Review Requests

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby CDLviking » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:14 pm

I notice you're writing one for R.O.D. the movie. I'm assuming that's the OVA. I can do one for the TV series.
CDLviking

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:26 pm

We have a review for Warrior of the Wind, but do we have one for the complete Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind? If not, I'd be glad to write one after it's released in February.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:37 pm

I was thinking of writing a review up for Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (Knockin's on Heavens Door). Anyone intrested a review on that or someone else want to do it?
Hitokiri

Postby Gypsy » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:50 pm

CDLviking wrote:I notice you're writing one for R.O.D. the movie. I'm assuming that's the OVA. I can do one for the TV series.

K, that'll be great!

Mangafanatic wrote:We have a review for Warrior of the Wind, but do we have one for the complete Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind? If not, I'd be glad to write one after it's released in February.

I'm pretty sure the review covered both versions of the movie. I know almost nothing about Nausicaa. I thought it was just the one movie. Is there a series?
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Yojimbo » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:12 pm

I started writing one for Macross Plus a few days ago. And I'm working on Samurai Champloo
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:16 pm

Gypsy wrote:I'm pretty sure the review covered both versions of the movie. I know almost nothing about Nausicaa. I thought it was just the one movie. Is there a series?

You're probably right. There's only one movie, but there's two versions of the movie. Warrior of the Wind= a horribly butchered version released by some insane company. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind= complete version of Miyizaki's classic. But it looks from the review as if it covers both. Sorry to cause a distraction.

Now I have to find another series to review! *snaps!*
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Gypsy » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:30 am

Many of you have PMed me to let me know you're working on a reviewing specific series. Would it be helpful if I made a sublist for upcoming reviews, even if other members haven't requested them yet?
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:33 am

Gypsy wrote:Many of you have PMed me to let me know you're working on a reviewing specific series. Would it be helpful if I made a sublist for upcoming reviews, even if other members haven't requested them yet?

Thank you, that would be very helpful Gypsy. I have some titles that I was thinking about doing a review for other than the ones I've already committed to. But if I knew someone else was working on them than I could just strike those from my list.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Gypsy » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:21 am

That's all I needed to hear, thanks! I'll sift through my inbox and compile the list later this afternoon.
Gypsy

Postby shooraijin » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:33 pm

I'll just publicly put up my list; I'm working on the remaining 4 UY movies, YUA! and the YUA! movie.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Rogie » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:08 pm

Gypsy already knows that I'm working on reviews of the 5 different seasons of Sailor Moon and the Sailor Moon movies. If no one else has signed up, I can also work on Don't Leave Me Alone Daisy and Gundam 0083, but those may take a little while. (Hope this helps you out with your list, Gypsy!)
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby olorc » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:01 pm

i would like a review of Gatekeepers if anyone has seen it.
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Gypsy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:32 am

The list (post #1 of this thread) is updated - if you contacted me about a review you're working on and I didn't add it, please let me know. Now all I have to do is tweak a couple reviews, polish up the review essay, and I *think* I'll be back on top of things. ^^
Gypsy

Postby true_noir_chloe » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:11 pm

I've seen Gatekeepers, Olorc, and can give you a quickie review via pm if you like. Let me know. Were there any specific concerns you had toward this show? And, have you seen Gatekeepers 21?

BTW, great job of running this section, Gypsy. ^___^

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby olorc » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:41 pm

ooo. :/ there's a difference between Gatekeepers and Gatekeepers 21? :brow: I guess I'ld like to know the difference and also what genre anime they are. Also specifically any sexual content they might have at all (even fan service and/or skimpy clothes) Also violence/gore/brutality if there is any would be nice to know about. Tanhks a lot chloe
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Hitokiri » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:22 pm

Could someone do a review for Excel Saga? I started getting into it but I heard some stuff about it that didnt please me really.

And also Argentosama?
Hitokiri

Postby Arnobius » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:40 pm

Hitokiri wrote:Could someone do a review for Excel Saga? I started getting into it but I heard some stuff about it that didnt please me really.

What kind of stuff did you hear? I have the entire series manga and anime so maybe I can help you.
Arnobius

Postby Rogie » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:59 pm

I watched the first disc of Excel Saga, and that was it for me. A little too objectionable to me, and it was the first anime in which I had ever heard the "f" word said (in an English dub or in reading subtitles).

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
Rogie

Postby Arnobius » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:15 pm

rogie_san wrote:I watched the first disc of Excel Saga, and that was it for me. A little too objectionable to me, and it was the first anime in which I had ever heard the "f" word said (in an English dub or in reading subtitles).

They're not in the subtitles, I can tell you that straight out. The profanity is courtesy of ADV's "There's no way we'll get this on TV, so let's make this as crass as possible." Truth is, it's mostly a PG13 equivalent, but the final episode was deliberately made as a "too extreme for TV" style and is filled with all sorts of really raunchy stuff.

The reason I can tell you this about subtitles is that I showed this to my youngest brother (Osaka) subbed and felt it was OK for him (I skipped episode 26 and one other about the rock star). Later I showed he second youngest who only watches dubs. We were Ok until the second episode where, in the subs, Excel says "Oh Il Palazzo, I love you a lot" The dub inserted the 4 letter word there. Me and my youngest brother were totally shocked because the sub is totally mild in comparison...

It's another reason I have for hating dubs...
Arnobius

Postby CDLviking » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:55 pm

Why don't you write a review for it? You seem well versed.
CDLviking

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:16 am

olorc wrote:ooo. :/ there's a difference between Gatekeepers and Gatekeepers 21?

Gatekeepers came first and Gatekeepers 21 was (sort of) a sequel.

Mangafanatic

Postby Rogie » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:24 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:They're not in the subtitles, I can tell you that straight out. The profanity is courtesy of ADV's "There's no way we'll get this on TV, so let's make this as crass as possible." Truth is, it's mostly a PG13 equivalent, but the final episode was deliberately made as a "too extreme for TV" style and is filled with all sorts of really raunchy stuff.

The reason I can tell you this about subtitles is that I showed this to my youngest brother (Osaka) subbed and felt it was OK for him (I skipped episode 26 and one other about the rock star). Later I showed he second youngest who only watches dubs. We were Ok until the second episode where, in the subs, Excel says "Oh Il Palazzo, I love you a lot" The dub inserted the 4 letter word there. Me and my youngest brother were totally shocked because the sub is totally mild in comparison...

It's another reason I have for hating dubs...

Yeah, I watched the first disc of Excel Saga before I was a sub-only fan, so I figured that some things were different. Thanks for clearing that one up.

It's still a shame that companies have to ruin a potentially decent/clean anime (Excel Saga may still stretch that a bit -- I dunnow) by making the dub filthy. And, of course, when a company ruins a great anime by including a ridiculous dub and title (*cough cough* Detective Conan/Case Closed *cough cough*)

:grin:

Rogie

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:59 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:What kind of stuff did you hear? I have the entire series manga and anime so maybe I can help you.

Lesbian Androids, the last episode to name a few. I bought myself the first DVD and I found it......ok. I'm random but that series made my head spin
Hitokiri

Postby Arnobius » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:24 pm

Hitokiri wrote:Lesbian Androids, the last episode to name a few. I bought myself the first DVD and I found it......ok. I'm random but that series made my head spin

Hmm, there are some substance to your concerns, that I'll try to address. The last episode was excessively crude. The director wanted to create a "Too hot for TV" episode (it was originally an OVA and was later shown on a premium cable chanel). From what I understand, Shinichi Watanabe (AKA Nabeshin) was thumbing his nose at the Japanese censors. None of the material in this episode of the anime existed in the manga at all (the "controversial" material that they couldn't use from the manga was the fact that Hyatt abuses prescription drugs and could be considered a drug addict-- Japanese censors come down *VERY* hard on drug humor).

I think the thing most likely to offend members of CAA comes from the manga (volume 1) where Ilpalazzo makes some incredibly offensive references to Jesus Christ and Christianity. This material was eliminated from the TV series.

CDLViking wrote:Why don't you write a review for it? You seem well versed.

Never thought about that, I could try. I might not be objective enough...

Do I just make a formal declaration I'm going to make one? Who do I send it to?
<Goes off to look for info in the Anime forum>
Arnobius

Postby Arnobius » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:36 pm

Excel Saga
Arnobius

Postby shooraijin » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:01 pm

You could PM Gypsy as well, just to make sure she's aware of it.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Arnobius » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:39 pm

shooraijin wrote:You could PM Gypsy as well, just to make sure she's aware of it.

Yes, I did that (don't know if she got it yet). Took me awhile to find my way around. So I PM'd her and then stumbled across the form for the review, filled it out and submitted it for approval. I don't know if I have any talent for it or not. Guess we'll find out whether it gets approved or not.

:sweat: I do have to say that when objectively looking at the categories of inappropriate behavior, it seemed a lot worse than it did when I just sit down at the TV to watch
Arnobius

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:11 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:I don't know if I have any talent for it or not. Guess we'll find out whether it gets approved or not.

No worries! Talent is not a requirement. :lol:

Mangafanatic

Postby Arnobius » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:21 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:No worries! Talent is not a requirement. :lol:

Don't know if I should feel relieved or insulted by that :lol:
Arnobius

Postby Ashley » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:39 pm

Gundam SEED and/or Gundam SEED: Destiny (is there a difference?)
Ashley

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews