drama/comedy with EXTREMEMLY MINIMAL objectional content.
Example, No uses of God's name in vain. That's not tolerated WHATSOEVER.

Some Shounen is Okay :D Sometimes I don't want Sugary stuff, but ACTION (Naruto-like)
animeantics

Postby RobinSena » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:26 pm

animeantics (post: 1272389) wrote:And I'm sorry for double-posting but like Tsukuyomi said, I like shoujo-y romance/drama/comedy with EXTREMEMLY MINIMAL objectional content.
Example, No uses of God's name in vain. That's not tolerated WHATSOEVER

Out of curiosity, do you only use Christian sites and the like? Because with the way that "OMG" is so often used on the internet, I'm just wondering how that works.

As for double posting, there's an "Edit" button at the bottom of your post, so you can add more, instead of having to double post. =)
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby animeantics » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:19 pm

Well, I don't really count OMG as God's name in Vain, Although I pronounce OMG as Oh My Gosh. I dislike it when people say the other OMG, but I don't consider it very offensive. I guess I mean God's name paired with another Four-letter-word.
animeantics

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:23 pm

Hmmm...would anyone here recommend Tentai Senshi Sunred anime? I heard it is interesting and wonder if anyone has seen it.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Aleolus » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:53 am

OK, right now I'm in a nostolgic mood, so can anyone recommend anime that are similar to some of my favorite cartoons growing up, Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Sonic The Hedgehog and the Adventures of Sonic, and other shows along these lines?

"Who are you?"

Aleolus

Postby minakichan » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:29 am

Example, No uses of God's name in vain. That's not tolerated WHATSOEVER.

Er, anime is USUALLY written in Japanese, and they don't... do that that much (unless they're making a stereotype about Westerners or it's one of those "Oh God, oh Buddha, oh Satan!" kinds of scenes). If you're seeing that in a translation, the translator is probably taking artistic liberties.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby animeantics » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:53 pm

Yeah...that makes alot of sense.

Like the FLCL manga, it's had that several times, so it went back to the store.
animeantics

Postby minakichan » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:58 pm

Like the FLCL manga, it's had that several times, so it went back to the store.

Haha, FLCL is "objectionable" for a lot more than just that element, that's for sure ^^;;;;
ImageImage
minakichan

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews