Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby FukuokaGirl » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:37 pm

YAY! I feel much more on track now! ^__^
Arigatou minna! Thanks everyone!

I have a list to watch now!!!! No more searching... for awhile at least hehe.
I'm excited!
"They do exist, the places you can live renewed." -Nobuta wo Produce
[align=left]ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

[align=center]思い出せば遙か遙か 未来はどこまでも輝いてた きれいな青空の下で 僕らは少しだけ怯えていた

[/align]
[/align]
[size=75]

[/SIZE]
FukuokaGirl

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:02 am

All right I just finished the first season Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle and I'm looking for something to watch in between the first and second seasons. I'm *mostly* looking for shonen but shojo and seinen is good too. I've never watched josei so I'm not sure if I would like it.

Here's a list of some of the anime I watched and my thoughts on it...

Angelic Layer - A sweet story.
Bleach - Love at first watch.
Cardcaptor Sakura - Nice. A really good shojo.
Digimon - I've only seen a few episodes but it might grow on me.... I hear it's deeper than Pokemon and I do like my plots deep.
Dragon Ball - I've seen 3 episodes and I'm seriously considering dropping it. -_- Do the awkward situations and perverted themes end soon? I hear they become less frequent as the series goes on. Maybe I can skip DB and just go into Z and GT?
D.N.Angel - One of my favorites.
Fruits Basket - Love. <3 Great plot, adorable characters, my favorite shojo. :)
Inu Yasha - Captivating.
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha - All right, so at first I couldn't stand it. It felt like some cheap rip-off of Cardcaptor Sakura. Now it's actually getting better and more original. I like how it's becoming more action-packed. I still wouldn't rank it as high as CCS though.
Naruto - Addicting.
One Piece - Not as good as Naruto and Bleach, but still likable.
Ouran High School Host Club - Only seen 3 episodes, but it has great promise. I'll keep watching for sure.
Pokemon - Part of my childhood, so gotta love it. Though I'd probably find it kinda lame if I JUST started watching now... since I prefer deeper plots and not just kiddie stuff.
Princess Tutu - Not the best, but far from the worst. On a scale of 10, it deserves at least an 8... at the VERY least. I liked the fairy tale themes. Very ingenious plot with twist and turns I didn't expect. Grand.
Rurouni Kenshin - Another love at first watch.
Sailor Moon - Cute. Not my favorite, but cute and fun to watch.
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle - Perfect blend of action, drama, romance, and adventure. CLAMP's masterpiece.
xxxHOLiC - Haven't seen enough episodes to decide.

I also read one volume of .hack//Legend of the Twilight and really liked it. Is the anime worth getting into?
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Robin Firedrake » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:31 am

Ok. I'm looking for clean anime on legal streaming sites. Any ideas?
Robin Firedrake

Postby MasterDias » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:17 pm

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1296801) wrote:All right I just finished the first season Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle and I'm looking for something to watch in between the first and second seasons. I'm *mostly* looking for shonen but shojo and seinen is good too. I've never watched josei so I'm not sure if I would like it.

Based on your list, try one of these:

Soul Eater
Fullmetal Alchemist
Death Note
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hunter X Hunter
D.Gray-man
Busou Renkin

If you like Clamp's titles, Magic Knight Rayearth might also be worth checking out. It is one of their older series.

...and for something somewhat different, I'll recommend Toradora! to you as a shonen romantic comedy.

You might want to wait on Dragon Ball Z. A "recut" version is going to air in Japan in April, which will supposedly remove all the pointless filler and stalling that plagued it originally. Otherwise, it will be tiring to get through.

Ok. I'm looking for clean anime on legal streaming sites. Any ideas?

I suppose you could try Naruto Shippuden, which is being streamed on several of the sites in subtitled form. A couple episodes have some crude humor, but I've always sort of considered the series being fairly clean. Although, I don't know if the official subs use very much language, but you could check out 1 or 2 episodes to see if it fits your criteria.

I believe Kiba is being streamed at the Anime Network site. Since it previously ran on Toonami Jetstream, I'm assuming it's fairly clean, but I only saw a few episodes, so someone else can correct me if this is false.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure I can think of anything else I could really recommend to you right now...

It might be worth noting that several of the sites have standard TV ratings(TVPG, TV14, etc.) for each episode that do help judge content to an extent, but many of them tend to be rather inconsistent so I would use caution in using them too much.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:23 pm

I've heard a lot of Magic Knight Rayearth and I'm thinking I'll surely keep an eye out on that one. The other ones all sound interesting. Thanks for the dragon ball advice. :)\

I've never heard of Toradora!. I'll have to look it up on MAL. Thanks. :)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby RandomBurrito » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:42 am

Me again! Well..... now that I've watched all of 5cm per second I wanna move on to another anime. Anyone know of any other animes with a more realistic style (or regular, doesn't matter) and that's clean, free of magic and that's not against God. (I hope I said that correctly). Thanks to those who have helped me in the past!
[SIZE="5"][color="White"]Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! [/color][/SIZE]

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
:hug:
RandomBurrito

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:35 am

Ok... I've been on an anime hiatus for a while. Mostly cause I was getting bored with the series I was picking up lately. Anyway... I'm looking for something that archs over 1, 2 or 3 seasons, picks up pace quick, doesn't slow down and has an epic conclusion. Excellent beautiful art style is a must. I'm sorry I know people say it's the story that is important but if it's crudely drawn, I just can't keep interested no matter how good the story.

I was considering Avatar: The Last Airbender even though I know it was made in America. But I've heard great things about it.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:11 am

Scarecrow (post: 1299339) wrote:picks up pace quick, doesn't slow down
Scarecrow (post: 1299339) wrote:has an epic conclusion
Scarecrow (post: 1299339) wrote:Excellent beautiful art style is a must.
Scarecrow I do not believe you have seen Giant Robo. You should fix this as soon as possible.

Though granted, it is only 7 (hour-long) episodes. Japan, why did you not let Yasuhiro Imagawa continue with his noble work.
Fish and Chips

Postby ilikegir33 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:51 am

Scarecrow (post: 1299339) wrote:Ok... I've been on an anime hiatus for a while. Mostly cause I was getting bored with the series I was picking up lately. Anyway... I'm looking for something that archs over 1, 2 or 3 seasons, picks up pace quick, doesn't slow down and has an epic conclusion. Excellent beautiful art style is a must. I'm sorry I know people say it's the story that is important but if it's crudely drawn, I just can't keep interested no matter how good the story.

I have no qualms recommending the series Noir for you, if you haven't seen it. The art style in Noir is amazing, and not to mention, it picks up the pace immediately after the addictive opening theme is over. The conclusion is one of the most epic I've seen. And in terms of content, read the review. Like it says, it's definitely not as violent as other series of its type. I recommend it.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby ilikegir33 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:03 am

RandomBurrito (post: 1297802) wrote:Me again! Well..... now that I've watched all of 5cm per second I wanna move on to another anime. Anyone know of any other animes with a more realistic style (or regular, doesn't matter) and that's clean, free of magic and that's not against God. (I hope I said that correctly). Thanks to those who have helped me in the past!

Again, I must recommend Noir. It's extremely stylish and an excellent series. Although it's a girls-with-guns anime, it keeps the violence to a minimum, and there's no blood. The only other offensive content worth noting is some *very* minor nudity near the end of the series (it's in silhouette), a brief unwanted kiss (also near the end of the series), and that's it. Watch it subbed or dubbed if you wish, because both are excellent (a rarity). So, Noir is clean, free of magic (except for the rite of passage for the two main characters to call themselves the Noir, which is brief), and not against God (it actually has an excellent message: love can save, hate can kill. Oh, and the music is good too; I imported all 3 soundtracks. Noir is a must-watch.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Hmmm, a realistic anime.. I would say.. Ghost In The Shell ^^?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby blkmage » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:36 pm

Me again! Well..... now that I've watched all of 5cm per second I wanna move on to another anime. Anyone know of any other animes with a more realistic style (or regular, doesn't matter) and that's clean, free of magic and that's not against God. (I hope I said that correctly). Thanks to those who have helped me in the past!

Aria, Casshern Sins, Dennou Coil, Kure-nai, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Toshokan Sensou

Ok... I've been on an anime hiatus for a while. Mostly cause I was getting bored with the series I was picking up lately. Anyway... I'm looking for something that archs over 1, 2 or 3 seasons, picks up pace quick, doesn't slow down and has an epic conclusion. Excellent beautiful art style is a must. I'm sorry I know people say it's the story that is important but if it's crudely drawn, I just can't keep interested no matter how good the story.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Baccano, Xam'd: Lost Memories, Kara no Kyoukai, Seirei no Moribito, Casshern Sins
blkmage

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:04 pm

Where would you even suggest people find Xam'd: Lost Memories? It's only on the Playstation Network where it's outrageously expensive.
Fish and Chips

Postby RandomBurrito » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:47 pm

Thank you ilikegir33, Tsukuyomi and blkmage!!!!! That's alot of help, thanks again ^_^
[SIZE="5"][color="White"]Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! [/color][/SIZE]

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
:hug:
RandomBurrito

Postby Benn » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:09 pm

FukuokaGirl (post: 1296612) wrote:Help! I'm looking for a new series!

I like darker, more mature anime. (though the occasional comedy is definitely appreciated)

I just finished Vampire Knight (and Guilty), and am looking for something along those lines.
Previous titles with the same feel I'm looking for are: X/1999, Ayashi no Ceres, Basilisk, Ergo Proxy, Saikano.

Any recommendations? I'm 24.. so I'm adult. I can handle mature stuff. But... nothing ridiculous gratuitous ya know? Like Gantz... bleck. :P

Sorry this is a late recommendation.. but have you seen Kino's Journey? It sometimes deals with the darker side of humanity.

Casshern Sins is also another good one, unfortunately i don't believe it's licensed in the US yet. Ga-rei Zero is another darker anime as well but I think there might be some fan-service in it... can't remember... but if my memory of the first six episodes serves me right there's nothing as gratuitous as Gantz.
Benn

Postby minakichan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:08 am

Really broad request here...

Any and all one core (13 episodes give or take a few) anime that are good.

I'm trying to get my anime club to play more 13-ep series because of some logistic restraints, but I realized that I actually don't have that many to suggest XD;;;

I say "good" without any caveats because I want to capture a large range of tastes, not just my own.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby MasterDias » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:58 am

[quote="minakichan (post: 1300548)"]Really broad request here...

I'm trying to get my anime club to play more 13-ep series because of some logistic restraints, but I realized that I actually don't have that many to suggest XD]

Rideback was what immediately came to mind. It's my favorite of the winter shows.

I'm assuming you have shown them Baccano?

I enjoyed Amatsuki, but it does have an annoyingly non-existent ending, and is probably too talky for a lot of people.

Ga-Rei Zero got a fair amount of buzz when it was airing, although I only watched a few episodes.

Are you eliminating 1-cour series that later got a sequel? I'm tempted to recommend Birdy the Mighty Decode. The sequel started airing this winter, but the first series does tell a complete story.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby minakichan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:44 am

I'm assuming you have shown them Baccano?

Haha, yep, I'd be a terrible fangirl if I hadn't.

I liked Amatsuki and Rideback, and a lot of people liked Ga-Rei Zero when we sampled it, so these would be nice. ^_^

Are you eliminating 1-cour series that later got a sequel? I'm tempted to recommend Birdy the Mighty Decode. The sequel started airing this winter, but the first series does tell a complete story.

Actually, that's fine if it tells a complete story. (Oh man, Tetsuwan Birdy, I watched you back in middle school ahahaha.)

Thanks!

Ah, but they don't have to all be recent series; older stuff and things on DVD are great as well! (Lol, when I say broad, I really mean like, ANY series at all, hahaha. I mean, preferably in this decade perhaps.)
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby blkmage » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:33 pm

Commence list dump:

Slice of Life
Aria the Animation
Hidamari Sketch
Minami-ke
Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!
Natsume Yuujinchou
Sketchbook full color'S

Comedy
Kannagi
Maria+Holic
Moyashimon
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Dramas
Air
ef - a tale of memories
Kure-nai
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora
Spice and Wolf
Toshokan Sensou
True Tears

Hells yeah White Devil
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha

Sequels
Aria the Origination (Aria the Natural sits in between this and the first season, but it's 26 episodes)
Hidmari Sketch x365
Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou
Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
ef - a tale of melodies.
Nodame Cantabile: Paris Chapter
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's

Just in case
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:48 pm

[quote="minakichan (post: 1300598)"]
Actually, that's fine if it tells a complete story. (Oh man, Tetsuwan Birdy, I watched you back in middle school ahahaha.)

Thanks!

Ah, but they don't have to all be recent series]
Crest of the Stars is the oldest 1-cour TV series I can think of. It has sequels but is supposed to stand reasonably well alone.

Rozen Maiden/Black Lagoon/Zero no Tsukaima are other 1-cour shows that later got continuations. Don't know how well they stand alone however.

There is also Kaiba, if anyone is into more experimental shows.

MasterDias

Postby Scarecrow » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:01 pm

[quote="minakichan (post: 1300598)"]

Ah, but they don't have to all be recent series]

Air, Keno's Journey, Mermaid's Forest, and Siakano. Though I thought Saikano was insanely boring and too much whining but most people seem to like it so I dunno. Air is really good and is one of my favorites. Keno's Journey is also excellent. Mermaid's Forest is pretty good but doesn't really tell a full story.. but it was never meant too (in the manga either). Still it's a pretty good horror type anime.
Scarecrow

Postby ilikegir33 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:33 pm

PARANOIA AGENT. WATCH IT. NOW. SERIOUSLY.
Others I think are good:

-Black Lagoon (and The Second Barrage)
-Now and Then, Here and There (IF you can find it)
-Hitohira (it's also pretty good, but a bit like AzuDai)
-The SoulTaker (EXCELLENT show. Among Tatsunoko's best series. Dark and disturbing, and liberal with some artfully displayed Christian imagery, but excellent nonetheless. Directed by Akiyuki Shinbo, my favorite anime director. Oddly enough, Nurse Witch Komugi is its spinoff, but it's much lighter and ecchi-er.)
-NiEA_7 (if you can find it; like Serial Experiments Lain meets Excel Saga, only less crude.)
-Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi (if Gainax did Excel Saga, this is what it would be, but my advice is to skip episodes 1 and 7. They're the melodramatic episodes. Also, one of the characters is named Mune Mune. That's self explanatory, right?)
-Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
-Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid
-Gunslinger Girl
-Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino
-Tower of Druaga: the Aegis of Uruk
-Tower of Druaga: the Sword of Uruk

Well, those are the series that I can think of.
ilikegir33

Postby Gy273 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:53 pm

I am looking for a few good anime movies. Here is what I've seen and/or own. Howl's moving castle, Porco Rosso, Girl who leapt through time, Castle in the sky, Spirited away, most Miyazaki movies. Though I wish they would release Tales from Earthsea in the USA and Ponyo comes out soon so I may see it when it comes out. Well, I hope that helps. I prefer more modern movies that is those that were made recently not 1990's or younger unless it's really good. It's just the styling that I don't like that's all. Hope that helps. :) Those aren't all the ones I own just a few. By the way, don't mention the Naruto movies, I saw the first one and I liked it so I'm sure the others will be good too(regardless of what others say I like the series).
Gy273

Postby blkmage » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:08 pm

5 Centimeters per Second is a romance/drama, directed by Makoto Shinkai. The visuals are absolutely stunning and the story is pretty good. Similar in style is Shinkai's other work, The Place Promised in Our Early Days.

Kara no Kyoukai is a series of movies that are an adaptation of the Type-Moon novel of the same name. Also beautifully animated with amazing fight choreography. The sixth movie was in theatres a few months ago, with a DVD release on the way and the seventh movie will be in theatres later this year.

And then there's stuff I haven't watched yet but have heard lots about, so you might want to check these out: The Sky Crawlers, Sword of the Stranger
blkmage

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:10 pm

Gy273 (post: 1301810) wrote:I am looking for a few good anime movies. Here is what I've seen and/or own. Howl's moving castle, Porco Rosso, Girl who leapt through time, Castle in the sky, Spirited away, most Miyazaki movies. Though I wish they would release Tales from Earthsea in the USA and Ponyo comes out soon so I may see it when it comes out. Well, I hope that helps. I prefer more modern movies that is those that were made recently not 1990's or younger unless it's really good. It's just the styling that I don't like that's all. Hope that helps. :) Those aren't all the ones I own just a few. By the way, don't mention the Naruto movies, I saw the first one and I liked it so I'm sure the others will be good too(regardless of what others say I like the series).

Well... I don't know how old you are but Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is about one of my favorite anime movies. It's quite bloody/violent but the artwork is amazing and my personal favorite out of any anime movie I've seen. Pretty good story too. The first movie (Vampire Hunter D) is also pretty good but that was made in the 80s and has that distinct 80s look so you probably wouldn't like it. And it's not needed to understand Bloodlust.

Another good movie is Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal. That would probably have to be my second favorite anime movie. It's actually a 4-part OVA but it was released as a full length movie with no breaks as Trust and Betrayal: Directors Cut. Also quite bloody/violent but good none the less.

Also, Air: The Movie. I haven't seen it, but I have seen the series which was great and this is supposedly pretty good as well. From the trailer I saw, the art looked quite amazing too.
Scarecrow

Postby Gy273 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:52 am

Well, I'm not much for blood and violence really. As for 5 centimeters per second it's not being distributed in North America anymore for some reason. So, if I'm not mistaken Samurai X is Kenshin? Do I need to see the Kenshin series to watch Samurai X are both versions bloody or just the directors cut? As for Air: The Movie I've seen a few episodes of the tv series and enjoyed it.
Gy273

Postby Scarecrow » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:41 pm

Well, I only have the DC but I'm told it really isn't much different aside from the fact there are no breaks and you watch it like a full length movie. It's not overly excessive in the violence, but when there is a fight or something, it usually ends with a sword through someone's head or something...

And no you don't need to see the series as this is really a prequel to the series and pretty much stands a lone (I've never watched the series). It's also a lot darker/serious than the series I'm told.
Scarecrow

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:05 pm

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal (which I shall henceforth refer to as Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen) serves to flesh out the background of Kenshin. It is standalone, although it's certainly a lot more meaningful if you watch it after you get to know Kenshin in the main story.

The main story of RK is about Kenshin trying to atone for his past and move on. We don't know that much about Kenshin except for the fact that he's famous for being a notorious assassin during the Meiji Revolution. By the time the Meiji Revolution is over, he's wandering around the country, helping people out and has vowed never to kill again. Throughout the series, his old enemies resurface and force him to confront his past and overcome it. In RK, Kenshin is fairly easygoing and wishes to protect his friends.

Tsuiokuhen then provides the contrast to his character in the main series. He's not the same Kenshin that we knew; he's now the famous, ruthless assassin that we've only heard about. We can see just how skilled he was, since we never really see him go all out during the series. We can see how different he is and why he'd want to atone for the sins he's committed, why he's made so many enemies, and the events that made him change.
blkmage

Postby Gy273 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:27 pm

I have a question regarding Fullmetal Alchemist the movie. Do I have to see the series to watch the movie or is it also standalone? Thank you.
Gy273

Postby MasterDias » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:03 pm

Gy273 (post: 1302412) wrote:I have a question regarding Fullmetal Alchemist the movie. Do I have to see the series to watch the movie or is it also standalone? Thank you.

Yes, the movie is a direct sequel to the series.

MasterDias

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews